It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Hypertrophic Child With Myostatin Mutation (Super Baby)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Ladies and gentlemen, we have seen the future of humanity. Mutation is very real, and in this case may lead to medical breakthroughs.

What am I babbling about, you ask?

The AP is reporting that Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine will report on a toddler in Germany whose DNA has mutated from the norm to block production of the protein myostatin. Without myostatin in his system, he has twice the muscle and half the body fat of children his own age.

Previously, experimentation on lab mice at Johns Hopkins University had led to mice with better muscle growth, but it was unknown if the idea would apply to humans. With the discovery of this child's genetics, we can see that the same principle applies to humans.

This could lead to breakthroughs in research for muscular dystrophy and diabetes, as well as muscle deterioration from cancer and aging.

Somewhere in Germany is a baby Superman, born in Berlin with bulging arm and leg muscles. Not yet 5, he can hold seven-pound weights with arms extended, something many adults cannot do. He has muscles twice the size of other kids his age and half their body fat. DNA testing showed why: The boy has a genetic mutation that boosts muscle growth.

Yahoo News

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The New England Journal Of Medicine

[edit on 24-6-2004 by John bull 1]

[edit on 6-24-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I can agree with working to stop stuff like cancer and other diseases, but counteracting the natural process of aging isnt the wisest thing to persue, as its only going to upset the natural balance we have going. If only it could be assured that scientists would be responsible with this discovery, but thats probably hoping for far too much from them.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Well, what do you know, Germans working on a master race. Who would have ever guessed....? I'm not implying thats it's that old voodoo that they do so well, but, of all the nations on the planet, Somehow I knew it would be Germany to do something like this.
Next step will be a "Mutation" to give you blonde hair and blue eyes.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 04:59 AM
link   
The Last Patriot, that's a pretty offensive view. Modern Germans are really hurt by that kind of comment. If you knew anything about Germany, you would know that the people you are implying there are an extremely small part of the German population, and they definitely don't have the knowledge for much more than drinking, intimidation and violence.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
I can agree with working to stop stuff like cancer and other diseases, but counteracting the natural process of aging isnt the wisest thing to persue, as its only going to upset the natural balance we have going. If only it could be assured that scientists would be responsible with this discovery, but thats probably hoping for far too much from them.

There is no natural process of aging - it is encoded in our DNA - If you ask and scientist he/she will tell you that if we unlock the DNA potential, we can live boyond the "natural way". Yes just to spare me to replay following posts: I know it has to do with the shrinking of the thymus gland but it is all encoded in our Program called DNA.
BTW I'm german born and did live most of my life in Germany and I'm not offended by comments above or maybe below. There is some truth in that

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Don't get me wrong, Zzub, I'm not saying that this is the rebirth of the Hitler youth. But, you can't honestly say that the term "master race" didn't cross your mind when reading about it.
And I do know many Germans, and i'm sure they would find my statements offensive. thats perfectly O.K. It's also the intended response. It just seems strange, and somehow ironic that of all the nations, the one that actually tried to implement a kind of master race would be the one where this was found.
As for their being offended, tough. the attempted extermination of a race of people is not something you just walk away from.
This "mutation" probably has nothing to do with Germanys Nazi past. It very well could be a herald of a bright new future.
Not sure I want it in the hands of a people that perfected the term "ethnic cleansing."

Just a little dig at the people who killed my grandfather.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 05:52 AM
link   
damn, X-men are getting closer to reality.
who knows what happens next.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Guys -- you're all aware, aren't you, that this is a NATURALLY OCCURING MUTATION? It's happened before. This time, because of conditions in the world and because of advances in science (to where we can detect and understand this), we recognize the mutation.

(not to get too grouchy, here -- just wanted to zap the notion that someone created the kid by Unnatural Means.)

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:14 AM
link   

But, you can't honestly say that the term "master race" didn't cross your mind when reading about it.

I can.

Just a little dig at the people who killed my grandfather.

They have probably died already.

i'm sure they (the Germans) would find my statements offensive. thats perfectly O.K. It's also the intended response.

Are you sure this is how you want people here to see you?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSwordMaster
damn, X-men are getting closer to reality.
who knows what happens next.

LOL. i see what you mean..a while ago it was the girl with the x-ray vision and now its a super strong child.

I think your statements 'The Last Patriot' are rather in bad taste. its worth remembering that there is many good germans around today and probally feel bad about the stuff that happened many years ago.

Rynaldo

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Zzub, I apologize. Most of my statements should have been made in the mud-pit. ATSNN was not the appropriate place for me to vent. Sometimes I forget which board I'm on.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Patriot..... Sometimes I forget which board I'm on.

Thanks for your understanding, no hard feelings. See you in the pit!

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven

Natural balance? Nothing personal but nature gave us intelligence and if we use that intelligence to live 1000 years then it is natural. Sorry I dont buy into the notion that mankind should be limited because of someones religion or supposed nature of things.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven
Natural balance? Nothing personal but nature gave us intelligence and if we use that intelligence to live 1000 years then it is natural. Sorry I dont buy into the notion that mankind should be limited because of someones religion or supposed nature of things.

Im going to agree with Xeven with his statement, anything we produce came from a long stream of mental research and preparation, of course this would raise alot of ethical questions and thats natural there is always public outcry.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Do children who have this mutation grow up normally--I mean, physically? Are there any health pitfalls for these children as they age? Or will they just grow up to be Supermen?
I always wonder about these things, because it seems to me that as nature gives you an above-normal "gift," there is always a down-side to it to balance things out. Or not.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cassie Clay
Do children who have this mutation grow up normally--I mean, physically? Are there any health pitfalls for these children as they age? Or will they just grow up to be Supermen?
I always wonder about these things, because it seems to me that as nature gives you an above-normal "gift," there is always a down-side to it to balance things out. Or not.

This is undoubtedly one of the many things they'll need to look at in researching this mutation. If there are no ill effects, that would definitely make it easier when creating an artificial means of generating the same attributes. If there are side-effects that haven't been seen yet, then obviously this puts more obstacles in the way of creating an artificial method of recreating the condition as a means of therapy.

One of those deals where only time will tell, I guess.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
How can it be the only case if its a natural genetic mutation? If it really was a natural mutation, there would be many cases. What if it really isnt a natural mutation, but a artificial mutation?

[edit on 6/24/04 by xenophanes85]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by xenophanes85
How can it be the only case if its a natural genetic mutation? If it really was a natural mutation, there would be many cases. What if it really isnt a natural mutation, but a artificial mutation?

Just because it's a natural mutation, doesn't mean that it has to be something that is commonplace. The genetic abnormality may have happened before, but you have to keep in mind that we haven't always had the ability to view and test DNA. This is the only currently known case of this mutation. That doesn't mean it has to be artificially-induced.

They're looking at how to artificially induce it now though.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Lets just say i wont be suprised when i see him all grown up and he takes the spotlight in WWF (or is it WWE now?)

Neways...Imagine him later in life, after he pumps up for ages at the gym lifting weights n stuff, Muscleman.

No kids will wanna get on his bad side ;P

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I predict the abnormality will backfire later in his life and start to work in reverse - like those giants whos hearts just stop working.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join