It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scale of universe

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by eccentric_crazy_guy
Maybe it's new to me, but I noticed that is states the observable universe is 14 billion years across, and the entire universe is 93 billion light years across...When did the 93 billion for the entire universe come into play?

14 billion ly is the light-travel distance to the most distant sources. In other words, light arriving here now from that source was emitted 14 billion years ago. The source of that light was perhaps 1 million light years away (angular distance) when the light started its journey. In the mean time, the source might have moved 93 billion ly (luminosity distance) away from us.

Personally, I don't believe in the Big Bang Scenario (it's not a theory). I believe our universe is infinite in size, and always has been infinite in size, though it evidently had a beginning. Our universe is part of an infinitely more complex fractal universe, which exists outside of time.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
this is the neatest thing I have seen online in quite some time! S&F and a big

Bellamy and Del Toro on the same page... also totally awesome.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
thats incredible...i loved that.

and as it says...thats just the small part of the universe we can see.

its crazy how some people still believe there is no life on other planets

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Fantastic Presentation.
Really this is a great resource, is this everything we know (in general) here?

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The link below shows the structure of our universe, we being in the 7th super universe.
www.wingmakers.com...
The link you have provided just shows a fraction of out super universe, none the less it was a good flash presentation! Thanks!
-Naeem

edit on 27/9/2010 by naeem11111 because: A little thank you

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
thanks for sharing, love putting things into perspective

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
this is the best on ATS. thank you very much for the post.

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
i love it, the infintly small and the infintly large, life tends to repeat itself, an atom resemmbles a solar system, while planets can look like particals.

The M theory "string theory" dictates that there are tiny strings showing us our universe, the known universe zoomed out looks like a giant web going out in alll directions. What if these two were the same thing? Just differnt views of looking at it.

That life has no limit, no defination to say what it can and cannot do, it is limitless. There is much we fail to understand and yet so much more to learn, we must always continue our path of knowledge, or else we will fall backwards in our evolutionary cycle

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
What if we're just really small? Size is relative.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   
God that was AMAZING. So the light took 14 billion years to reach us from a certain point but in that time the light or the object/event that emitted that light moved 93 billion light years? I guess I am just a bit confused.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by johnthejedi24

It's explained in this Wikipedia article.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Monty Python's explanation was great! Thanks.

OP, I can't open up the link. Not sure if the problem is on my end but I'll keep trying.
In the meantime, it feels apropos to share this video while we're on the subject of our beautiful Universe!
Enjoy!

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
reply to post by davespanners

Monty Python's explanation was great! Thanks.

OP, I can't open up the link. Not sure if the problem is on my end but I'll keep trying.
In the meantime, it feels apropos to share this video while we're on the subject of our beautiful Universe!
Enjoy!

That last frame of above video.... The smallest part of the whole thing, however it left me speechless for a good 5 minutes, just sitting here and contemplating.

If that image of the universe, when compared to a brain cell, is accurate.... I really dont need to say anything else.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Exodus2pt0

It makes me humbly powerful when I realize we ARE part of the Universe. Our brain (a conscious informational portal if you will) is exactly the same as the Universe. Amazing eh?

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 27th Aquarius

Yes and no. Watch my video. Size doesn't matter relevant to importance. The smallest particles make the whole. For without the quarks, the atom wouldn't be.
Every piece and part of nature is equally as important. It's our design.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Very intriguing it makes you wonder how we are the only creatures in the whole universe.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Intresting, but I take it that electrons orbit atoms only where there is light. It's orbit around the atom is guided by the factor of light. In other words light shapes things, it works in a way, it has an effect on the electromagnetic field.
Same story with making glass you shape it in the fire, or blacksmith making swords, it's the same concept but at a smaller level. Intresting is that things are shaped by nature the way they are, suppose to work in balance.
It's like in startreck , energyze and you get your object. Automated factories would no longer be ran by machies, but by energy shaping. It would be amazing to have a preset to make things out of just light and then let it form in the dark. It would come to self suficient, we would no longer depend on the hardcore poluting industry.
Protons shape electrons, or light shapes darkness into forms.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
S&F for you! Thanks for posting this.

I honestly don't believe that's all there is, at either end of the scale. I think the large and small keep going, far beyond our ability to observe or even comprehend.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
WOW!!! This is such a great experience! We´re definately NOT "in" or "the" center of the Universe! There is sooooo much more out there... it´s really incredible! And if you think that what we can´t see is about 7 times the size of what we can see...
And isn´t there also the theory that here might exist other universes besides ours?

This stuff is mindblowing!!!

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by snapperski

Scale of universe = 1/10 the size of total observed and non observed universe.
or larger then the imagination of ALL

your souls are (CENTER) DONT BELIEVE THAT

edit on 10/13/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join