It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: More than 100 People Killed as Insurgents Launch Attacks Across Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Update: More than 100 people have been killed and "several hundred" wounded.

Insurgents in Iraq have launched a series of co-ordinated attacks on security forces in five towns and cities: Baquba, Falluja, Ramadi, Mosul and Baghdad. Many of the attacks were at or near police stations. The worst attacks were in the northern city of Mosul, where at least 40 people died and 60 were hurt in a series of car bombings, Iraqi police said.
The violence comes just days before the official handover of power to the new Iraqi government.

CNN

The violence in Mosul -- which includes three car bombings, a rocket attack, a raid on a security company and clashes between coalition forces and insurgents -- has virtually paralyzed the predominantly Kurdish city.

Iraqi police stations and training facilities were the worst hit in Mosul, with seven Iraqi policemen and one U.S. solider among those killed.

In a coordinated series of attacks across Iraq just six days before power is handed over to an interim government, insurgents also targeted police stations in Baqubah and Ramadi and battled American forces in Fallujah.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Related News Stories:
Channel 4 News

[edit on 24-6-2004 by Banshee]

[edit on 25-6-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

[edit on 6-26-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Hmm, pretty soon the terrorists will have killed/injured MORE Iraqi's than ther coalition at this rate....

Do you think that we'll hear about that?

Are there ANY places where we can see how many people the TERRORISTS have been killing/injuring?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originall posted by CazMedia
Hmm, pretty soon the terrorists will have killed/injured MORE Iraqi's than ther coalition at this rate....

Er, Caz.

Coalition Death toll
"Total: 950 "
Mon, May. 24, 2004 5,500 Iraqi civilians killed since war began

Now, the truth about the true extent of the casualties will not be told for a while. It must be so many.....

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:59 AM
link   
If these insurgents were smart, they'd cut it out. Continuing this will not make us leave, period. We've said a million times we want things to be stable there. If they had a brain cell between them, they'd lay low, shut the hell up and stop this nonsense. Let things get nice and tight. Let the handover take place and let coallition troops begin leaving, thinking we've taken care of business. Then KABLAMMO! I think that's what's gonna happen anyway if they ever really figure out how to play us.

This is the kind of bull**t that goes even further to remove all validity from their claims of taking hostages in revenge for what we've done to the Iraqi people. They're killing them much faster and more efficiently than we could.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:03 AM
link   
The predicted massive assaults around the time of the June 30th hand over came true. I was thinking they'd wait until after the handover to do this.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
We'll unfortunatly be hearing about more consolidated attacks like this for a few weeks as the terrorist's and insurgents try to make their mark during the transition to the interim government.

I can only hope that by commiting these atrocities they will overexpose themselves to the authorities trying to bring peace to Iraq.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Earthtone,
glad to see were still agreeing to disagree

from the link you provided
"The figure does not include most people killed in big terrorist bombings, Hassan said.

Morgue records do not document the circumstances surrounding the 4,279 deaths. The records list only the cause of a death, Hassan said."

This is the type of vaguness in #'s that lead to manipulation.

the circumstances of death are almost MORE important than the # at this point....thats what im trying to show....who's killing who will help give a clearer picture of the situation and possible causes/avenues to pursue to quell the violence.

without knowing if these people were killed by coalition or terrorist strikes, it will be difficult to determine who the bigger killer is...but at the rate things are going over there....it seems like the insurgents will be killing massive numbers of iraqi civilians....arab on arab violence so to speak...

I would like to see a decent aproximation of coalition only and terror only deaths...i realize there is no way to verify ANY of this body counting as there is no system or safe way to gather this info over there.

Needless to say, i await open street fighting/massacres between iraqi's/insurgants where our millitary will be forced to break things up. seems like thats the only place left to escalate twords other than just increasing the frequency of terror attacks.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
The predicted massive assaults around the time of the June 30th hand over came true. I was thinking they'd wait until after the handover to do this.

This, from the CNN link provided, is one of the things that puzzle me:

At a Baghdad checkpoint, a suicide bomber detonated himself in a southern section of Baghdad called Abu Dasheer. And in Fallujah, U.S. forces battled insurgents and military officials, reporters said. According to journalists, American forces faced fierce resistance as they tried to enter a eastern industrial section of the city around 8 a.m. (12 a.m. EDT).

The 1st Marine Expeditionary Force said its actions in Fallujah were "strictly defensive in nature." The United States has attacked militant "safe house" targets in Fallujah twice this week, killing about 38 people.

So, we're standing around, firing only when fired upon? What kind of sense does that make? Another part of the same lnk states that armed insurgents are freely walking the street of Mosul.

The weird thing is, I was half listening to TV while on the computer this morning, and a talking head said that these attacks are likely to keep up or increase, until June 30, when they are likely to subside.

If so, what the devil are they even fighting for right now?

Just thinking out loud...
:shk:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Not advocating it, just wondering...

What would it take for the U.S. or other coalition countries to have a team of suicide bombers? As far as I know, the Kamikazes in WWII weren't doing it for religion, but for country, is that right? So maybe it wouldn't have to be a theological thing, but is it even within the realm of possibility to think that a country could, in this day and age, cultivate a division of suicide bombers/combatants if not using religion as a basis for it?

We obviously have to come up with something new to wipe out these terrorists. Not saying suicide bombers would be the way to go, but it's gonna have to be something drastic.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Well isnt this great people!?!?!?!?
. This is the reason Bush should be impeached, arrested, and have out troops taken back home!!

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
Well isnt this great people!?!?!?!?
. This is the reason Bush should be impeached, arrested, and have out troops taken back home!!

Very well said, AD. They should just bring our troops home and let those "suckers" have it out between them, after all it never was OUR problem what was going on over there, until Bush got a wild-hair up his _utt and decided to force a war on a country that had done nothing to us.
It is interesting though how bush is following in the foot-steps of George bush SR, george walker, prescott bush, and samuel bush and most of the bush men mensioned were involved with helping A. Hitler.
We're all in deep_hit if Bush remains in office,..... Bush needs to go, and it needs to be done as soon as possible,.... Impeachment is the right way of getting rid of him for his war-crimes.

Q

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Ummm...OK. Terrorists kill 100 civillians...and we should impeach Bush for it. Hello?!

Back on topic...

I think we're going to see a lot of activity in the coming week. This is the run-up to the big enchilada. If the Jihadis can stop a legitimate government from being installed in Iraq, then they'll have a major victory. At this point, that's pretty much their only hope. It's showtime. Once the new government is established, their support will dwindle (as I'm sure all of the civillian deaths are doing presently) as they'll no longer have an occupation to fight against. Sure, we'll still be there, but a real government is on it's way, and that is what the people want. I'm sure the average Iraqi is getting pretty fed up with all of this--just a few short years ago, their standard of living was pretty good, and I'm sure the majority would like to see that return. Basically, the terrorists are fighting to stop an important milestone in civilized society taking hold again in Iraq.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised to see an attack (or attempt to) here in the US as well, to try and call attention to it. What with the holiday coming up, it's also open season over here as well. Keep your eyes peeled, America!

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Let me get this straight...

The fact that France and Germany LIED to the USA and the world by passing sanctions against Iraq, all the while making us look like fools as they and Saddam back-handedly sucked BILLIONS out of a UN program desinged to relieve suffering of people is not our problem.

The fact that radical, anti west, jihadists are trying to make another place into a safe haven for planning how to hijack multiple planes and cause as much damage as they can in the USA with them isnt our problem.

The fact that these fundamentalists have openly declaired GENOCIDE IS GOOD against Israel and the USA isnt our problem.

The fact that Iraq continued to violate terms of the Gulf War cease fire with the USA by violating the no fly zones isnt our problem.

The fact that for over 25yrs, those radcal islamic jihadists (from many countries including Iraq) have a demonstrated history of chanting "DEATH TO AMERICA" and commiting multiple terorist attacks against US interests such as hostage taking, blowing up embassies, baracks and civilian housing, the USS cole, the trade center bombings and of course 9-11 isnt our problem.

LETS GET OUR HANDS DIRTY NOW EH?

The fact that the USA provided WMD to Iraq, that were NEVER accounted for isnt our problem.

The fact that the UN passed a resolution basicly saying, we know you have WMD's are are not complying with inspections, but were not willing to do anything to back up those words isnt our problem.

The fact that Clintion knew the danger of al queda and barely lifted a finger after the USS cole was bombed isnt our problem.

The fact that were in Iraq now up to our necks and that Bush, Kerry, and Clinton (along with many other world leaders) say that if we left now it would be the WORST thing we could do isnt our problem.

This sounds like the typical selfish American, "Its not me, blame someone else" mentality that abdicates any responsibillity, and attempts to deflect it to someone else.

Hmm mabey the Japanese WERE right a few years ago when they said "American's are fat and lazy" Were too fat and lazy to actualy stand up to people that are making and carrying out terror attacks not only on us but upon others as well. But i forgot, this isnt our problem....

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
We would not be in this mess right now if Bush had not wanted to get even with Saddam and Bush & Co., weren't so greedy wanting oil that was not ours to begin with. If the U.N. thought that Iraq was a real threat they would have jumped on Bush's band-wagon, apparently they did not think this of Iraq and that's why the biggest share of the U.N. refused to help Bush on his war, they did not beleive Saddam was a threat and they did not beleive the papers ( mis-informed) that Bush administration brought to the table with them at the U.N.,.

As far as the Clinton Administration ,..... they informed , gave all the information they had on O BinLaden and his terrorist group to the Bush Administration when leaving office, it's not Clinton's fault that this Republican President didn't take advantage of the info and use it, instead of thinking he's better ( which is so far from the truth, it isn't even funny ), and he knows what he's going to do and how he's going to run the Gov't , that man (Bush) is so dxmn stupid, that he wouldn't know the truth if it slapped him in the face. I started out with a 2.0 average when I first started college, in a comm. college . Bush went to "what college and he averaged a 2.0 when he was done with college , good-GOD that doesn't say much for G W Bush

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I see the future of Iraq as doom and gloomy as a bad prediction day, democracy in that region is a just but a dream and the attacks in the cities in Iraq will just become an everyday thing until the clerics take the government turning Iraq into another muslins clerical ruled country.

Look at Afghanistan, where is the democracy in that country? Where is the so call freedom for women? No were to be found.

[Edited on 3-7-2004 by marg6043]

join