It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Politically Correct??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Since when did people become such sissies?

I've been reading a few posts and it's funny how people try moving around an issue thats bothering them,for example racials issues.They try their very hardest to be as politically correct as possible.I know no one wants to offend anyone,but seriously??Have some guts and just throw it out there.

Think it just breeds more liars and hypocrits.

Why aren't we allowed to hate anyone anymore?Don't think the world is all butterflies and unicorns why pretend that it is?

Just something I've been thinking about.Geuss I just don't like people who try BS'ing me by being politically correct.If u hate a race,gender or religion just say it!

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
While I deplore hate and racism, I think you are correct. I would have more respect (but not much more), for someone who just admits their hate. It's incredibly obvious when they begin sentences with things like, "I'm not racist, but...." Umm, yeah you are racist, if you talk like that. The other one that gets me is when someone makes an anti-Muslim thread and a well-meaning poster calls them on their hatred. The racist will then try to squirm free by saying, "Islam is a religion not an ethnicity, therefore you are the one who is racist." Yes, Caucasions can be Muslims, but most Muslims are not Caucasians. 99% of anti-Muslim rhetoric is racist BS.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I agree completely!! I have been pussy-footing around with this PC crap for WAY too long.

So here goes...

I HATE BIGOTS!!!

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I think the term racist is used too loosely now a days. That gets a lot of people into trouble when trouble isn't warranted.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

A good view on political correctness, worth a listen.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Political correctness comes from an awareness that individual perspective is limited; whatever group you're talking about has their own side of the story. Speaking in generalizations or in a closed minded way that assumes a specific cultural perspective makes someone sound like an idiot. People that try to be politically correct are trying not to sound like idiots, I think.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Political correctness is slowly dragging are society down the toilet, Why is it we are forced to be tolerant of everything we don't agree with. I for one and sick of walking on egg shell's in fear of hurting somebody's feelings.
We have to make everybody winners, in order not to alienate anybody... this only seems to have created a bunch of losers. The world isn't fair and no amount of PC BS is going to make it so. I know PC is all the rage in the academic community, but lets face it academia isn't the real world. The real world is gritty, nasty, and mean spirited.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I hate no one.

I despise some peoples beliefs though.

Anyone that believes in tyranny I despise. Those that want to control others and their rights I despise.

It is hard to separate the person from their beliefs, but I try.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Target Earth

Yeh,there are alot of flaws in it.Seriously doubt the world is as happy as we make it out to be.We live in a society where everyone is ruthlessly competitive.Everyone is trying to get to the top of the ladder.It drives people insane.Just look at China.

I'm not saying the idea of being 'nice' is bad.We were born to be free,all of us.We want to have the things we yern for and all of us want to see our dreams become a reality.But getting there,well thats a whole nother story.

Always had this idea the universe is run by balance.Everything needs to be balanced out.Tilting it too much to one side causes chaos.What if black people are using it to their advantage or women..or anyone.Means someone else loses out.

No amount of PC is going to make the world a better place.Goes deeper then that.The whole system is based on competitiveness.You have to kill if u want to get to the top.

The whole idea of democracy and free speech is crap.Someone is always on the losing end.Wouldn't u say its bigoty if critize someone who has a different opinion then you?Someone who doesn't like females?Some religion?Maybe it's a psycological problem.Just think it's just as bad labeling them.The whole world is full of hypocrasy.

We're a billion life forms,each with our own perception of things,trying to get it across....our view of things.Of course theres going to be some feelings hurt.Depens on who believes in his view the most who ends up being the winner.

Just saying people have become such sissies they rarely question anything anymore.Just go along with societies rules.Or they're so afraid of voicing their opinion.So what if someone racist or sexist or hate muslems or jews.The whole world is insane.We're trying to control something that can't be controled.At some point or another our grip on them is going to loosen and then we're gonna have a whole new set of problems.

So,if people would stop trying to hide behind some veil it would save us all alot of complicated bs.Maybe if we can root out all the racists and sexist,ect,we can give them their own little country and they can do what they want on it.Tolerance isn't enough.People need to be taught to understand and not just one side,but both.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
These days it seems that the most politically correct thing you can do is to be anti political correctness.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The problem is the moment somebody grows some balls and states something unpopular, everybody else pounces the person like a pack of wolves. Most of the attackers are probably just trying to show the others around them how tolerant and non-bigoted they are (the irony of course is obvious).

In other words, people are PC out of necessity. The groupthink does not allow the expression of unpopular opinions. Unpopular opinions are not to be debated, because that would be "granting legitimacy to hate" or some such nonsense. No, an opinion that the Hivemind deems Incorrect is to be shouted down mindlessly and mercilessly.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I agree that we should be honest when we speak to each other, but it also comes with some mutual respect. There are better ways to express yourself effectively without resorting to anything unpleasant. But of course we need to get past the race/religion PC terms we use.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Well said. Ones PC is another's respect for differing opinions. What's wrong with respect for others? Why does one need to state "unpopular" beliefs? If you've got them, fine. You're entitled to them. You have to ask yourself though, "Why is it unpopular"? Maybe your opinion is unpopular because it needs work. Momma used to say, "If you've got nothing nice to say, say nothing."

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Maybe your opinion is unpopular because it needs work.

Or because it makes people uncomfortable.

Since this seems to be directed at me (in spite of the reply attribution), I feel the need to expound upon my point with an example. Hopefully the wolfpack doesn't eat me too hard. I usually keep my more unpopular opinions to myself too, for obvious reasons.

Read the following blog post, and try to identify where the hate is coming from. I'll give you a hint: it's not Larry Summers.

www.fredoneverything.net...

Here's an excerpt:

Over and over it happens, like incurable migraine. A public figure slips up and says something that One Doesn’t Say, something that upsets one tribe or other of the sacred and sensitive—blacks, Jews, women, homosexuals, American Indians. The offender is always a white male. The press attack him like hyenas dragging down a crippled zebra. Invariably, he apologizes profusely, squirming and abasing himself. Invariably he says he didn’t mean it, though invariably he did. Invariably he reminds me of nothing so much as a puppy who knows he shouldn’t have wet the rug.

It is positively kinky. It is D&S, domination and submission, which is sadomasochism without the whips but with the same delight in abasement and abasing.

Truth has nothing to do with these curious performances. When the former president of Harvard, Larry Summers, said that men were better than women at mathematics, he was stating a fact, well settled among those in the field and consonant with historical performance and current experience. (And if he had been wrong, so what?) Yet he spent weeks publicly writhing and licking the feet of any woman who couldn’t outrun him.

It wasn’t honest apology. It was something much more twisted.

[...]

The press, without whom none of this would happen, are not just hypocritical. They positively revel in watching the victims crawl. Their indignation is bogus. I have known all manner of reporters and editors. Few of them are shocked, appalled, horrified and so on at “slurs.” They are not delicates. After forty years in a big-city newsroom, they know the score.

They also know that a lot of the alleged slurs aren’t. For example, when a white football coach says that blacks are better runners, it is (a) true and (b) a compliment. Yet when this happened, the response of the press always was a delighted “Gotcha!” after which they dog-packed the guy.

edit on 28-9-2010 by NewlyAwakened because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NewlyAwakened

I wasn't referring to public figures, they have to play that game. I'm talking about the average Joe/sephene.

new topics

top topics

join