It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wierd Breakfasts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

The cafe is just off the main drag that forms a T at the top end of Duke St. I forget the name of the road, but if you follow it down from the Chinese arch towards the city centre, you'll eventually get to Lime St. station. The caf is on a side street & is just round the corner from a massive hardware shop that takes up several shop-frontages & is painted bottle green.
Yeah, cash is tight for me @the mo too. If I fancy a beer, I usually go for Newcastle Brown: its pretty cheap, consistently tasty & reasonably strong. TBH, the Tesco's is piss as well, but its no worse, & maybe a bit better, than 'kin Fosters & cheaper.
I dunno if you're old enough to remember "Grunhalle", ie Greenhall Whitley's attempt to copy continental european beer? It was rank. However, I'm guessing that people in the brewing industry have learned something, b/c the Co-Op Czeck style lager is a damn good effort.
I'll tell you where to get a really good feed on the cheap in Liverpool tho: Kimo's on Hardman St. They do a spanking mediteranean breakfast, but if you fancy a proper filling, they do this thing they call a "pocket". I've not eaten the meat version, but the veg type is basically like calzone, but with a really liquid cheese & garlic sauce inside + tons of fresh salad (including herbs) served with it.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The day after the night before, more alcohol would just have me camping out in the bathroom for the rest of the day. It seems cold pizza seems to be common, that is one of my faves also, it contains all the food groups. That with gingerale, lots of tea, and something
to smoke that kills the nausea.

I had a friend before that HAD to have won ton soup, no matter how far we had to travel for it.

edit on 26-9-2010 by snowspirit because: adding soup

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

Okay nice one, I'm possibly in Liverpool on Thursday with work so if I get the chance I'll have a drive around and find the place, the function I'm possibly attending includes dinner so I'm not sure if I'll be hungry enough to try anything from the cafe but I'll still scout the place out for future reference

I don't remember "Grunhalle" to be honest, but it sounds as bad as you say it tasted

Newcastle Brown is pretty good in my opinion, as you said it's fairly strong and tastes pretty good. I'll be sure to check out the Co-ops Czeck beer though...

Carlsberg Elephant beer was good when they brought it back over here, can't seem to find it now though

I'll check out the other cafe in Liverpool aswell if I get the chance, got me some investigating to do

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
My other weird breakfast is my usual hang over cure.

Cold left over anchovy pizza and a Corneto (ice cream)
That sounds like something out of the film "Shaun of the Dead"!
Cold pizza tho: guilty pleasures...

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 05:19 AM
link   
My breakfast is usually coffee and cigarettes.

The strangest thing I like in the morning would probably be cold pizza.

-TheAssoc.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I know someone who makes a tea out of grated fresh ginger as a morning after remedy. He likes 1 of those smokes too. Personally, I find I may as well write the day off if I indulge that early...
When I was in Thailand, I used to enjoy the veggie version of tom yum soup for a mid-morning snack (no fish sauce & mushrooms instead of dead creatures). You could get it hot (& amoebic dysentary if you're not careful: I wasn't
) from street vendors. The best thing tho was the street stalls that did fruit juice. They had piles of all sorts of fresh fruit & they'd juice &/or puree whichever you chose with ice on the spot. It was cheaper than a cold coke too. I really wish someone would start doing that in the UK, but, chances are, it'd be in Covent Garden & £5 a pop!

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I never tried Elephant Beer. Whats it like?
A long lost fave early tipple of mine was Badger Breweries (I know, but somehow they got this stuff right!) Ansty Ale. What made it so good for the morning was that it still tasted alright if it wasn't chilled. This was back in the 80s when, if a corner shop chilled drinks at all, it was just coca-cola co manufactured soft drinks & maybe a few popular (ie bland & weak) lagers, so, on those mornings where beer is the only answer... you know?

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate
That used to be a fave of mine, but I'm really sensitive to caffeine these days, so if I have any at all, it'll be 1 coffee in the afternoon. I've heard it called a "whore's breakfast": I never have actually sold myself, but as for all the other connotations, they're not exactly inaccurate!
For a while, I got really into Irish Coffee for breakfast, but not like you'd get it in a restaurant:
(This needs a fire or gas stove to prepare.)
Take a piece of steel (a fire poker is perfect) & set it to heating.
Grind your coffee beans (I prefer a mix of dark Columbian with a hint of high plantation Jamaican).
When the steel is getting just below cherry-red, place a pan with just over 3/4 of a pint of cold water in it on the heat & add the coffee.
The trick is to make sure it never bubbles. Keep it just below the simmer until the brew is nice & dark.
The grinds will be still floating on the surface. Remove from the heat.
Take the hot steel & run it just over the surface of the brew so that it boils madly only in the top 2mm.
The grinds will now sink. Pour it quickly into a pint glass with 1/4 pint of Jameson's Whiskey. Add the cream top in the traditional 'pour-over-a-spoon' manner so that it floats on top.
Consume with cigarettes.
Looks like Guiness; tastes like heaven; sets you up to face anything (except driving!).

-TheAssoc.
Seems there's a consensus forming around cold pizza. I'm wondering if this is a man thing. Are the any female ATSers that go for such fare?

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate

-TheAssoc.

Oh that's mine too!!
I quitted smoking for a while... but no, it didnt work.
*sigh*

Anyway.
cold pizza is a must on weekends, when you wake up at 3pm! yes.
it's like breakfast and lunch together.

edit on 28/9/10 by plutoxgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by plutoxgirl

Aha! So its not just a man thing then... I think maybe I know some particularly fussy women!
If you dont mind me asking, which would you choose between yesterdays cold chow mein & making fresh noodles?

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunken Drum

Aha! So its not just a man thing then... I think maybe I know some particularly fussy women!
If you dont mind me asking, which would you choose between yesterdays cold chow mein & making fresh noodles?

Well, my friend- I cant eat in the mornings. Food disgusts me at that time of the day.
Just a cup of coffe and the cigarette is fine.

However, on weekends is a different story!- waking up veeeeeeeeery late and cold pizza leftovers from fridays/saturdays night are a wanted classic for me

Btw- I am a vegetarian and I hate cooking.
*sigh* talking about fussines

Regarding your question... what do you mean for breakfast?- ew- none!-
Pizza only is allowed as a breakfast food and ON weekends. Just because. ; )

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Wow! This topic is getting way more interesting than I expected.
I'm vegetarian too, also a breakfast-o-phobe & dont like cooking. Are/were you pretty skinny in your youth/early adulthood as well, despite being able to pig-out on whatever you fancy later in the day? Until my mid 30s, I had so little fat on me that, if you watched carefully, you could literally see the effect of my heartbeat on my 6pack! Now I'm 42 & do have flab around my waist, but the rest of me is still almost too firm. I'm wondering if there could be some genetic thing, possibly linked to our hunter/gatherer inheritance, that makes us this way...
I ended up with a potentially serious medical condition as a result of my inability to eat early, which only got picked up b/c I changed Dr. @the routine baseline health check. Apparently, our livers convert excess carbohydrates into glycogen for temporary storage. If we dont need the energy, the glycogen gets converted to fat. If we do need the energy. its broken back down into sugars our cells can use.
I suspect my case may have been a bit extreme, b/c I was very active in the am (despite being ultra-grumpy about it
) & couldn't face food even by lunchtime. The 1st snack I'd have would be mid-afternoon. I was told that making my body work that hard was resulting in protein being expressed by my kidneys into my urine. As it happens, I never did suffer from any infection, but apparently the environment in my bladder & urethra were ripe for something potentially horrendous to get a foothold.
(Strange how this info should become relevant in another thread at the same time as the ongoing debate about foreskins! Coincidence? My hole! No such thing!)
I had to train myself to eat as early as I could &, 20+yrs later, I still cant eat until 2-3hrs after waking. However, liquid food 1st thing, instead of just thirst quenching &/or stimulating drinks, seems to do the trick.
(Cont below)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
(Cont from above)
So yeah, for me "breakfast" is a relative term, as it seems to be for you. My question about leftovers vs starting from scratch centers around "Can you be bothered?" I picked noodles as an example b/c, lets be fair, is there any other food, that cannot be eaten raw, that takes less effort to prepare?
Personally, if I've got leftover takeaway, or, on the odd occasion I have cooked, the remains of it in the fridge, I cant even be bothered to nuke it hot, let alone make something even as simple as noodles from scratch!
Btw, related to my emerging hypothesis about genetics, would you also describe yourself as something of a party animal?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

(Cont from above)
So yeah, for me "breakfast" is a relative term, as it seems to be for you. My question about leftovers vs starting from scratch centers around "Can you be bothered?" I picked noodles as an example b/c, lets be fair, is there any other food, that cannot be eaten raw, that takes less effort to prepare?
Personally, if I've got leftover takeaway, or, on the odd occasion I have cooked, the remains of it in the fridge, I cant even be bothered to nuke it hot, let alone make something even as simple as noodles from scratch!
Btw, related to my emerging hypothesis about genetics, would you also describe yourself as something of a party animal?

Oh very interesting all you write! hello fellow vegetarian ... You are now in my friends list.

I havent seen many around here.

Anyway, yeah, I've always been slim. But there were times when I could eat on mornings- and I love orange juice and some fruits or bread. And cereals.

But the last few years nope.

And that's bad actually, because both cofee and cigarettes are poison. :O
I'm conscious of it.
But blah

I'm not a heavy smoker though. And coffee only one cup per day- more than that would make me sick. *ew-

It's complicated being vegetarians and not being fond of cooking.
I'm lucky enough to have someone that does it for me

(Of course there are extreme times I have to cook for myself.... but arghhhhh. It's so boring!)-
At other times, I do feel the inspiration to bake something for my loved ones. But that happens once in a year or for birthdays.

Well, yeah, I used to party a lot.

I'm 26 now.. and party is not on my priorities/interests anymore.
But I do enjoy it from time to time- however I much prefer small reunions or the quiet of my home

edit on 29/9/10 by plutoxgirl because: sp

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Elephant beer was great! Pretty strong aswell, if I remember around 7.5/8%, you could get 8 330ml (I think) bottles for around £8/9 and believe me you knew you had been hit by an elephant after that!!!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Yeah we veggies are a young tribe in the west, but 1day we'll take over the world, muahahaha!
FRIEND = reciprocated.
Very similar to me then, but not a perfect correlation. Still, a sample group of 2 isn't anything to go on. Hopefully more will pop by & tell us what they think. How about you, Death_Kron? Being a fellow breakfast-o-phobe...

I'll add this anecdote b/c, to a vegetarian, it'll be somewhat amusing:
In '89 my ex-wife & I had recently met & were having a whirlwind romance. We were @a very posh hotel & flying on the endorphines of love, so we didn't care that, whilst the other service was beyond excellent, they were letting us down culinarily & we were so happy that we didn't care what we said to anybody.
Mid morning 3rd day, I was getting a bit conscious of the stupid amount of money it was costing us & feeling that food ought to be spot on for the price. I rung down for room service & had to explain our requirements yet again. The bloke on the other end asked "Do you like fish?" Before I'd even thought about it, I found myself replying, "Of course I like fish. Thats why I dont eat 'em!"

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Yeah, Carlsberg know what they're doing when it comes to strong beer. What do you think of Special Brew?
Personally, I dont like the taste, but if its lunacy I'm after, its a "1 stop shop" to get it from! 1st thing tho... Hmmm... That way dangerous madness lies...

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Yeah we veggies are a young tribe in the west, but 1day we'll take over the world, muahahaha!
FRIEND = reciprocated.
Very similar to me then, but not a perfect correlation. Still, a sample group of 2 isn't anything to go on. Hopefully more will pop by & tell us what they think. How about you, Death_Kron? Being a fellow breakfast-o-phobe...

I'll add this anecdote b/c, to a vegetarian, it'll be somewhat amusing:
In '89 my ex-wife & I had recently met & were having a whirlwind romance. We were @a very posh hotel & flying on the endorphines of love, so we didn't care that, whilst the other service was beyond excellent, they were letting us down culinarily & we were so happy that we didn't care what we said to anybody.
Mid morning 3rd day, I was getting a bit conscious of the stupid amount of money it was costing us & feeling that food ought to be spot on for the price. I rung down for room service & had to explain our requirements yet again. The bloke on the other end asked "Do you like fish?" Before I'd even thought about it, I found myself replying, "Of course I like fish. Thats why I dont eat 'em!"

Hahaha! loved the anecdote on the hotel about fish.

You know, most people just don't understand.-
It's very boring trying to reasonate with them. And I really don't care what they do- unless of course, it's someone I love- then I try to make them be healither and wiser about it.

Love fellow animals-, for they have souls- and rights.
Protect Earth- your current home.
And save yourself.
Dont put corpses inside your system.

Easy.

Anyway.

Amazing your ex-wife was a vegetarian; my ex boyfriend was carnivorous- and very close minded about it. He just loved meat.

Can you tell it's also one of the reasons we broke up? ...sigh.*

I used to think that differences in diet- lifestyle was not a big deal-
now I'm 100% sure- that sadly vegetarians and carnivours cannot last in a serious relatinship for much time- even if there's plenty of love.

edit on 4/10/10 by plutoxgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Seems there's a consensus forming around cold pizza. I'm wondering if this is a man thing. Are the any female ATSers that go for such fare?

I'm a woman. Love pizza, cold is very good too. Has all the food groups (I like vegies, herbs). I also make my own, there are no pizza places within 2 hours of where I live.

I can't handle drinking anymore, so I very seldom do it, hangovers just got too wicked, but I will still go for the cold pizza in the morning for breakfast, even if not hungover. It's just so good.

posted on Apr, 16 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
One time i woke up at about 7.30am because i was so hungry and decided to make a bacon sarnie, and as i was getting the bacon from the fridge i noticed some sausages, eggs and mushrooms. So i bunged it all into a frying pan and went to get some bread ready, i looked at the bread and decided it would be good to make a bit of fried toast for the sandwich. Anyway when i put this monstrosity together and began eating it the oil was running down my hands and arms, i managed to finish it as i was really hungry but it had its consequences.lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join