It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the purpose of Government to put people's minds at ease?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Would you live in a country that legalizes prostitution? No, and thank God that never happens in America.

Would you live in a country that legalizes crack coc aine? No way! How could you tolerate such a demented society? Thank God no one in America does crack coc aine.

Would you live in a country that legalizes murder? Absolutely not. Thank God murder rarely happens in America, because when it does, we FRY the SOB.

Would you live in a country that legalizes political corruption? Who would? Which is why we trust the most up-to-date technology that Diebold can offer.

Would you live in a country that legalizes terrorist acts? How could anyone? Which is why we have Government agencies which successfully stopped 9/11, Fort Hood, and the Underwear bomber.

Does government force people to be moral, or does it just make people think they live in a moral country?

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

OMG. This is exactly what I needed to hear for something I'm writing right now. I have a similar question about rules of law that assume people are rational when we know through psychology that people are not rational.

I think the rationality and moral question are the same.

Are laws built on assumptions about how humans should act/are hardwired because of a misunderstanding or should laws purposively be built on the misunderstanding if we have reason to believe that that individual actors will conform to the misunderstanding, while other more natural people are criminalized.

I know this is rambling, but I dont' wanna give my project away. But trust me there is a serious link here and I think you're on to something.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I think you might be on to something.

In a worst case scenario, what happens? Martial Law, me thinks. What is Martial Law used for? maintain public order and safety

Definition of MARTIAL LAW
1: the law applied in occupied territory by the military authority of the occupying power
2: the law administered by military forces that is invoked by a government in an emergency when the civilian law enforcement agencies are unable to maintain public order and safety.
www.merriam-webster.com...

some related subject matter for topic,
ET

edit on 26-9-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: add link

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Well this is indeed a very complicated topic. You are definitely close to the money when you talk about the illusion of looking moral. From an outside perspective (not being American), the degree to which you people actually believe you are the "good guys", some sort of saints or saviors of the Earth, leaders of the NWO, it's amazing. No, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but your Government is highly corrupt, and does cause a lot of problems in the world when you look at the facts. To be honest, America has only become of such interest to me because of the sheer amount of conspiracies which originate there. I wouldn't know much about your country if it wasn't for ATS actually.

The main purpose of the Government (at least the present US Government, and others) in my opinion is to create an authoritative entity which the people put all their faith in, and by doing so make themselves completely vulnerable at the same time. It enables a distraction from the people really pulling the strings. It allows the elite to place pawns and puppets in high positions and impose laws on the entire population as they see fit. The Government is the main line of defense in upholding the status quo, perpetuating this corrupt and out-dated system which benefits only the elite to a staggering degree and corporate interests come before the interests of the common man. Check out the thread in my sig also, I wrote it last night, it is related to this topic.

EDIT: And also, I think it's more the media (controlled by the same people who control the Government) that "crafts" the mind set of the population so as to think certain ways about things.

edit on 27/9/10 by CHA0S because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Lmfao... Government is people to incompetent to get hired in the private sector. .. The last thing they have in mind (tho debatable if they have minds) is putting peoples minds at ease or any regard for the people they supposedly work for... Their all useless, lying, corrupt, murderous bastards only concerned with themselves.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Would you live in a country that legalizes prostitution? No, and thank God that never happens in America.

I never understood why should prostitution be illegal. The government has no right to forbid sex between two consenting adults, and it is a big breach of personal liberty, IMHO. Prostitution is legal in my country, and it does not cause much trouble. I think that forcing these people into illegality would make things only worse.

Does government force people to be moral, or does it just make people think they live in a moral country?

Yes, the purpose of government is largely to make people believe that they are safe (not necessarily moral..), and that the government protects them and guarantees their rights.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Perhaps there's some kind of 'shortest path', between people feeling the need to be responsible, and allowing themselves to believe it's 'taken care of'. Politicians find this path, in the rhetoric that they use to get votes.

The people must really have some kind of need to shift this responsibility off themselves, or else they wouldn't so easily believe the transparent lies that they are fed every four years.

The level of cognitive dissonance that people are willing to engage in, when considering the experience of what the last guy four years ago told them (and what they actually got) versus what current politicians are saying, is amazing.

There must be some fundamental need there. I think you're on to something, OP.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Would you live in a country that legalizes prostitution?

Yes.

Would you live in a country that legalizes crack coc aine?

Only if I had to. However, I'm all for legalizing POT.

Would you live in a country that legalizes murder?

No, I'd try to leave.

Would you live in a country that legalizes political corruption?

Pretty much already do. Can't escape it. Every country lets the politicians get away with corruption.

Would you live in a country that legalizes terrorist acts?

No, I'd try to leave.

Does government force people to be moral,

Our gov't is supposed to be 'by the people' therefore it is the people forcing others to be moral.
In countries that have 'moral police' (Islamic for example) .. yes .. the gov't forces their version of morality.

or does it just make people think they live in a moral country?

Once elected, the politicians lie and make people think a whole lotta' things that aren't true.

edit on 9/27/2010 by FlyersFan because: fix quote

edit on 9/27/2010 by FlyersFan because: fix quote

new topics

top topics

join