It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas weighs bid to rid schools of 'pro-Islam' books

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Texas weighs bid to rid schools of 'pro-Islam' books

www.bbc.co.uk

The Texas school board is set to vote on a resolution urging publishers to keep "pro-Islamic/anti-Christian" language out of textbooks in the state.

Among other complaints, the non-binding decree says some textbooks devote more lines to Islam than to Christianity and print "whitewashes" of Islamic culture.

Critics say it relies on a flawed reading of books that are out of use.

In May, the panel adopted guidelines that critics said injected conservative political ideas into the curriculum.

Texas is one of the largest textbook markets in the US, and a vote in favour of the resolu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
The crazy American far-right Christian fundamentalists are at it again.

"It's the pro-Islamic, anti-Christian teachings in these books, that is what we are concerned about," Mr Rives told the BBC.

"We're teaching double the beliefs and specifics about another religion than we are about Christianity, which is the foundation of our country."

Among several complaints, the resolution says that a textbook used until 2003 used pejorative language to describe the crusaders while "euphemising Muslim conquest of Christian lands as 'migrations'".

The United States were NOT founded with Christianity in mind, they were founded with religious freedom in mind - which is exactly the OPPOSITE of what these scumbags are trying to enforce.

The crusades were a power grab by white Christians, with the Byzantine emperor trying to reclaim Antioch. Simply put, religion was used (as usual) by tyrants to wage a personal war.

"This resolution is another example of state board members putting politics ahead of expertise and refusing to consider the advice of real scholars before doing something provocative and divisive," the group said in a statement.

"Indeed, the board has asked no scholars or other experts for public advice about the resolution."

Typically, the religious mentalists that have entrenched themselves in the U.S. really don't care about freedom, liberty, democracy or even human rights - as long as they get to 'bring the sword' to anyone who disagrees with them they're happy.

I feel sorry for the religiously-subjugated people of Texas - fight back against Christian religious extremism, or you will lose more than you think!!!

Parallex.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 24-9-2010 by Parallex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

Well, I dont think schools should be "pro" or "anti" any religion. Its a public funded and operated school. There shouldnt be ANY bias toward anything. Schools should stick with the facts and only the facts. This shouldnt be an issue or a debate. I felt this was common sense.

edit on 24-9-2010 by AzoriaCorp because: edit

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Schools should be unbiased towards all religions and secular. The only part religion should play in schools is that of a subject that is studied so people have a broad knowledge of all main religions. This will at least eliminate the people who are racist because of their ignorance.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   

"It's the pro-Islamic, anti-Christian teachings in these books, that is what we are concerned about," Mr Rives told the BBC.

"We're teaching double the beliefs and specifics about another religion than we are about Christianity, which is the foundation of our country."

Among several complaints, the resolution says that a textbook used until 2003 used pejorative language to describe the crusaders while "euphemising Muslim conquest of Christian lands as 'migrations'".

and you have a problem with this?

are you an american? you want your kids subjected to this propaganda?

as to what america was founded on, it was not islam.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
This is some HEAVY propaganda on a state and national level. First off, the idea of having animosity and bias toward religions is to cause discourse and by that they mean to disrupt unity, by pitting students with a differing opinion or religion against eachtother and ultimately disrupting an overall successful education process.

In other words: Keep them dumb, keep them divided, and keep them full of hate = easy to control and manipulate.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzoriaCorp
In other words: Keep them dumb, keep them divided, and keep them full of hate = easy to control and manipulate.

As "fooks" has demonstrated so ably above.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Well at least Texas will continue to provide us the best ditch diggers, factory works, and other labor resources with low intellectual requirements.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzoriaCorp

Well, I dont think schools should be "pro" or "anti" any religion. Its a public funded and operated school. There shouldnt be ANY bias toward anything. Schools should stick with the facts and only the facts. This shouldnt be an issue or a debate. I felt this was common sense.

edit on 24-9-2010 by AzoriaCorp because: edit

this is what should be should be done with school books.

no pro and no anti.

"just the facts mam"

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

And now you've shown that you can come back into the real world and think for yourself. Well done, I'm impressed.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
good for texas, they stand up for what is right, schools should be secular and not highlight any one religion over the other.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by christinaV
good for texas, they stand up for what is right, schools should be secular and not highlight any one religion over the other.

But that's not what they are saying!!!!! Did you even read the article?

They don't want secular textbooks... they want PRO-CHRISTIAN textbooks... They dont want history of islam or any other religion EXCEPT CHRISTIANITY...

*face palm*

Maybe you are from Texas?

edit on 24-9-2010 by HunkaHunka because: sumtin sumtin

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   

that's what i said in the first place.

i will teach my kids myself in religion.

when i was in school, we had religious holidays for sure but they were not treated like today.

there was no problem with symbols or icons. we were christian or jewish or what ever and crosses and minora's

etc, were all over at times.

no conflict at all and no special treatment. you were in trouble if you came from a different area of town, maybe.

but not racial or religious reasons.

i was lucky to grow up in the 50-60's.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

well if it's true, why not?

don't sugar coat islamic conquests and downplay christian values.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

First of all any values based on fairy tales are suspect.

I'm very interested in the history of all religions being taught to my son, so he can learn that every primitive tribe makes up stories to justify their existence.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

Look at it from my point of view....

"Don't sugar coat Christian conquests, and downplay Islamic values."

I'm not Islamic, nor am I Christian. I'm a white, typically western guy. I just don't like the Christian supremacist people! And ATS is chock FULL of them.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex

Where were you when prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance was taken out of school? Did the "crazy Christian fundamentalists accomplish this? The Constitution states that Congress "shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

If Christianity can be taken out of public schools then all other religions, including Islam, should be taken out also. No Christian prayers? Cool, but Muslims students will not be able to pull their little towels out at certain times of the day and kneel towards Mecca.

Hey look! Two wrongs do make a right!

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

Where were you when prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance was taken out of school? Did the "crazy Christian fundamentalists accomplish this? The Constitution states that Congress "shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

If Christianity can be taken out of public schools then all other religions, including Islam, should be taken out also. No Christian prayers? Cool, but Muslims students will not be able to pull their little towels out at certain times of the day and kneel towards Mecca.

I know you wont believe me, but I agree with you. Get rid of religion out of schools!

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

sadly, I am in Texas and it drives me insane to hear about this.

If Texas separated from the US. I would have to move ASAP. This place is ran by rednecks, racists, and bigots.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

Ummm I've confused as to how someone's PERSONAL choices of Religion are the same as say...a SCHOOL SPONSORING of religion. There's a big difference there my friend and you've seemed to have...twisted the lines, so to speak. Basically under our laws a PUBLIC SCHOOL can't uphold a religion. (Meaning no Religion Classes, No 5-min prayer before class like they had at my high school....) However, that doesn't limit and INDIVIDUAL from choosing to pray whenever they want in school. And just so you know...You come off very RUDE towards Islamic people by saying "Pull their little towels out". Surely you'd be just as mad if I said "Those darn Christians, always pulling out their darn crucifixes and rosary's".

Look the point is this. If you are going to teach RELIGION in a PUBLIC SCHOOL it has to be from a 3rd party point of view, as in...not favoring any specific religion. I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt that ANY public school in Texas is favoring the teachings of Islam over the teachings of Christianity. Just seems like the Christians on the School Board can't help but get peeved that Islam is getting the equal treatment THAT IT DESERVES

From my point of view? You can believe whatever the hell you want and prayer to whatever the hell you like, but a PUBLIC SCHOOL that is funded by ALL TAXPAYERS (Christian, Jews, Muslims, ect ALIKE) has to have an UN-BIASED view when approaching the study of religion. To be honest though? I'd just prefer it wasn't even included in Public School.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join