It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest dinosaur femur in Europe discovered in Spain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Remember this thread? It talks about the discovery of a new species of dinosaur which had a hump in Las Hoyas, Cuenca, Spain.

Yesterday, spanish paleontologists (from the Fundación Conjunto Paleontológico de Teruel-Dinópolis) discovered the biggest dinosaur femur of Europe, in Riodeva, Teruel:

Source - translation by me

Paleontologists from the Fundación Conjunto Paleontológico de Teruel-Dinópolis have discovered, in a deposit of Riodeva, in Teruel, a dinosaur femur that could be the biggest in Europe.

The bone, that measures 1'92m (6'29 feet), has been discovered in 'San Lorenzo' deposit, in Riodeva, where, in 2003, bones from the 'Turiasaurus riodevensis' (which measured thirty metres and whose estimated weight is 40 tons) were recovered.

The director Alberto Cobos explained that this fossil was discovered three months ago. "First we found the femur, and, while trying to recover it, we found more bones". They have found the femur, a 1'25m right tibia, fifteen vertebrae (from the tail), eleven chevrons, an almost completed nail, teeth and part of the skull.

Cobos says that it isn't determined that these remains belong to a new dinosaur or to the 'Turiasaurus riodevensis' (whose fossils were found in 145 million years old sediments).

Only 12m² have been excavated and "our experience says that it is strange to find just one specimen in a single deposit".

Now scientists are working in the laboratory to reach final conclusions.

Pictures from the femur and remains are shown:

edit on 24-9-2010 by Spinotoror because: I'll post news as they come.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
godzilla? haha just kidding it might be a cousin to the gigantosaur? :S

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by bam bam

If that's true, that had to be quite a big family

By the way:
CNRS.FR

The first excavations at the Audoin quarries in the town of Angeac, in the Charente region of south-western France, have confirmed that the site is one of the richest dinosaur fossil deposits in the country.

[...] With more than 400 bones brought to light, this site is remarkable both for the quantity of discoveries and their state of preservation. [...] The most impressive is a femur exceeding 2.2 meters, which could have belonged to the largest sauropod known in Europe.

'I bet mine is bigger than yours'

edit on 6-10-2010 by Spinotoror because: (no reason given)

new topics

join