It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it called Ground Zero!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   
WTC COMPLEX POST 9-11 disaster was namd 'GROUND ZERO"

What is the meaning of this term?

Websters: ground zero

noun
Definition of GROUND ZERO
1: the point directly above, below, or at which a nuclear explosion occurs
2: the center or origin of rapid, intense, or violent activity or change; broadly : center 2a
Websters Dictionary

ground zero  –noun
1. the point on the surface of the earth or water directly below, directly above, or at which an atomic or hydrogen bomb explodes.
2. Informal . the very beginning or most elementary level: Some of the students are starting from ground zero.

Origin:
1945–50 Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2010.

World English Dictionary
ground zero

— n
1. a point on the surface of land or water at or directly above or below the centre of a nuclear explosion
2. a scene of great devastation
3. ( sometimes capitals ) the name given to the devastated site of the collapsed World Trade Center towers in New York after September 11 2001

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009

My arguement and position is that those who demolished the towers on 9-11 knew it was done with underground thermonuclear devices.
Here is a link.
www.nuclear-demolition.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I'm not sure if I totally agree with the hypothesis and implications, but note worthy none the less

2: the center or origin of rapid, intense, or violent activity or change; broadly : center 2a
3: the very beginning : square one

Examples of GROUND ZERO
ground zero in the battle over immigration laws

First Known Use of GROUND ZERO

Related to GROUND ZERO
Synonyms: axis, base, capital, central, core, cynosure, epicenter, eye, focus, center, heart, hub, locus, mecca, navel, nerve center, nexus, nucleus, omphalos, seat
Merriam-Webster's "Ground Zero"

History and Laws can be re-written by adapting or changing the definitions of the words used to define history and the laws. A tactic of gray psychological operations (psyops), I suspect.

thanks for sharing,
ET

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by slugger9787

My arguement and position is that those who demolished the towers on 9-11 knew it was done with underground thermonuclear devices.

Then I lost the bet.
I had $100 on Nano-Termites.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I just think it is because ground zero is apocalyptic and catchy at the same time-- easy to remember with massively destructive connotations, as you can plainly see. It is short enough that it can be repreated ad nauseum yet go nearly unheard each time and visceral enough to connect it to reaction rather than reason. Such a phrase works like a gem for programming the masses.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
S & F'd.

Ground Zero:

*Ground is the last point of contact for the builings
*Zero is for the height in elevation of rubble left(almost)
*Zero is the tally of survivors due to the grounding of such structures
*Zero is the chance of ever finding out what really happened

If that day was made by terrorists, then surely it would have been a larger statement to fly 2 planes into pentagon, and 2 into the whitehouse..... but it didnt happen like that did it.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by slugger9787
Websters: ground zero

noun
Websters Dictionary

I would think definition 2 would be sufficient to justify use of the term?

I'm not saying a nuclear weapon wasn't used, but I doubt that's why the term 'ground zero' was used.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Wasn't the birthplace of the modern Swine Flu hysteria called "ground zero"?

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Why is it called Ground Zero? Short answer: Because it's a disaster zone.

Longer answer: Granted, the original term and usage was associated with nuclear explosions or other bombs but it has been used to describe other types of events. It's used to describe situations that start at a central point and spread outward as well as the main area of a disaster, natural or otherwise. Examples of the usage of the term ground zero not related to nuclear explosions or bombs would include earthquakes, hurricanes, other natural disasters, epidemics and other types of disasters, to name a few. I've even heard it used and used it myself in more casual situations. Suggesting the term was applied only because of nuclear related weapons doesn't hold much credence for me. Your own definitions even give other reasons for the term.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

to induce anger and hate utlilizing neuro-linguistic programming mixed with psychological associations we have become conditioned to recognize through specific symbolism. But, I reserve the right to claim I may be mistaken pending future experiences and information I may garner.

Two Towers: l l
+ Ground Zero: O

lOl

Psychological Warfare utilized to induce and provoke anger through associating a massive death toll through infamously ragefull means and three little symbols that equate to

But (again), I reserve the right to claim I may be mistaken pending future experiences and information I may garner.

Rules of engagement during war?
How many rules are there to the game?
How many laws are there, specifically, in the land of the free?

So long as no one can be permitted to learn the number of mandatory expectations (laws) within one's own lifetime, let alone what they all are, and what they all mean when held in context with one another simultaneously, then there will be those who are not playing by the rules (because they don't know them, nor will they before they die).

Two Towers: l l
Ground Zero: O

lOl
LOL

Funny history we are writing,
ET

new topics

top topics

join