It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the Ancient Egyptians Build the Great Pyramids with Hot Air Balloons?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Hi ATS,

It's a question that has perplexed and befuddled the greatest minds in Egyptology and beyond for centuries - how the ancient Egyptians managed to raise millions of 2.5 ton limestone blocks and many 70 ton granite blocks to construct their pyramids. Suffice to say that there have been many proposals - some straightforward such as the 'ramp theory' and others a bit more bizarre such as UFOs and sonic levitation devices and suchlike.

Of course, accepting that the ancient Egyptians of the Old Kingdom period did indeed build these magnificent structures, then they could only have done so - in my opinion - through a means that was at their disposal. Such a means that was at their disposal (if they had only realised it) was the application of hot air in some form of 'envelope' or balloon. In short - might the ancient Egyptians have used (tethered) hot air balloons to lift the heavy pyramid blocks?

Fanciful? Perhaps – but before we dismiss the idea out of hand, let us consider some potential evidence that could lend support to this possibility.

First of all the Montgolfier balloon - the first ever manned flight - was made of linen and paper; two materials that were easily available to the ancient Egyptians, as were ropes and sails.

The average weight of a limestone block in the Great Pyramid is often quoted as being around 2.5 tons. A hot air balloon (at sea level) with a diameter of around 125 feet can lift 6.39 tons, less the weight of the materials. A linen balloon of 125 foot diameter would weigh somewhere between 750 and 1,000 lbs. Lifting at night or in the winter months when it is much cooler would ensure better lift than during the day when the ambient temperature would only be slightly less cooler than the air in the balloon.

Thus we can see that the AEs certainly had the means and the materials to build hot air balloons and we can calculate that such a balloon of around 125 foot diameter, including the weight of the balloon itself and ropes etc, could feasibly lift two average GP limestone blocks.

But did the AEs in fact discover such a lifting technique? There are some tantalising clues hinting that they just might have done so.

Is this really a mirror being depicted in AE art? Why then does a 'mirror' have wings? Why does a 'mirror' carry two people in a barque? Is it plausible that we are actually being presented with something else here other than a 'mirror'?

And then there is this (in)famous image from the Temple of Hathor at Dendera:

In some interpretations of this relief, the goddess sitting on the stone block to the far right of the image (upper left) is the AE Goddess, Amaunet - the Goddess of Air. This goddess is also depicted as a snake (or serpent) which we also see within the centre of the various 'balloons'(?).

Notice how the balloon shape in the upper left image lies on its side and is similar to a hot air balloon being laid out and filled with hot air. Notice also how the other images from Dendera depict the balloon shapes in a vertical alignment (again with the snakes of the air goddess Amaunet depicted within the balloon shape) as though the balloons are now flying. What is also interesting about this particular relief is that the text alongside it makes mention of the "sky carriers".

Are we perhaps witnessing in these images a linen balloon being filled with hot air for the lifting of heavy stone blocks? Or does the conventional explanation (theory) of this image that it is Horus being born inside a lotus bulb make more sense?

One of the other benefits of utilising hot air ballons is that they could be made relatively quickly (compared to a massive ramp) and could be scaled up to meet the demands of the project schedule. For instance, the GP is quoted as being around 754 feet on each side. This seems ample room for at least two 125ft diameter balloons per side to operate. This could mean sixteen 2.5 ton blocks being raised and positioned at once, and even allowing time for reloading etc., this seems far faster than any ramp theory. Furthermore, by clustering a number of balloons together, even the most heaviest of blocks within the Great Pyramid could be raised by this means

Some food for thought.

Best wishes,

Scott Creighton

edit on 27/9/2010 by Scott Creighton because: Typo.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Not Bad Mr Scott.......would explain some of the theories of the distance they quarries the materials from....... From quarry to pyramid, is there a jet stream in that vicinity that would have aided such work.

I like you theory, its as plausable as anything else ive heard... well done S&F mate

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Scott Creighton

Somehow it doesn’t seem really feasible.
I much prefer the inner ramp theory.
However it’s a good shot at interpreting the Dendera image!
Better than the light bulb idea!

Has the Dendera image not been explained before?

I’m sure I saw an attempt at moving blocks by balloon some years ago.
It didn’t really work.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Hmmmmmm interesting.

I am not sure if the pyramids were built with hot air, but I am pretty sure this thread was!

Bada boom

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Knowing how many tons those stones weigh, can you name any balloons today that could lift those? There are very few powered aircraft in the world that could lift those massive stones, let alone balloons. Especially the balloon technology of thousands of years ago.

And if balloons were the case, how come we only started flying around in balloons in the late 1700's if balloons existed thousands of years ago? Doesn't make much sense, does it?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by midicon
I much prefer the inner ramp theory.

Not very feasible either. Remember, if the pyramid was built in 20 years, it would have taken 9 seconds for each stone to have been made/cut, transported to the pyramid, then set. 9 seconds. Not without outside help could that have been possible.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I have a feeling I'm going to regret asking, but I could be wrong!

Outside help?

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
Knowing how many tons those stones weigh, can you name any balloons today that could lift those? There are very few powered aircraft in the world that could lift those massive stones, let alone balloons. Especially the balloon technology of thousands of years ago.

And if balloons were the case, how come we only started flying around in balloons in the late 1700's if balloons existed thousands of years ago? Doesn't make much sense, does it?

SC: As stated in the OP, the average Great Pyramid limestone block is quoted at being around 2.5 tons. A single hot air balloon of 125 feet diameter has been calculated to lift around 6.39 tons (less the weight of the balloon and ropes weighing at around 1,000 lbs). This means that one 125 foot diameter balloon could feasibly lift two 2.5 ton pyramid blocks. You can see how the lifting calculation is made from this site here: www.overflite.com....

Hot air balloons may simply have been rediscovered by our civilisation. Periods of decline in any civilisation often brings with it a 'dark age' where important knowledge can be lost. Ancient Egypt had three such periods starting with the collapse of the Old Kingdom and then the long First Intermediate Period of upheaval which Egyptologists tell us lasted around 200 years. Long enough for skills and knowledge to become lost or forgotten.

Kind regards,

Scott Creighton

edit on 28/9/2010 by Scott Creighton because: Typo.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

I really like the idea Scott!!

Did you consider the balloons being sealed and black?? With the amount of sun they have....

Solar balloon

Peace

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 05:25 AM
link   

edit on 28-9-2010 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

What's wrong with the inner ramp theory?

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Each cubic foot of hot air in a balloon can lift approx 7 grams so to lift 2.5 tons you need a balloon thats 323 994 cubic feet or about 20 times the size of Big Ben
To lift 70 tons you would need a balloon of 9 million cubic feet

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:10 AM
link   
sorry scott,

can't get behind that.

besides the time it would take, doesn't feel right at all.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

davespanners,

If I use my calculator, I get a completely different result....

Starfield solar balloons

Ambient temp differential ISA cel : 0
Altitude Ft. : 10
Basic in and out delta temp cel : 40
Balloon weight kg : 400
Envelope volume m3 : 27000

Altitude envelope only lift /kg : 2719

27000 m3, that's like 30x30x30 meters. That isn't that big, is it???

I mean, I know it's big but it's nothing compared to those pyramids they build.

I am probably making all kinds of mathematical mistakes.

Peace

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I'm personally partial to the theory that they build them by casting most of the stones. Hot air balloon seems bit far off in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

" Hot air balloons may simply have been rediscovered by our civilisation. Periods of decline in any civilisation often brings with it a 'dark age' where important knowledge can be lost. Ancient Egypt had three such periods starting with the collapse of the Old Kingdom and then the long First Intermediate Period of upheaval which Egyptologists tell us lasted around 200 years. Long enough for skills and knowledge to become lost or forgotten."

If said knowledge was lost then how is it that the reliefs at Dendera were carved so much later?

I repeat, is the inner ramp theory not the most logical?

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

A normal hot air balloon that can carry no more then 2 people is 54000 cubic feet.

I can't vouch for my calculations though as I suck at maths

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I like the idea. S&F.
I think we need to verify the math though before jumping to conclusions.

This BTW remind me of the researchers lifting Obelisk with a kite experiment.
It looks cumbersome in comparison to the idea of the hot air balloon.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
According to thissite you need 65000 cubic feet to lift 1000pounds so that 130,000 for one short ton and 325 000 for 2.5 tons which pretty much agrees with my first post.

If we had a perfectly spherical balloon then it would have a circumference of about 268 feet. Not to outrageous I guess.

edit on 28-9-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

davespanners,

You mean something like the Condor I??

The result was an odd contraption called Condor I, with an 88-ft.-high envelope made from fabric that closely resembles materials recovered from Nazca gravesites. The balloon's lines and fastenings were made from native fibers; the boat-shaped gondola was woven from totora reeds picked by Indians from Peru's 2.4-mile-high Lake Titicaca.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/0c019f221321621e.jpg[/atsimg]

This was only 88ft. tall, don't know about the amount of hot air inside but it is speculated that they used these to view the famous Nazca lines. Who knows, maybe they flew over to Egypt and explained how it works...( or vice versa..
)

Do you think Peruvian plains and Egyptian plains both make for excellent balloon flying??

Peace

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join