It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Community Grid - Science Research via Grid computing...EVERYBODY can contribute!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Hey everybody,

long time ago i joined World community grid www.worldcommunitygrid.org... and i find it one of the best ways how to push science forward. u really have to do nothing, only download BOINC client from their web, create an acount and set which projects u want to support (AIDS cure research, cancer, clean water via nanotubes etc ect). it uses your idle CPU time to process work units (fragments of work from the main project) u get from the main server. i think many people spend hours everyday at their computersy...reading emails, reading stuff, watching movies etc etc etc, this way all those people can contribute to science and progress without really having to do anything differently, only installing a simple client that runs in the background. U can even set how much processor power it is allowed to use, thus u dont have to fear slowing down your computer...personally i am allowing BOINC use 100% of my processor free time and i barely register any slowing down.

link: www.worldcommunitygrid.org...

Also, if u wish, u could join my team ''Manticoran Alliance'' (look it up via ''Find Team'' feature)

edit on 27-9-2010 by White Haven because: grammar

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Good thread S and F

I have discovered the whole BOINC distributed computing thingy a while ago, and have sice then participated in many @Home projects, World Community Grid along with the famous Seti@Home is just one of the many available, albeit most versatile
Some of them, like MilkyWay@Home (mapping our galaxy) can even utilize your GPU, to greatly accelerate the computation.

Useful links:
en.wikipedia.org...
boinc.berkeley.edu...
www.boinc-wiki.info...
en.wikipedia.org...

With my new Core i7 + Radeon HD 5870 beast, the number crunching speed reached whole new levels. I urge everyone who would like to contribute to scientfic research to download and run one of these. I am running Rosetta@Home (protein structure prediction), MilkyWay@Home and the afforementioned WCG.

Very cool project, indeed

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

oh yeah, i totally forgot about all those others...personally i run WCG only as it has several research projects going on at once which i more than enough for my two laptops and and old computer (i am totally drooling thinking about your beast...i7 + Radeon i mean!!
). but anyway, thank your very much for bringing other projects here as well...there are tons of similar projects (i remember now folding@home for example, think it was using nvidia GPUs too) all across the internet, all people have to do is look.

join