It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Democratic voter apathy 'inexcusable'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – Admonishing his own party, President Barack Obama says it would be "inexcusable" and "irresponsible" for unenthusiastic Democratic voters to sit out the midterm elections, warning that the consequences could be a squandered agenda for years.

"People need to shake off this lethargy. People need to buck up," Obama told Rolling Stone in an interview to be published Friday. The president told Democrats that making change happen is hard and "if people now want to take their ball and go home, that tells me folks weren't serious in the first place."

The midterm elections
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Instead of listening to the voters concern, Obama decides it's best to berate them. What's so intriguing about his disappointment is that it's the Democrat voter he's berating.

The article states that he's fired up because his supporter fail to see the progress he sees. In his campaign promises, he told the American people that his administration would hit the ground running. He did keep his promise on this. He ran from party to party while watching a faltering economy go down the drain and the American public witnessed this.

Obama needs to admit that it's to late to save his face and admit that he didn't have a clue on how to deal with the economics of America but I do have confindence in him when it comes to making more of a mess and making himself look more of an idiot than he already looks.

His campaign motto should've been "We'll do the easy things because these things require no effort."

news.yahoo.com

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I agree with Obama. The modern public doesn't want to vote, or think for themselves, or be aware. They want MTV, and twinkies, and X-Factor.

Obama's not perfect by a long stretch - but he's right.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The Idiots in office need to remember... THEY WORK FOR THE PEOPLE.!! Not themselves...

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
I agree with Obama. The modern public doesn't want to vote, or think for themselves, or be aware. They want MTV, and twinkies, and X-Factor.

Parallex.

he's right but not for the right reason. people do need to stop being apathetic, but basically what he's saying is the dems need to keep trust in him even though he doesn't deserve it.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Parallex.

Completely, 150,000% agree with you...We have the worst voter turnout in the western world...Nobody cares about the issues anymore. President Obama is correct here...like you said he is far from perfect but he is right.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Obama should look in the mirror one morning and ask himself who's responsible for this apathy. I know he may not like it, and I'm gonna be labeled a racist for saying this, but its his fault. If he doesn't ike how his party is, change needs to start with him......didn't he run on change?

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Obama should look in the mirror one morning and ask himself who's responsible for this apathy. I know he may not like it, and I'm gonna be labeled a racist for saying this, but its his fault. If he doesn't ike how his party is, change needs to start with him......didn't he run on change?

Star.

I've worked with people that didn't vote saying, "What's the government ever done for me?" Nothing can make me angrier than to hear someone say this. This nation has become an "All bout me" nation and it sickens me.

Another friend of mine needed some fence-mending on his ranch and when I approached the person above about some help, he response was, "How much does it pay?"

This same person was terminated from a job several years ago because he tried to do a little as possible to get by. Upon termination, he became quite furious and began cussing up a storm about why was he fired. Instead of looking at himself and finding faults about his work ethics, he decided it was easier to find fault in everyone else.

I try to keep away from "It's all about me" people. They're just full of negative vibes and all the time complaining about something.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by FBI 33

Parallex.

Completely, 150,000% agree with you...We have the worst voter turnout in the western world...Nobody cares about the issues anymore. President Obama is correct here...like you said he is far from perfect but he is right.
I am going to take issue with this.

I believe TOO MANY people vote.

My ex-mother-in-law heard the name of one of the presidential candidates mentioned in conversation approximately one month after a U.S. Presidential election. She looked at her sister and said " Who are they are talking about?" , her sister said, "I don't know." They both voted in the election that had occurred one month previous to this, and they had NO IDEA who at least ONE of the TWO candidates were! They were in their early to mid fifties and neither had any mental disabilities. They were just UNINFORMED. We don't need people like that voting, IMO.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
The non-voters aren't the apathetic ones. Non-participation in politics is the proper response to an irredeemably corrupt political system.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

He's just trying to get votes from people whose hopes have been dashed to the ground by him.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – Admonishing his own party, President Barack Obama says it would be "inexcusable" and "irresponsible" for unenthusiastic Democratic voters to sit out the midterm elections, warning that the consequences could be a squandered agenda for years.

"People need to shake off this lethargy. People need to buck up," Obama told Rolling Stone in an interview to be published Friday. The president told Democrats that making change happen is hard and "if people now want to take their ball and go home, that tells me folks weren't serious in the first place."

The midterm elections

To use an old phrase " The Buck stops here..." It does. Obama doesn't understand that since he's taken everybody else's bucks, he is left without a buck. No one's bucking up for the president. However, the hornets next of voter energy is full steam ahead for the opposition party this time around. We're all fired up, ready to go. Yes we can ! Yes we can ! Yes we can ! Vote for the opposition party, or simply refuse to pull the lever for the big D. Sorry mr. president. (No I'm not).

edit on 28-9-2010 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I wouldn't be nearly so apathetic if I didn't see a continuation of the neocon policies of the previous administration.

"I don't pay taxes to buy lies"........Val

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
No, Obama is WRONG.

As another member mentioned, the ignorant should NOT vote.

That is why we are where we are.

The reasoning he is pushing for everyone to get out there is because ignorant voters vote for the pretty buttons.

Oh look, pretty, pretty buttons. One is marked D and the other R, I think I will push the pretty...............

I think we should disallow any mention of party affiliation on ballots and see what happens.

That would be the BEST quick solution I could come up with. But then you have incumbent name recognition.

Oh look, the pretty, pretty name button.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Exactly, we trade one Neo Con for a Progressive and what do you get? The same except this one is on steroids.

Obama=Bush on steroids.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

Not sure that I agree with you here. IMO, not voting is un-american, it gives all of the power to those who do vote and it corrupts the true meaning of democracy.

Obama is right in what he said, change will not come easy and now is not the time to give up the fight.

Progressives have to get over the fact that we have not gotten everything that we had hoped for, accomplished in two years. But then, who would have thought that the new majority for the senate would be 60 votes and that without those 60 votes, absolutely nothing would get accomplished.

Then, even though we thought we had the 60 votes in reality we did not, because had we failed to recognize the wolves in sheep's clothing, namely Blanch Lincoln and Ben Nelson. In a sense, it's our own fault for not recognizing these two republicrats and removing them from office in the last election.

If you think we have gridlock now, just let the republicans take over congress and you will see what getting nothing done really looks like. It's going to take a concerted effort to keep the republicans from taking America back some 200 years and now is not the time to stay home on election day.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Voter apathy HA! He'll see it's quite the opposite in November. Democrat voters and Independents alike are lining up against Obama's administration and his liberal democrat congress and are about to pull the teeth out of this administration and take back our country. I think he's trying to obfuscate the betrayal that voters feel over the lack of any material change except for the whole healthcare debacle, the magnitude of which is just beginning to be understood, with "apathy." The numbers will tell the truth in November. Just because you're being abandoned by those that voted for you, Mr. President, doesn't mean that the voters are apathetic. It means that we've had quite enough of you, and that we will likely see the following after November:
1. Repeal of obamacare
2. Unsealing of your records
3. Your subsequent impeachment
4. A return to common sense

I just hope that we don't swing so far right that it becomes equally distasteful.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by belowcommonknowledge

I just hope that we don't swing so far right that it becomes equally distasteful.

Distasteful? Is Facism distasteful? This is what we are looking at. A continuation of the PNAC, neocon, corporate serfdom, theocratic hell, that will eventually make the Obama administration seem like the "good old days"
Just like we small businessmen see the Clinton years as "the good old days"

God help us...

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

You have fun with that.

Someday maybe you'll realize that our democracy has become a totally rigged system securing for those with money and influence the blessings of having coercive power used on their behalf.

The system really is ingenious. We alternate between Republicans and Democrats. When the Republicans are in power, they expand the military and foreign surveillance apparatus. When the Democrats are in power, they expand the domestic control and surveillance apparatus and the youth indoctrination apparatus. Each one has its "loyal opposition" which does nothing. The expansions made by the previous party are never, ever reversed. The new party just makes its own expansion. The rubes don't care because they've been indoctrinated to like the expansions made by the party they've thrown their chips with. Gotta root for the home team. If they don't get the repeals of the stuff they opposed before, no big loss; it's a new day and we gotta root for the state encroachments that our own team wants to make.

As for me, I refuse to debase myself by waiting for two hours in their lines to make a decision between two people neither of whom care a whit about anybody but themselves, their egos, their prestige, their legacy, their place in the history books.

Democracy is a sham. It is nothing but rule by demagogues. The more democratic this nation has become, the more power the demagogues have had. We need less democracy, not more. The founding principle of the USA was liberty, not democracy (democracy was merely the means to manage what few powers the government was supposed to have), but our current fetish for democracy is more than convenient for TPTB because democracy is so easy to manipulate, especially with the technological infrastructure of mass media.

I choose not to participate. I am an American, and I proudly stay home on Election Day.

edit on 28-9-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by belowcommonknowledge

Star to you.

It's a real shame when the American people elects supposedly educated people to represent them and they carry on like a bunch a squabbling imbeciles.

I'm beginning to think that an educated person lacks the intelligence needed to communicte with the common person. All the mumbo-jumbo they teach in class about how to related to one another isn't taken seriously.

What is a shame is that a person has to be wealthy to run for office because of the expense in campaign costs but when they're elected, they will gladly accept a paycheck that's funded by the taxpayer. I'm not saying that Congress shouldn't be compesated for their efforts(if there's such a thing), but why all the support staff?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join