It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AuroraMax Webcam = Public Education And International Monitoring Of Solar Storms?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
So Canada has set up a webcam to broadcast LIVE aurora activity around the world, and are calling this program AuroraMax.

www.asc-csa.gc.ca...

www.asc-csa.gc.ca/eng/astronomy/auroramax/default.asp

Why do something like this? The main stream media has different view points on the subject.

Of course, the main view is that AuroraMax is a cool program where you can see nature's beauty streaming live on your laptop from the comfort of your own home.

www.torontosun.com...

www.torontosun.com...

But, you can piece together what I believe to be the real story under the fluff, by looking at a few other news sources.

www.examiner.com... ne

www.examiner.com...

"The AuroraMAX project is a five-year educational and public outreach initiative that will monitor the intensity and frequency of the aurora borealis above Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, during Solar Maximum, the most active period in the 11-year sunspot cycle (expected in 2013)."

www.wired.com...

www.wired.com...

"The camera goes live between dusk and dawn, which is currently about 12 a.m. to 8 a.m. EST (or 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. GMT). The webcam will be live until May 2012."

www.asc-csa.gc.ca... ty.asp

www.asc-csa.gc.ca...

"These events generate huge solar storms with bursts of energy that accelerate the solar wind to speeds of over a million kilometres per hour. If an intense solar wind is launched towards Earth, the charged particles will trigger spectacular auroras, but could damage satellites in orbit, and knock out power grids, radio communication and GPS systems on Earth."

I feel that AuroraMax serves two purposes.

1. Educate the public about solar storms, and the real dangers associated with these storms.

2. International government "on-Earth" monitoring of the next solar maximum.

I'm wondering why this "5 year project" will stop broadcasting (at least to the public) on May 2012, when the solar maximum is supposed to peak in 2013?

What are your thoughts? Please share!!!!!

edit on 25-9-2010 by BattleStarGal because: Changed Title

edit on 25-9-2010 by BattleStarGal because: For some reason a few links won't open, but they are correct. Added the full URL.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Why does the public need to be educated about this? Most people have already heard of Aurora, seen photos or videos of it. Why the need for LIVE web streams? That just doesn't seem to be necessary, nobody is demanding it.

It's a cool idea for the private sector/volunteers to do this, but why as part of a public education program?

You are right. This is in preparation for the possible event occurring where we get hit by a major solar storm - they are hoping the world will understand why it's happening. Awareness and such.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Why does the public need to be educated about this? Most people have already heard of Aurora, seen photos or videos of it. Why the need for LIVE web streams? That just doesn't seem to be necessary, nobody is demanding it.

giggling, I am sorry.

This is about aurora borealis (northern lights) not about the "secret" aircraft called Aurora.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/486c1bf0f18d.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 25-9-2010 by berkeleygal because: added image

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
giggling, I am sorry.

This is about aurora borealis (northern lights) not about the "secret" aircraft called Aurora.

Where in the hell did you get the idea I was talking about anything other than the Aurora Borealis (let alone a space plane)? That's what the topic is about. I said Aurora.

You do realize that the term "Aurora" is a valid term which covers both the Borealis (norther lights) and the Australis (southern lights), right?

Funny you should jump to strange conclusion whilst "giggling"...is your head in the "clouds"?

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

Ha

I read your post several times, thought about it and I really thought that's what you meant.

Head in clouds? I do live in Berkeley

sorry I giggled

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I think they have a mandate to generate an interest in the public to have more funding tossed their way.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I'd like to bump this thread since it is an opportunity for those caught in the night glare of cities to see some truly beautiful and amazing events.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I've found the United Kingdom's equivalent to Canada's AuroraMax, in regard to public education about solar storms.

solarstormwatch.com...

It's called Solar Storm Watch, and it reminds me of the old SETI screensaver program, in that "the scientist" must enlist the help of the public in order to effectively monitor data. In this case, the public is needed to watch the sun for solar storms.

solarstormwatch.com...

"The more people who can do this process, the more we will be able to know about one of these storms and which direction it's going in and exactly how fast. The collective measurements by lots of people is worth a lot more than a subjective opinion of one person."

www.nmm.ac.uk...

"Solar Stormwatch volunteers can spot these storms and track their progress across space towards the Earth. Such storms can be harmful to astronauts in orbit and have the potential to knock out communication satellites, disrupt mobile phone networks and damage power lines. With the public’s help, Solar Stormwatch will allow solar scientists to better understand these potentially dangerous storms and help to forecast their arrival time at Earth"

posted on Sep, 27 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Here is Australia's response to solar storms.

www.smh.com.au...

"The plan, called Building a National Presence in Space, recommends the development of a ground network called SpaceShip Australis to monitor space weather."

www.science.org.au...

"If the severe space weather storm of May 1921 happened today, it is predicted that it would cost more than US$1 trillion. Power grids would be damaged, causing long-term blackouts, chronic shortages, and severe economic problems. Satellites would be degraded and even destroyed, affecting GPS services, communications, weather prediction, and security worldwide. Australia’s society and economy would also be strongly affected. It is imperative that we understand space science and develop Australia’s expertise in it."

new topics

top topics

join