It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stuxnet worm hits Iran nuclear plant staff computers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Actually, it's quite easy to lock down a network from infection. Most of the issues surounding infection are caused by either infected websites (normally through ad agrigators or scareware popups etc) or through the instalation of infected code on the network pigybacking on a program installation.

Most firewalls (even home routers) have the ability to black list all of the web except the white list sites. Problem solved from the internet.

Instalation of programs can be locked down to the endpoint level. You don't even need additional software to do this, it's part and parcel of networking.

Though there are some really cool programes out there that give the IT manager a console that allows them to oversee the entire network graphicly and administer the network from a single PC.

thats true.. but c'mon...

if a nation spent millions using its top secret ultra best hackers.. im pretty sure they can get around off the shelf software.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

if a nation spent millions using its top secret ultra best hackers.. im pretty sure they can get around off the shelf software.

Well there is the issue of wireless networking.... Even WPA2 is crackable. I have come across some software that was specifically targeting the flash memory of a router, a snooper that basically sent handshakes for analysis so the key could be cracked.

No networked system is 100% secure, even with a DMZ in place! But with simple to implement techniques you can make your network very hardy against any would be attacker.

This particular worm does appear to have spread specifically around the Iranian IP ranges and may be a global attack on Iran as opposed to just the nuclear facility.

Time will tell I guess,

Korg.

edit on 29-9-2010 by Korg Trinity because: The Blue Funk Chronicles

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   

I'm currently studying for my CCNA as I'm a IT/Telecoms engineer for a large, well known, telecommunications firm.

With things like seperating networks into VLAN's, access control lists, DMZ's, PIX/ASA firewalls and other methods like UNIX/linux IP Chain's/Tables, anti-virus software, IDS's, etc etc combined with a rock solid network security policy and correctly educated users it's definitely possible to create a very secure network.

Although, every network can be hacked one way or another, there's the old saying that the only safe computer is one turned off, unplugged, not connected to anything and locked behind a steel door with TEMPEST lining!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

I'm currently studying for my CCNA as I'm a IT/Telecoms engineer for a large, well known, telecommunications firm.

Ahhh that explains a lot. Good luck with the CCNA, out of all the credencials CISCO are the ones that add value when looking for work especially with any international that employs an MPLS network

I have been in voice/data coms since the early 90's worked for a few businesses mostly 2nd tier carriers, did work for cable and wireless for a while under the guise of buldog broadband before they were bought out by pipex.

With things like seperating networks into VLAN's, access control lists, DMZ's, PIX/ASA firewalls and other methods like UNIX/linux IP Chain's/Tables, anti-virus software, IDS's, etc etc combined with a rock solid network security policy and correctly educated users it's definitely possible to create a very secure network.

I couldn't have said it better myself

The truth is it really isn't that complicated to set up and it doesn't have to cost the earth, I think the issues are

1. Lack of education in the market space
2. Dodgy sales guys trying to sell functionality that already exists in a network
3. An attitude of it won't happen to me
4. A big one this.... I've got back-ups why do I need to be secure!!!

That last one was a company I just got off the phone with... Man wake up damn it

Although, every network can be hacked one way or another, there's the old saying that the only safe computer is one turned off, unplugged, not connected to anything and locked behind a steel door with TEMPEST lining!

Well I was reading the other day how when a quantum computer is created it will work even switched off... I'll see if I can find an online version of the article and u2u it you... It was mega interesting

Korg.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Thanks for the well wishes mate and yeah definitely send the article accross, it sounds interesting and should make for good reading

I think your right about with the various issues you listed being the problem, slightly shocking that nuclear facilities, government systems etc aren't secured the way they should when as you say it really isn't that difficult or expensive especially when done by professionals

IT/Telecoms is the way to go, I love being interested in my job, just wish work politics would sort themselves out.

Anyway cheers!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
www.breitbart.com... so the virus acording to this article has spread to china now and is mucking things up a bit for them

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I always wondered why no one ever made a worm that caused physical harm.
Most computers have CD burners now, couldn't a worm be made that uses them to burn a hole threw our computers? Or maybe one that overheats computers so bad they catch fire or explode?

How far away is Skynet?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
i just wanted to share my opinion on this

i heard about this and thought: who in the right mind would hear of this and not think it was an attempt to seriously hamper down the abilities of Iran to run nuclear plants. we all know america, isreal and alot of other countries do not awant iran to have nuclear programs - this is obviously one of them trying to interupt them as much as they can. this is not something that some dude with a computer somewhere developed, it was created by a TEAM of people who knew what they were doing! it's big!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This was also being discussed here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by BomSquad

That's right, your other thread is a distraction from this thread that was started before your thread.

I will ask the mods to close it.

Thanks,

Korg.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:40 AM
link   

No offense, but you might want to check the dates again...the other thread was started 6 days before this one...

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by BomSquad

No offense, but you might want to check the dates again...the other thread was started 6 days before this one...

Non taken and it's my error.

Appologies.

Korg

MODS: Where bhave you gone?? Please close this thread down and divert to Was Stuxnet built to attack Iran's nuclear program?.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join