It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attacks in five Iraqi cities, 67 dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I fail to see how the proposed 'Hand-over' can possibly
go ahead on schedule.

www.abc.net.au...

"Insurgents in Iraq have killed at least 60 people, including three United States soldiers, in a series of coordinated assaults and suicide bombings in the north of the country.
The violence in Baquba, Fallujah, Ramadi, Mosul and Baghdad intensified a bloody campaign by Iraqi insurgents and foreign militants to sabotage the formal handover from US-led occupation to an interim government in six days time.
In Mosul, 390 kilometres north of Baghdad, multiple car bombings of police buildings killed at least 40 people and wounded 60, police said."

Sanc'.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 05:31 AM
link   
sanctum,

I have moved this to WoT so that you can start this discussion since Zion Mainframe had already broke this story on ATSNN.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Sanctum,

I'm wondering what you think about AFTER the 30th. Do you think that this escalated systemic attack in the last days before the hand-over is an attempt to make the coalition's plan fail and then will subside if, in fact, the hand-over takes place? Or do you think these radicals are hell-bent on also actually destroying the Iraqi people's chance to govern themselves and that it will continue even after the hand-over is completed?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 06:05 AM
link   
This is not good.
Though, not unexpected. The hand-over date has been known for a while.
So there was time for planning these attacks.

The attackers have made their statement.
"No Democracy in Iraq"
I'm sure there were a few non-Iraqis involved in making this statement. Ya think?

As far as the actual hand-over is concerned. I think it's more symbolic than anything. Germany was not re-built in a day, nor was Japan.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Sanctum, I'm wondering what you think about AFTER the 30th. Do you think that this escalated systemic attack in the last days before the hand-over is an attempt to make the coalition's plan fail and then will subside if, in fact, the hand-over takes place? Or do you think these radicals are hell-bent on also actually destroying the Iraqi people's chance to govern themselves and that it will continue even after the hand-over is completed?

Valhall, I lean toward your second question.
I sadly believe that the insurgency will escalate after the 'Hand-over' for one of many reasons.
The main one being if an Iraqi democracy fails, it will be seen as a statement to the West from
Muslim Extremists that NO Muslim country or society will be dictated to by a non-muslim
country...read Coalition. Extremists will see Iraq in chaos as an ongoing way to 'tax' the U.S.
budget and therefore the economy which is exactly what they want.

Oh, and they get to rub the coalitions nose in the debarcle that is Iraq, for years to come.
Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I agree with you sanctum. I think you have hit it on the head. I have been working on a new Flight to 911 installment that will bear out your words. Your feelings on this are foundational issues that are revealed when one does a root cause analysis. We may be Satan - but democracy is the root of all evil in these militant groups' eyes. There will be no democracy in Iraq - that's a Valhallian prediction.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 07:04 AM
link   
He's back!!!

With 100% of the vote!
as soon as Mr. Bush hands him over.

Maybe July 1?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
"The most recent violence across Iraq has claimed 70 lives. The attacks come less than a week before the handover to the interim Iraqi government and underscore the desperate struggle Washington is engaged in to win the peace in the country it invaded last year. Joining us now from New York is the former professor of strategy at America's National War College Harlan Ullman. He's now a prominent political columist and author."

Transcript,
www.abc.net.au...
Audio link,
www.abc.net.au...
Sanc'.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Covered here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Feel free to add your thoughts to the existing discussion.

Thread closed.

top topics

join