It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Fahrenheit' turns on box office heat /Breaks another record !! ( update)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Michael Moore's anti-Bush film breaks the single-day records at the two New York theaters.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Director Michael Moore's controversial documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" turned on the box office heat in its first day in theaters breaking single-day records at the two New York City theaters where it played.

The movie, which aims a critical eye at President Bush and his prosecution of the war in Iraq, sold $49,000 worth of tickets at the Loew's Village 7 theater, beating the venue's single-day record of $43,435 held by 1997's "Men in Black," according to distributors Lions Gate Films and IFC Films.

At the Lincoln Plaza theater, "Fahrenheit 9/11" took in more than $30,000 to top the $24,013 set by "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" in 2000.

money.cnn.com... .htm?cnn=yes

Online ticket service Fandango.com reported Wednesday that "Fahrenheit 9/11" was making up 48 percent of advance ticket sales for the weekend ahead, compared to 11 percent for "Dodgeball" and 9 percent for next week's "Spider-Man 2."

Wouldn't it be funny if this movie topped the all time list, or at least got into the top 10, you know right up there with Titanic, Star Wars, E.T., etc.

I can't wait to see this one myself.

[edit on 27-6-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Even though I belive that Moore is an idiot, I'll see the film.

My dad is the Marketing Director at our city's theater, and he decided to show the film there. Of course it won't be here until September,. He told me it last night and I was looking at him like "Why the ^^&*& are you playing that?". So he told me why he decided to play it.

"Last year when we played his Columbine movie, that brought in alot of money for the Kirby. But besides the ecomonmical reasons, I decided to let it air since Moore is an ass, and I want everyone in the city to go there and see how much of an ass he is". I nearly chocked on my soda.

I am mainly seeing it becuase I like to observe things, and I want to see what he has done in the documentry.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I'm very interested in seeing it, though I don't like Moore or his tactics. His message is tainted by his infamy, I think. I won't dish out the theater price so will wait for video, but definitely want to see it. Can't complain about it if I don't see it!

I saw an item where Bradbury wanted him to change the name of the movie. Said his people had called Moore's people months ago to complain and got no response, they just went ahead with their plan to call the movie by this title. Bradbury said in the article that he didn't want to go to court, but to settle this like gentlemen. I'll be interested to see how Moore handles it.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   
unfortunately I think that is such a krock, most people - not all - that are going to see it are probably thinking "I'm such a bad boy for going to see this controversial movie" and are seeing it for just that reason - hats off to the guy, he's going to make a mint

just my opinion.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   
And Bradbury has every right to be pissed off at Moore, he should come up with his own titles instead of changing ones of literary classics.

Sure he'll make money, thats all he's really intrested in. Cashing in off of the hatred of Bsuh.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:14 AM
link   
yeah, change the title, how about something like :

Bushenheit 9-11

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
So, I keep hearing that Moore lies, maybe somebody would like to enlighten the board on what he's lying about? Be specific please. It'd be nice to know what to look out for to see how it compares to the truth he exposes...

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I'm not big on Moore myself, the way he goes about things.
But I will be seeing it next week. I'm sure it wil be interesting; the movie trailer doesn't give too much away, not more than I already know about anyway.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Say what you want about the man but he's a great film maker and whether I believe his propaganda or not I've always enjoyed it.

He's in the entertainment business and he entertains well, job done.

That's the odd thing, people argue so much about the politics of his films they don't actually say if they thought it was well made regardless of whether they think it's fact or fiction.
I'll be there to see it.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:35 AM
link   
As asked here are some of Moore's lies and idocies, curtosey of Source. And also lets remember how Moore gets Iraqi abuse footage before anyone else does.

From 'Stupid White Men"

"200,000 Americans are dying of Mad Cow Disease and no one knows it; Bush secretly stole the election by having Florida bar convicted felons (which Moore maintains were great Gore supporters) from voting; Nader did the Demos a big favor by running in 2000; Enron is a great investment."

From "Dude, Where's My Country?"

There is no terrorist threat," (p. 95) and Richard Nixon was the last liberal President, (p. 193). (Even more amusingly, in chapter 8 Moore pledges to contribute the limit to whichever Democrat has the best chance of winning (p. 162) and then in chapter 11 tells the reader that the Democrats are "professional losers," that "Democratic Party leaders have told me something they will not admit in public -- that they have basically written off 2004; that they see little chance of defeating George W. Bush" (p. 204) and that they might as well run Oprah Winfrey. (p. 206).)

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
Say what you want about the man but he's a great film maker and whether I believe his propaganda or not I've always enjoyed it.

He's an excellent film maker. If he weren't he wouldn't be where he is now. It's not all about the 'controversial' message he presents; If his talent in film making were lacking he wouldn't be getting the attention he is. It's a combination of both.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Have to echo what John said. It's not often that you find a documentary that you teenage son will watch, he loved "Columbine." If you get past Moore's agenda, which counteract the propaganda coming from the White House, you can see both side and, in the middle, that's where the truth lies.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Michael Moore = Leni Riefenstahl any questions ?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster
Bush secretly stole the election by having Florida bar convicted felons (which Moore maintains were great Gore supporters) from voting;

Are you saying that's not true? LINKY Sure it's not a secret, I guess that part isn't true. Jeb did hire a company to purge Florida's voters records of felons, and they made a bit of a mistake. Anyone one with the same last name as a felon, could not vote. So, if your name was Smith, and you did nothing wrong, you could not vote because another felon was purged, named Smith. And convicted felons are predomiinately black, and blacks traditionally vote democrat. I didn't mean to siedtrack the thread, it just looks like you are saying that's not true. I'm a voter from florida, so this issue is close to my heart.

All these Moore debunking sites play pretty loose with the facts. They cite idealogical differences and try to disguise them as 'facts'. And when they run out of 'facts', they call him fat.

To get back and topic, agree or don't agree, it gets people talking. How many people now know about the Saudi conncetion now, who didn't before? And the movie isn't even out yet!

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I wouldn't go so far as to say he lies, though I think most people pushing any agenda will do so to an extent. But truth can be manipulated and edited to fit any point of view. That's why I don't necessarily "trust" any interview on tv unless it's live. It can be cut to fit any agenda or propaganda machine.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I hope this movie causes massive chaos for Bush and his criminal band. I find it hilarious people still support this administration...

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Well good or bad it looks like you will see all the TV ads for this movie pulled soon. I personally think this is insane but I am not surprised either.

Michael Moore may be prevented from advertising his controversial new movie, �Fahrenheit 9/11,� on television or radio after July 30 if the Federal Election Commission (FEC) today accepts the legal advice of its general counsel.

Link to story
www.thehill.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Interesting. I think he should just change his ads to fit the regulations and keep on truckin. I think this is rediculous. Doesn't really matter, though. He'll make a buttload of cash before the deadline!

But I almost wish now that there was an anti-Kerry or anti-Nader film out to see if it would get the same hassle.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by torque
But I almost wish now that there was an anti-Kerry or anti-Nader film out to see if it would get the same hassle.

There sort of is. Hunting of the President is about Clinton (and the media), but that isn't what you meant.

Thought I'd throw that out there. BTW, has anyone seen it, or is it even out yet.

I should check that out.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Michael Moore may be prevented from advertising his controversial new movie, �Fahrenheit 9/11,� on television or radio after July 30 if the Federal Election Commission (FEC) today accepts the legal advice of its general counsel.

Link to story
www.thehill.com...

Now that just makes me think of one thing.

Howard Stern is right. The Bush Adm. is after him and using the FCC to get him off of the air.

This movie is about... Bush and 9/11, thus going to possibly expose some truths... so let's censor the advertisement of the movie...

Stern, talks about Bush, exposing truths, talking against him being president... so let's sensor Stern.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join