It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy choppers take dip in Lake Tahoe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Navy choppers take dip in Lake Tahoe

www.heraldnet.com

Military officials say an investigation is under way after two U.S. Navy helicopters dipped temporarily into the waters of Lake Tahoe, before righting themselves and landing at a nearby airport.

San Diego-based Naval Air Forces media officer Lt. Aaron Kakiel confirmed that a YouTube video filmed by tourists represents authentic footage of the Sept. 13. incident, the Nevada Appeal reports.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
thedailyconservative.net

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Very interesting footage of these two Navy helicopters taking a dip. You really only see one go in, but its amazing that it comes back out again at all.

I don't think the Navy's MH-60 Romeo is designed to do this manuever. The pilots will probably have a lot of 'splainin' to do. They probably won't get to fly again anytime soon, either.

www.heraldnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Thank you very much OP. I saw this video and had so many questions.

How the F*ck can those choppers do that? I swear I saw that thing go up to the blades!! why did they do it?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Wow that is amazing! I had no idea we had choppers capable of dipping like that!

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The "official story" is the pilots were not authorized to be there over the lake much less plunge the helicopters into the water like that. Apparently the high altitude of Lake Tahoe and the thin air over the lake caused the choppers to unexpectedly lose lift and momentarily settle into the water. The pilots were supposedly trying to take some action photos of each other and got carried away. I can't see how the chopper in the video was able to pull up out of the position it appears to be in. Maybe the rotor wash was kicking up a lot of spray and the chopper wasn't as deep as it looks.

This story was already covered under Aircraft Projects, btw. Didn't see the thread at first so I didn't include it in the opener.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Navy choppers or giant dragonflies?
I'm pretty sure it was just taking a drink of water.

Awesome footage!
sf

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
So is the video real?

edit on 27-9-2010 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

I hope not, but that helicopter obviously wasn't a dragonfly either.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Please add to existing thread : Here

top topics

join