It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Exactly IS "Space Law"??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
In all the recent threads and articles concerning "disclosure" and the UN, I have seen this term "Space Law" several times.

What the heck is "Space Law", really?

I looked it up on Wiki, and it has a very small page with not a lot of information... looks to be a vague form of law that is essentially up for open interpretation by anyone (i.e. jump on the bandwagon)

While this field of the law is still in its infancy, it is in an era of rapid change and development. Arguably the resources of space are infinite, and limited only by our ability to use them in a manner that is fair and equitable to all nations and which is environmentally ethical. If commercial space transportation becomes widely available, with substantially lower launch costs, then all countries will be able to directly reap the benefits of space resources.

In that situation, it seems likely that consensus will be much easier to achieve with respect to commercial development and human settlement of outer space. High costs are not the only factor preventing the economic exploitation of space: it is argued that space should be considered as a pristine environment worthy of protection and conservation, and that the legal regime for space should further protect it from being used as a resource for Earth's needs.

Debate is also focused on whether space should continue to be legally defined as part of the “common heritage of man,” and therefore unavailable for national claims, or whether its legal definition should be changed to allow private property in space.

Michael Dodge, of Long Beach, Mississippi, is the first law school graduate to receive a space law certificate in the United States.Dodge graduated from the National Center for Remote Sensing, Air and Space Law at the University of Mississippi School of Law in 2008.

The University of Sunderland is the first UK University to offer a space law module as part of its LLB programme.

en.wikipedia.org...

Who decides?

Who gets what?

Do we really have to decide this, can't we just let it be for all humanity? Do we really need "Space Law??

I mean, now are all nations going to argue over which domain belongs to who? Or as with the oceans, is it all going to belong to the UN, and then ultimately wind up subject to taxation?

This is an interesting point to ponder. I just wonder if anyone else has been struck by the term "Space Law" and its oddity as much as I am, or if I am the only weirdo...

The wolves will be out soon, I am sure, if they aren't already.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Interesting:
The National Center for Remote Sensing, Air and Space Law is:

a research facility that is part of the University of Mississippi School of Law. The Center was created to serve the public good and the remote sensing and space industry. It conducts education and outreach activities focused on the legal aspects of applying remote sensing, air, and space technologies to human activities.

en.wikipedia.org...

Remote Sensing?

Remote sensing is the small- or large-scale acquisition of information of an object or phenomenon, by the use of either recording or real-time sensing device(s) that are wireless, or not in physical or intimate contact with the object

en.wikipedia.org...

For a moment there I thought they were talking about Remote Viewing.

It is interesting but heartening to see that we are acting proactively towards potential space travel and exploration.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

It is a very fascinating and interesting topic...
It seems that it is as confusing to most to figure out what to do.

It also seems, at this time, cautiously optimistic that their hearts are in the right place.

However, I worry, only because greed always seems to enter in, and then all altruism and humanity is gone.

Let's hope for the best.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
If your in the area and you have the means to be amongst a group distinguished guests then i suggest a good read through

link

Apologize for the short reply, but my link is self explanatory.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I think it is important to establish rules for exploring our solar system. I mean, no country should be able to claim the Moon for itself. Using that same principle, the same could be said about the planets and other moons. Or even asteroids. There are a lot of resources out there and it is best to establish some ground rules NOW, then later.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Thank you for the invitation.
This is very interesting... will have to peruse this further..

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
One thing that poses a very interesting out-there principle.

I discussed this with a friend of mine today as we were sitting in the rain watching soccer.

If one owns a property, and all rights, to include the mineral rights to the property, how deep does that extend to, theoretically, into the earth? Does that mean that one owns that acreage, not only to the rod points, but also the volume to the earth's core? As the earth is a sphere, it would eventually become a point below the property, but I am curious about this.

And if so, does that mean, theoretically, that one should be allowed to own the sky to outer space above said property as well? I understand that as of now that is not the case, however, I am just posing the question.

It bears thought. I am curious though about the depth issue.

edit on 28-9-2010 by thegoodearth because: clarification

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

Yes in the USA at least when you purchase property you own to the center of the earth, excluding mineral rights unless you acquire them as well. Everyone should do this as there is a giant sphere of gold at the inner core that will someday be accessible with a laser and a pump or some other method of retrieval.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by meteoritics

That is truly an interesting article.

I wonder how many people actually think about this kind of thing like I do.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Almost no one thinks about ownership of the core, due to its inaccessibility. The vast amount of precious metal at the core will no doubt be utilized in the future if humanity continues to advance, and doesn’t die out.

If a person attained mineral rights to even just 1 property, you would have a goldmine. Just need a really deep hole, or a Star Trek transporter! Scotty, beam me up my gold!

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 05:58 AM
link   

It seems we humans can never be free. Not even in space.
Sure as fate, if somehow we get to the stars and other planets, find a little niche, to settle down and set up home.
Someone will come along and say, hey, you can't put that there.
Space and all it's attributes will be carved up by all the usual suspects.
The NWO will become the NSO!

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Space Law. I have heard a bit about this and in theory it is a good idea. In orbit it will work and on the moon it will work but the farther out in space yhougo the less it will work. It will work well at first as only goverments will be able to go to space but as time goes by and more people make it to space it will break down. It will be the wild west all over again. Who has the most fire power in a give area will be the ruler of that area. It will be Space Billy the Kid and Space BlackBeard. Space Law will work great in and around areas of control but out side those areas it will be a free for all.

But that is beside the point. At the rate things are going we will never see that day.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by meteoritics

I know I started this thread about space law, and I don't want to go off topic myself, however, really, if one has gas/mineral rights to the land one owns, then one can use the natural gas on the land for their own use to heat and cool their homes, along with tranferring all the appliances they can over to gas (many in the area I live have done this after installing a well on their land). It involves a dance with the local utility, which can get nasty, but it can be done, usually for around $10,000-$15,000 which is small change when one considers how much money is saved in the long run.

Mining deep core gold is an entirely different enterprise. It certainly provokes thought. Thanks for the contributions.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

It certainly does make one think... how does one measure that which isn't seen? Boundaries and such. It would be very interesting to see how that would be regulated by any kind of legal process.

I also agree that it would begin in a spirit of good and descend into a free-for-all of greed and "land" grabbing... the richest and most powerful would be in charge, unfortunately. History repeating itself in space.

top topics

join