It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama answers the question: Why are you a Christian?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Obama answers the question: Why are you a Christian?

www.reuters.com

"And I think also understanding that, you know, that Jesus Christ dying for my sins spoke to the humility we all have to have as human beings -- that we're sinful and we're flawed and we make mistakes, and that we ... achieve salvation through the grace of God."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
this is probably the most detailed acknowledment or basic specifics I've seen yet from Obama and thought this makes for good breaking alternative news and of course this is one of my most favoritist subjects to internet about, sorry mods if wrong spot and I did'nt see any other threads, so if all looks good let the clanging of irons begin

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 28-9-2010 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

hmmm "christian by choice"

"My mother was one of the most spiritual people I knew but she didn't raise me in the church. So I came to my Christian faith later in life," he said.

well hes a poor christian for one by his own actions and his own words i was raised in the church i was also taught to turn the other cheek and i was taught judge not lest ye be judged and i was also taught let he who is without sin cast the first stone........

well he hasnt turned the other cheek
well he judges me and my fellow americans who think as i do
and he continually casts the stones to the discontent to his actions and his words.

christian by choice bah just a politician by choice

edit on 28-9-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rustami
this is probably the most detailed acknowledment or basic specifics I've seen yet from Obama

Actually, none of this is new from him. He spoke even more extensively on these matters in his books, it's just that nobody reads or bothers to quote him from the books, so people are now going to say, "why didn't he say any of this before?" But he has, and in great detail.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeInDeath

your probably right but I'm sure I'm not alone in not reading or purchasing books as much as in times past and personally when I do take the time it's focused, so if it is not in drive by news or word of mouth it's unknown

Ecc-
Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

very indepth trying (or should I say refining) gutwrenching times across the "bailout" board no doubt, but on the other hand I cannot help but sense Glorious times ahead

Daniel-
Some of the wise will stumble, so that they may be refined, purified and made spotless until the time of the end, for it will still come at the appointed time.

Colossians-
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

Romans-
For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God. We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
What should his religion have to do with anything? I guess by telling people just the core belief then you've passed the requirments for being christian.... Now that I think of it, he could have just said hey I'm christian, isn't that what most christian people do to prove their belief to you?

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Who gives a #? Religion should never be mixed with politics; it never ends well. Oh wait, I almost forgot, the US suffers from a majority that swims in fanaticism.

edit on 28-9-2010 by DisappearCompletely because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

Personally, I'm glad his mom didn't brainwash him with religion.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

everything- what if their religion is suicidal and wants to destroy the earth and heavens?

no- but there are definately a few specifics given in the scriptures to know them by and against popular stereotypical oponion, it has to do with freedom at least that's how I read it

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I await the day when a politican can be elected without being hounded with questions about his religion, or even, someday, a lack thereof.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

I think there is such an animal some day

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ohsnaptruth

I'm not sure what her ideology religion or worldview was but I know for sure I was not too impressed by the "we dance like this" thing by J. Wright(I think that was his name)

Matthew-
Anyone who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Rustami

keep up the faith and indeed but those times are not today and they wont come tomorrow until people wake up

and make the choice to do what they must to get to those glorious times for god does help those who help themselves.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
i was taught judge not lest ye be judged and i was also taught let he who is without sin cast the first stone........

You were not taught very well. You seem to be VERY comfortable in the Judge's chair and you've also got a pocketful of stones there and no compunction about casting them right and left at Obama, though... How do you explain that? Whoever taught you not to judge or cast stones apparently did a pretty suck job of it.

"As president of the United States, I'm also somebody who deeply believes that ... part of the bedrock strength of this country is that it embraces people of many faiths and of no faith."

I certainly agree with him on that.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
NO Christian is in favor of any form of abortion... If you to support abortion then truly you can not be a Christian it is as simple as that... I don't know what Obama is, but it is obvious he doesn't practice the faith that he claims.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

is that right thats your opinion and you know what they say about opinions

"As president of the United States, I'm also somebody who deeply believes that ... part of the bedrock strength of this country is that it embraces people of many faiths and of no faith."

and thats the biggest load of crap i have ever read simply because the the only faith he embraces is the lefts faith/belief

because that what faith is a belief is the only one allowed in america there has not been one time that he has embraced any belief of the right.

you want to be the defender of lord obama thats your priviledge but there are others like myself who are not buying what he is shoveling.

edit on 28-9-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
because that what faith is a belief is the only one allowed in america there has not been one time that he has embraced any belief of the right.

I didn't realize that God was a Republican.

you want to be the defender of lord obama

I did not defend him at all. You were preaching about not judging and not throwing stones all the while judging and throwing stones. I made an observation about your blatant hypocrisy. Oh, wait... Is it a good thing to judge and throw stones as long as your target resides on the "left"? These religious values just have me SO confused!

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

reply to post by Rustami

i was raised in the church i was also taught to turn the other cheek and i was taught judge not lest ye be judged and i was also taught let he who is without sin cast the first stone........

Warning: Telling-it-like-it-is content follows.

Yes, that's the description of what a Christian should be like. But how many human beings, let alone Christians, have you ever seen turn the other cheek? Ever? Could Christians be any more judgemental? And how many stones are thrown in their honor, if not by them themselves? They use religion and scripture like weapons to bash the heads of those they disagree with. That, my friends, is not what Jesus would do. Christians these days are almost totally un-Christ-like thanks to the fact that they let their ministers and priests and pastors tell them what scripture means, rather than interpreting it for themselves. They can read "Love everyone as you love yourself" and it just zips right over their heads. They can read "Don't eat shrimp, don't shave your face, don't let backtalking children live, men shouldn't lie with other men, divorced women are whores who can never marry again, don't worship false idols," etc etc, and then totally ignore whichever laws they don't want to obey while vigorously trying to enforce the rest of them on everyone around them. Any Christian who actually believed in all of the laws in Leviticus would have to believe that every woman who gets a divorce (and everyone with any physical deformity, I kid you not, it's in there) is an abomination in God's eyes with no chance of salvation.

When's the last time you heard of a Christian Task Force aimed at stamping out the satanic scourge of divorce?

The thing that Christians don't realize, the thing they're never ever taught by seminary graduates, is that the blood of Christ makes all those laws moot. The only thing you have to do for salvation, no matter how big a sinner you are, no matter what the nature of your sins, is give yourself to him, ask forgiveness, and try to follow his teachings ("Love Everyone") from then on. That's it! No crusading against godless homos, no bombing abortion clinics, no opposing the teaching of evolution, no enforcing beliefs on others. Every time they do something like that, they make non-Christians hate Christ. Why can't they see that? Their primary mission is to be kind and loving to everyone, to be an example of what the power of Christ can do for you, to help the needy and turn sinners from the errors of their ways, not to make everyone hate them!

So until they come to their senses, I don't even call myself "Christian;" the present-day connotations of that word simply don't fit me. I'm a Yeshuan. (Yeshua was Jesus' actual name.) I am his, I follow his commandment, there's no doubt in my mind that I am saved... and just as little doubt that Obama isn't. This isn't judgemental, it's "being observant." In brief, I agree with you, but being brief is why the world is in this mess in the first place. Nobody takes the time to figure anything out for themselves, they let the likes of Rupert Murdoch and Jimmy Swaggart do their thinking for them. I shudder to think how sad Christians are making Christ. It sickens me. I wish I could cure them, but all I can do is try to rub their noses in it, so to speak, with little blog posts that none of them will read. Sigh.

I guess that's just the way it's supposed to be...

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Target Earth
NO Christian is in favor of any form of abortion... If you to support abortion then truly you can not be a Christian it is as simple as that... I don't know what Obama is, but it is obvious he doesn't practice the faith that he claims.

I wasn't aware Jesus had said that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join