It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to review Guantanamo Prisoners for Release

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The US has appointed Navy Secretary Gordon England to head a review to see if any of the 600 detainees at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, can be released.

This may be an atempt at heading off the many "due process" issues that are arising in the courts.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Even Ted Bundy and Jeffery Dalhmer were charged with a crime and had a trial. If my Dad was there, and did nothing wrong, I'd be mad as hell. Unless we actually charge these people and hold them accountable for something, how will we know? If they are gulity, fine, kill them or torture them or whatever (sarcasm). If they are innocent, let them go home. Can the military make mistake during mass round-ups? Possibly. Let's explore that possibility. I think Abu Gharib has proven that we can torture a lot of innocent people.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The funny thing about this review is that it will not determine guilt or innocence; it will merely determine if they still pose a threat. I'd like to find out hw they determine that.

posted on Jul, 16 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Things are moving along with regard to this matter.

It's sometimes said that the wheels of justice move slowly. This is a prime example - some of these detainees have been held without trial for nearly 3 years. No doubt this will be grist to the mill for the spin doctors on either side, with the US elections being held in a few months' time.

The Pentagon says it has notified all detainees at Guantanamo Bay that they can challenge their detentions, including in the US courts. It also says it expects new tribunals to review the legal status of terror suspects to start in a week or so.

The move follows a Supreme Court ruling enabling inmates to challenge their detention through the US legal system.

A new Office of Detainee Affairs has also been instituted by the Pentagon. Maybe these measures will help sweeten the air after the stench of Guantanamo Bay and the damning reports of prisoner abuse at the Abu Ghraib prison.

Full story at

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 17 2004 @ 06:08 AM
link   
An update on this - & I'm not feeling as optimistic now. Even Amnesty International has voiced fears.

They will not have defence lawyers - but a "personal representative" - a military officer who is not bound by rules of confidentiality and can pass on any incriminating evidence provided by the detainees for use in future trials
The detainees will not have access to classified information in their files, but their representative is supposed to give them an unclassified explanation of the case against them, the US navy secretary said

Justice won't even appear to be done for the Guantanamo detainees. As a matter of fact, it's near impossible to even imagine that they're going to get any justice at all. These people haven't been charged yet they've been locked up for near on 3 years, there's suspicions of abuse - and their "impending release" just looks like a travesty to me.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Truth, justice, and the American way of life, shame on you.

top topics

join