Is this requirement to have a faith 'capacity' to arguably fully participate within ATS a good or a bad thing?
If I'm discussing science and someone comes in the room spouting faith...
1. Maybe they have a moral objection and this is the only way they will, or can, express it. I can usually make a counter point, conclusion, or
agreement with them in the same scientific language I started with.
2. Maybe they are doing the old consciousness heightening thing, and are trying to tell me that my focus is too narrow or there are other variables to
consider. But I find that if I widen the scope of the discussion usually a great number of other categories can come up too, so that I don't have to
answer them, or concede, in science or faith I can respond in any style from the various boards here on ATS.
3. Maybe they are just nit picking, and worse they are doing it in the language of faith. In those cases I try to shoot them down in their own
language. This is where Atheists and I drink wine together. But because of that I take twice, or three times as long to reflect before responding.
I have to make sure that I'm not just trampling over someone, and am more opening a set of curtains in their drawing room. Let them see how their own
chess board is arranged.
4. Maybe it's a straight out hijack attempt or interception. They come in at a random angle, run off to an area they are more comfortable with, and
leave everyone chasing them. This causes them to run even faster into their own end zone. In this case a simple don't feed the trolls will earn you
50% of the readers instantly, and the nut can run into their own end zone and watch themselves dance alone. Hmmmm, improve that? Don't feed the
trolls, especially ones dressed in wings?
5. The friendly police officer. If I feel overwhelmed by sheep, I stop planning openly how to herd sheep and just start herding them. A friendly
direction to another thread, a thank you for contributing, and the best one, tell me more. If they make me mad I'll consider pitting their comments
against one of their own kinds'.
6. If I agree with them acknowledge it and move on.
7. If I even think they are being rude, disruptive, immature, or any number of other odious behaviors, even if they think they are just pretending, I
will leave. It is to their disadvantage that I leave, the same I feel about almost all of the members here. That we would be lessened if anyone were
completely driven off. I would not want to drive anyone off.
edit on 28-9-2010 by davidgrouchy because: their there