It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Point an iPhone at the Sky, See Augmented Reality Info as Planes Fly By

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
gizmodo.com...

Point an iPhone at the Sky, See Augmented Reality Info as Planes Fly By Plane Finder AR adds a layer of augmented reality to its previous (and free) Plane Finder app, now charging $3 for the privilege of seeing the flight number, speed, destination and other such details of overhead planes.

newtstuff.blogspot.com...

The same developer is making a name for itself in transportation apps, with its Airline Finder acting as a guide to all the various airline planes in the world; Ship Finder showing real-time movements of our aquatic vessels; and the real-time Plane Finder and Plane Finder Free apps, which only has $5 and detailed aircraft information on each plane between them.

I wonder how much it will cost to see the manifest?

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I heard about this new technology recently and wonder what all of you think of it.

Couldn't this be dangerous or eventually an invasion of privacy? I guess anything can but I am wondering how we decide WHEN we have enough information.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Such information is already avaliable to anyone with a internet connection right now anyway. Its simply a mobile app at this point.

flightaware.com...

Im sure you could make an app for the droid that takes the known location of satelites + your GPS position (much like google sky) and show you what overhead looking down on you

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

That last part about satellites would be great.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Too late to worry about privacy if you have ID. There is a bunch of scare that is not needed .As far as the tech.stuff goes ,It seems that all is needed is a imagination .One would hope that we move faster towards the good parts and try avoiding the bad stuff ...peace edit to add ..We have enought when we need no more .

edit on 26-9-2010 by the2ofusr1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Certainly will help with finding UFOs...

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
There is also another AR app, called Wikitude, that is absolutely free. Anyway, pretty cool.

--airspoon

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Tell me, have they implemented the bat vision from the Batman movie yet?

edit to add, since they are able to create 3 dimensional mapping with sonar, how different would it be to use cell phones to create such information?

Link to the sonar 3D-www.personal.psu.edu...

edit on 26-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Such information is already avaliable to anyone with a internet connection right now anyway. Its simply a mobile app at this point.

The flight information is available, but making it mobile and using it while "targeting" a plane could be very useful for someone trying to track or shoot at a specific plane.

I don't think it is an invasion of privacy, because the passenger lists are not typically private anyway, but I do think it has potential for harm in the wrong hands. Then again, what doesn't?

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Watch next thing you know the MSM will come on saying how this app is going to be uesd by terrorist to target specific flights or some crazy ass #.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Already there!

simpleflybys.com...

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Not many replies, but the quality of the few more than compensates for the missing.

I guess I am behind the trending technology. Still, this was all pretty incredible to me.
Especially coming on a day I learned you can deposit checks into your bank account from anywhere by photographing both sides of the check... using another iPhone App.

new topics

top topics

join