It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare UFO Images, Videos & Documents.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I had been trying to find particular data on UFOs on the www for some years with little success.

A friend suggested I try a p2p (peer to peer) network, and after looking into it and installing a p2p application, I turned up what I was looking for on the first search.

So I thought since others on ATS might be in the same predicament, I should post this here in the hope that it will be of use in tracking down those hard to get files.

Many of you will be familiar with p2p networks so you need not read any further. For those less acquainted, please read on and keep this thread alive.

To download and share files in a p2p network you will first have to install a software application on your pc.

No need to pay for one, there is plenty of open source or freeware applications available.

After installing the software you simply connect to the Internet, launch the application, and using the provided search option, begin searching and downloading from a whole other database separate to the www.

This database is contained on all the pc�s of all people currently connected to the Internet and running that same p2p software.

Hundreds of millions of files are available.

Any files that you wish to share with others on the network, may be simply placed in a �shared� folder on your hard drive. (this folder is set up when you install the application)

There are many p2p applications available. Some should be avoided as they install spyware on your pc.

If your not sure which p2p application to look for, here are two that I�ve been trying out for a little while.

They both work very well and as far as I have been able to ascertain, they contain no spyware.

..........................................................................................................................
GNUCLEUS

Gnucleus may be one of the best available, it is PURE P2P and does not work through servers � just everybody�s pc networked together.

It is a simple and relatively easy application to use.

DOWNLOAD GNUCLEUS: sourceforge.net...

GNUCLEUS home Page www.gnucleus.com...

.........................................................................................................................

eMule

eMule is not pure p2p as it connects to servers through which searches and other necessary data handling are conducted.

It is more sophisticated than gnucleus and is therefore more complicated to use. It also has more features.

I am not particularly enthralled that this uses servers, but it nonetheless works very well.

DOWNLOAD eMule: sourceforge.net...

eMule home Page: www.emule-project.net...

..........................................................................................................................

Of course there is nothing to prevent one running both applications at the same time, or surfing the www while files are downloading.

Note that these programs, while running, will use up some bandwidth, so your access to the www will be slower.

Both applications contain IRC (internet relay chat) functions where you can chat to other people on the p2p networks and ask for help.

Unless you are pretty competent in familiarising yourself with new applications, I would suggest you start with gnucleus.

You can find out more on the home pages (above), you will also find links to forums where you can seek further help.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 06:27 AM
link   
You do know that P2P is basically illegal?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 06:31 AM
link   
It may be illegal to download and share copywrited material, but did I suggest anyone do so?

Actually RX84 I spent some time compiling the above post just to help others and I think its pretty rude of you to spam it with something COMPLETELY ERRONEOUS.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by thepresidentsbrain]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Peer to Peer isn't illegal, where did you get the impression that it was?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
thepresidentsbrain: As there are hundreds of movie clips and photos all over the WWW of UFO's, which ones in particular were you struggling to find? I'm intrigued. I have downloaded a large number of video clips from various websites and would love to know which ones you consider rare

And just to reinforce the other posters: P2P is NOT illegal! It's what files you download or share that may be.

Cheers,
Grey Pilgrim

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Peer to Peer isn't illegal, where did you get the impression that it was?

Because the recording industry ( RIAA) has recently filed tons of lawsuits and the newspapers have stated that the people being sued where using p2p software. This has led many people to beleive P2P to be illegal however it is not , how you use it is what can make it illegal.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I just us MSN messenger to send and recieve files, songs, movies, jpg's what ever, and I used to us ICQ but because it is owned by an isralie company I dumped it

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
I just us MSN messenger to send and recieve files, songs, movies, jpg's what ever, and I used to us ICQ but because it is owned by an isralie company I dumped it|/b]

so what?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This thread is not about UFo's at all, but about software... Or it is severely off topic. It is closed untill further notice, or untill the presidentsbrain contacts me about were to move it, or what to do with it.

new topics

top topics

join