It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If only all Christians were this open-minded...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78

A perception is limited - limited to ONE perception. An open-mind can access many different perceptions, a rational mind can evaluate them seriously, and a reasonable mind can act upon and engage with the logically best choice.

How fast can you compute against instinct, you are at the other end.
Instinct just is, a blink of an eye and you react to danger.
Problem with computing is it's flexibility, it sticks to what it has learned, it does not adapt well to new enviorment.
You are about to crash in a car accindent, you do not analise the situation you just pull it, pull the stearing weal in an istance. No time to evaluate the situation, one flash of inspiration without any computing at all.
Computing is not bad, learning is fasinating but if you base your whole self on this then you are going to crash.
Something tells you it's wrong and you pull the stearing weal, you go with what you feel. It's the very definition making you alive. How fast can you compute, evaluate in 1 second to evaluate your chances of survival before you crash in a car accident ?

That is why computers are ran by operators. They are not safe.

So long for planing ehh, 1 second.

edit on 28-9-2010 by pepsi78 because: (no reason given)

If you only give yourself one second to react in this situation, you're an idiot worthy of becoming a statistic. You may, or may not be able to understand this, but there are those of us than don't suffer from this animalistic 'instinct' driven existence. We see beyond the 'curve' so to speak, and anticipate eventualities. Sun Tzu had words on this issue - he said something along the lines of "the greatest victory in war is achieved by never having to fight a battle in the first place. Winning without fighting is the greatest victory one can achieve." Apply this to your life practices, and you become untouchable.

This is very tangental however. May I ask - are you dyslexic? (No insult intended, I'm just curious.)

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed

Originally posted by Blaine91555
Why are you fearful of peaceful, honest people who wish you no harm? Remember, just because a person claims Christianity does not mean they are a Christian. Being a Christian requires you respect even those who don't agree with you. Live and let live is a good world view. You might consider it if you can lay your hate aside. I say hate after having read some of your posts throughout other threads.

I guess the only need for personal comments is when you u2u name calling etc to people you disagree with. Since this is about all religions, and not just Christianity, perhaps you could explain why it matters since you want all religions wiped out.....I think the poster had a relevant question......it ties in perfectly with your OP.....

In Blaine's post, it was stated that peaceful (yeah right) honest (LOL) people like yourselves wish me no harm. I don't believe that one iota. I think if you could get your hands on a gun, and shoot me down you would - because your religious ego has been bruised by me - I challenge your right to proselytise, your right to indoctrinate, your right to poison people's mind with undue doubt. You don't like this, so I risk your wrath anyway in the name of freedom.

I don't believe Blaine wants to hurt me - I've read enough to know that Blaine is most likely a good person. Others on here however, I'm not so sure. Being an atheist is possibly one of the most fearful, and scary positions a person can assume in society. I'm constantly worried that by expressing my opinion, some religious person is going to try and hurt me. A rational fear? You bet your ass it is.

Is this a libertarian way of life? Non-religious people being in fear of religious people? No it isn't. Why do you think I rail against religious ingress on ATS? And the disgusting tolerance of religious extremism on ATS? Because I'm SCARED of people like you lot. Because I don't want to live in a prison of fear anymore. The forum gang that has descended on this thread is not only against the T's & C's of the site, but is also evidence of the evil pack mentality that overcomes religious people when an atheist shows up and tries to be allowed to express themselves. Mods take note!

I'm sad for, and afraid of Christians. They scare me more than most - as I've seen what Christians do when people question their religion. I'm more Christian than most Christians - but would I want that label? No - I don't like people I love being scared of me.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex

Why are you fearful of peaceful, honest people who wish you no harm? Remember, just because a person claims Christianity does not mean they are a Christian. Being a Christian requires you respect even those who don't agree with you. Live and let live is a good world view. You might consider it if you can lay your hate aside. I say hate after having read some of your posts throughout other threads.

I guess the only need for personal comments is when you u2u name calling etc to people you disagree with. Since this is about all religions, and not just Christianity, perhaps you could explain why it matters since you want all religions wiped out.....I think the poster had a relevant question......it ties in perfectly with your OP.....

In Blaine's post, it was stated that peaceful (yeah right) honest (LOL) people like yourselves wish me no harm. I don't believe that one iota. I think if you could get your hands on a gun, and shoot me down you would - because your religious ego has been bruised by me - I challenge your right to proselytise, your right to indoctrinate, your right to poison people's mind with undue doubt. You don't like this, so I risk your wrath anyway in the name of freedom.

I don't believe Blaine wants to hurt me - I've read enough to know that Blaine is most likely a good person. Others on here however, I'm not so sure. Being an atheist is possibly one of the most fearful, and scary positions a person can assume in society. I'm constantly worried that by expressing my opinion, some religious person is going to try and hurt me. A rational fear? You bet your ass it is.

Is this a libertarian way of life? Non-religious people being in fear of religious people? No it isn't. Why do you think I rail against religious ingress on ATS? And the disgusting tolerance of religious extremism on ATS? Because I'm SCARED of people like you lot. Because I don't want to live in a prison of fear anymore. The forum gang that has descended on this thread is not only against the T's & C's of the site, but is also evidence of the evil pack mentality that overcomes religious people when an atheist shows up and tries to be allowed to express themselves. Mods take note!

I'm sad for, and afraid of Christians. They scare me more than most - as I've seen what Christians do when people question their religion. I'm more Christian than most Christians - but would I want that label? No - I don't like people I love being scared of me.

Parallex.
Couple of things there......First, before you worry about anyone else violating t&c on here you might wanna rethink your drink, or shall I post the u2u you sent me, name calling and swearing at someone you don't know sounds like you're not scared at all. Second, as a Witch I am most decidely not Christian, and yet I don't have a fear of them......that's completely irrational. Thirdly, calling people out for disagreeing with you when you clearly do this smacks of hipocrasy big time. The question asked still wasn't answered and yet ties directly into the OP, please answer the question without playing the victim.

edit on 28-9-2010 by adifferentbreed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   

If you only give yourself one second to react in this situation, you're an idiot worthy of becoming a statistic.

You forgot the element of surprise, things do happen, you have to be happy
or distracted by an event before you notice it's too late. 1 second, no time to compute, you use the other side and do it without making sense of it.
It's your reaction, very fast amplifing your emotion 1 one second, doing it like a uneducated beast you pull the stearing weal and say thank god I avoided a car crash. Something will pinch you for your sake from above to
notice you avoided a crash.

What have you not leaned dear friend, you can't drink the whole universe, so if something under this universe that you do not know pops up you can't deal with it. It's what happens, the very definition of "I'm full of my self."

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I myself am a born again Christian. I have to admit that Christians are probably the most close minded people I have ever met that usually only regurgitate what they hear from the pulpit. That being said most in the church are well meaning and sincere in what they believe. I have no problem discussing the bible with anyone who is open to discussion. I think that we are responsible personally for what we say and how we make others feel about themselves. Jesus only became angry with the self-righteous religious establishment of His day. I do not believe homosexuality is wrong and Jesus was probably gay. I know there are references to homosexuality being wrong but most of what we believe we only believe because of what we are told by the church without any real study of our own. Jesus came to restore our relationship with God, and we are free from the curse of the law through Him. Unfortunately I think that if Jesus walked among us today the church wouldn't recognize Him. The Bible says "Judge not that you you be not judged" Matt 7:1.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Parallex.

Geez, talk about delusions of persecution. Either that or your just a troll like Djin.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DrChuck

You really don't understand do you?

You, and the other aggressive Christians on here frighten me. Why do you think Atheism has started fighting back? Because people like YOU are dangerous.

The rallying call issued by certain leading Atheists a little while back was necessary to stop the world sliding back into the middle ages, and the religious violence, intellectual coma, and general bigotry that religious supremacy propounds.

You've proven my OP correct - Jospeh Priestley was a good man, a fine Christian philosophy practitioner, and one of a dying breed. There are a few left, but most good Christians are now gone. All that are left are pale imitations and shills - powermongering bigots.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Just a Polite Request

Hi People,

I do appreciate that such topics can push our buttons - but please can we (myself included) be conscious not to deliberately *press* other peoples buttons?

Which means keeping a bit of a lid on the sarcasm, the vieled side-jabs and so forth.
Such approachs bare no fruit for anyone.

Thanks guys.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by pepsi78

I don't know what you're really trying to say - I understand your point about surprises to an extent. We can't plan for everything after all, but still....

You're off on a tangent again my tangental friend

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DrChuck

I'd agree more with your troll analogy.......he comes of as persecuted and fearfull, when he is in fact the opposite. He also wants all religions destroyed, per his own posts on other threads..................this is just a star and flag fest. He won't answer the question of why? I'm gonna go with a troll, with a persecution complex too. I'm still waiting on him to answer one basic question in relation to his OP, I bet it's not forth coming.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   

reply to post by DrChuck

You really don't understand do you?

You, and the other aggressive Christians on here frighten me. Why do you think Atheism has started fighting back? Because people like YOU are dangerous.

The rallying call issued by certain leading Atheists a little while back was necessary to stop the world sliding back into the middle ages, and the religious violence, intellectual coma, and general bigotry that religious supremacy propounds.

You've proven my OP correct - Jospeh Priestley was a good man, a fine Christian philosophy practitioner, and one of a dying breed. There are a few left, but most good Christians are now gone. All that are left are pale imitations and shills - powermongering bigots.

Parallex.

I'm a dangerous, aggressive Christian that frightens you...really? I really don't want to get sarcastic, but, either your pretty well acquainted with me or its just another of your many presumptions.

I think your just firing away at anyone who proclaims themselves a Christian, no different from a bigot who assumes every black man is predisposed to criminality. Unless you are personally acquainted with everyone who considers themselves Christians, you have absolutely no substance to postulate that MOST good Christians are gone and a few are left. Again, merely another post full of insignificant speculation.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by adifferentbreed

I wouldn't bet on a decent answer either. Its a shames really, such a great subject to debate upon. Wasted, just wasted.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DrChuck

I'm a dangerous, aggressive Christian that frightens you...really? I really don't want to get sarcastic, but, either your pretty well acquainted with me or its just another of your many presumptions.

If you would like Parallex to feel a little easier around you how about answering this question.

If your god told you to kill Parallex would you -

A ) Do it without a second thought ?

B) Try to confirm that it was in fact your god talking to you and no someone elses ?

C ) Dismiss the idea immediately as repugnant and seek medical advice ?

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Djin
reply to post by DrChuck

If you would like Parallex to feel a little easier around you how about answering this question.

If your god told you to kill Parallex would you -

A ) Do it without a second thought ?

B) Try to confirm that it was in fact your god talking to you and no someone elses ?

C ) Dismiss the idea immediately as repugnant and seek medical advice ?

I am unconcerned about Parallexs' emotions around me, since he/she will likely never share a close proximity with me. And your sophomoric ploy to entrap me with this inane question amuses me to no end. Really? Come on. You can insult my religion and character, but please, its unfitting to insult my intelligence.

But I do enjoy games, so I'll play. I would take measures of both B and C.

I'm a man that questions the validity of everything, even the very essence of myself including beliefs, morals, and values. And as I've stated before, its not Christianity that matters to me, its the truth. And if my enquiry into truth reveals my beliefs are wrong then so be it, it will be time for change.

edit on 28-9-2010 by DrChuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrChuck
I'm a man that questions the validity of everything, even the very essence of myself including beliefs, morals, and values. And as I've stated before, its not Christianity that matters to me, its the truth. And if my enquiry into truth reveals my beliefs are wrong then so be it, it will be time for change.

Then why be so combative?

If this is how you feel, why attack me for my beliefs? It doesn't make any sense. If you are as open-minded as Priestley, then why are you being so silly to me and Djin for being atheists?

Can you tell me when the last time you actually PROPERLY questioned your faith using empirically based rational enquiry? If you want any help - let us know, we can point you towards some excellent sources.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

I don't understand what you are getting at. Your example is an archaic Jewish law. There is no interpretation needed unless you are somehow trying to imply that it has any importance beyond what it is.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Then why be so combative?

If this is how you feel, why attack me for my beliefs? It doesn't make any sense. If you are as open-minded as Priestley, then why are you being so silly to me and Djin for being atheists?

Can you tell me when the last time you actually PROPERLY questioned your faith using empirically based rational enquiry? If you want any help - let us know, we can point you towards some excellent sources.

Parallex.

WHERE am I being combative? I have NEVER attacked you or Djin for choosing to be atheists. Give me ONE instance in ANY of my posts where I have persecuted you for your beliefs. I'm not being silly to you and Djin for being atheists, its because...well there isn't any way to say it nicely, so I'll just let you speculate on it as you did yet again.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Parallex.

My search for truth is an ongoing process, as a med student my time is obviously limited. But my spare time is wisely used, I'm betting my eternal soul that this is the truth so to me its imperative that my beliefs are correct.

As of now my beliefs may be wrong or they may right, I cannot tell you with 100% scientific or mathematical confidence that it is, which is why I am constantly expanding my knowledge foundation in all religions and all other possibilities including atheism. I have studied the great atheist advocate Christopher Hitchens, and admire him, but I am yet to be convinced.

I don't have a problem with you choosing atheism, you have the problem with me choosing Christianity. The persecution is stemming from your end not mine.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   

WHERE am I being combative? I have NEVER attacked you or Djin for choosing to be atheists. Give me ONE instance in ANY of my posts where I have persecuted you for your beliefs. I'm not being silly to you and Djin for being atheists, its because...well there isn't any way to say it nicely, so I'll just let you speculate on it as you did yet again.

Obviously you think we're 'buttheads' for lack of a better word that is censor friendly.

But you have made it clear that you will dismiss, deride, or disregard our beliefs and comments because you simply dislike us, or our lack of theist belief.

You are being combative by distinctly avoiding discussing the initial quote and claims thereafter - especially the one about the right wing power grab using anti-muslim rhetoric and Christian religious propaganda. Discuss / debate that, and you're on your road to rational enquiry of your religion. Throw me a bone.

Parallex.

edit on 28-9-2010 by Parallex because: spelling

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join