Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Winners & Losers Since President Obama Took Office

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Since President Obama was sworn in as the 44th President of the United States, all the major US indices are trading in positive territory, led to the upside by the NASDAQ 100, up 63.2%.

Among the S&P 500 sectors, consumer discreationary companies have posted the largest gains, up nearly 59%.

What follows is a summary of the markets since President Obama took office.

Follow link for CNBC article

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

How are those figures measured? I mean what does the Dow Jones Industrial average mean?

Are they the values of the stock? Are these values based on the US dollar? Are they adjusted for inflation?

I have 1.2 trillion items, if I do not tell you what the items are, they could be anything.

Here is an awesome explanation of what is actually important right now-
Understanding The National Debt (Sesame Street Edition)

In order to distort prices, you must distort markets. Sure, that Commodore 64 you bought in ’82 would still be worth 600 bucks if we had outlawed improving computer design and Commodore would still be alive and well today. Thankfully, no one concerned themselves with protecting the value of the C-64 and Commodore declared bankruptcy in 1994. That’s how markets work and that’s why capitalism works.

Distorting prices and markets is an absolute fool’s game, so we find ourselves with a never-ending procession of Ivy League #tards, who fancy themselves masters of the Universe, lining up to take a whack at it. Yes, you can keep house prices up, if you can keep interest rates low, but in order to keep interest rates low, you must rig the credit market. To rig the credit market without destroying stock prices, you must create money out of thin air to buy debt, which devalues your currency, so you have to hide it as much as you can. So now you’re rigging the Forex and precious metals markets to cover your tracks…..

Life is just GETTING interesting right now. Maybe we should have a GANDER at exactly what else is in that financial reform bill. Hmmmm?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Well yes, stock markets can be manipulated and influenced by all manner of things - inflation, reserve bank rates, exchange rates, etc. But investors take all those things into account and the market has been a good measure of the economy for the last century or so. Certainly it was the favorite measure during the last administration when they often cited the record highs in 2006-2007. If you read the full article you will see the gains made in tangible areas like manufacturing orders and GDP (up a huge 133%).

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Yes historically speaking things were able to be measured accurately.

Can you tell me why inflation has not started even though massive amounts of currency was created?

With what has been done, the inflation rate should have gone up, but it has not.

Does that mean that the actual values that have been manipulated by the currency, are so far out of their true values, that currency manipulation is no longer having the effect that the Fed wanted to create?

Ol Benny boy has announced another move to come, do not know when the plan is to go in effect, but one thing is for certain, the central banks have quit selling gold.

What does that mean? Do you think that the move the fed is going to do is going to make the bonds and treasuries to dive in value?

I have been trying to keep track of what is going on, and the move that the fed is talking of doing may save the markets, but it will cause unemployment to go up. My opinion and a lot of others opinions.

Nothing is rosy, when you have blatant manipulations of precious metals, stock market, currency markets and other factors, we are not even close to being out of this.

Unsustainable comes to mind in more ways then one.

new topics

top topics

join

atslive.com

hi-def

low-def