It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

River disappears overnight after loud bang is heard

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   
On Tuesday night 2km of the river Iska in Slovenia disappeared and left behind fish on dry ground. The residents are saying that they heard a huge bang in the night. It sounds like they are describing it as a possible earthquake-like sound although there was no tremor. One woman said that it was like a huge detonation, as if something big had crashed onto the ground. People went out of their homes to see what was falling down, only to witness the river being drained.

To make this story even more strange, last week there were devastating floods in Slovenia and this river like all others was flooding land and properties. Could it be that some strange technology is being tested here for flood defence purpose? The official explanation is that due to the karst nature of the terrain the river went underground through this tiny hole (see pictures in link below), but the residents are highly sceptical as they have never witnessed anything like that ever (bearing in mind this river has flooded many times before).

For pictures (language is Slovenian): 24ur.com...

The first part of the official news story (from link above) translates as:

"On Tuesday night the river Iska vanished between the villages of Iska Vas and Strahomer."... (Now here comes the official explanation)... "Slovene Environment Agency statement says that the water is flowing into the underground chamber underneath the water bed. This is the way the river disappears and reappers later down stream.This time this characteristic of the river is stronger because of the damages to the river bed."

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
So 2km of a river disappears overnight, and the offical story is that it drained away through that small crack?! (See pictures in link in above post).

Bearing in mind that witnesses heard a huge bang, which one said sounded like a huge detonation.

Is it that this phenomena was caused by some new technology to control flooding? Or perhaps it was an earthquake without the tremor? What is particularly concerning is that this sort of event can be common before big earthquakes. In china a whole lake disappeared before a devastating earthquake.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
There is an english article about this:

Earth Changes and the Pole Shift

Disappeared River

This past weekend portions of Croatia and Slovenia experienced extensive rain and flooding. Many towns and villages were flooded, including parts of the capital city, Ljubljana. Four people were reported dead from the floods with various villages cut from the world due to landslides caused by water. Detachments of the national army had to be called in to help in some cases. In some parts the water has not receded yet and the economic damage is counted in the tens of millions.

However after the floods a different phenomenon occured: on tuesday night, residents of two villages near the river ISKA reported hearing rumbling and cracking noises and the next morning the riverbed was reported completely dry, with a deep chasm into which the river disappeared.

poleshift.ning.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   
That is pretty damn freaky! Maybe a meteor exploded above the ground?

I'm definitely not the person to ask about such things. I know that was the official explanation given for the Tunguska blast. Obviously any blast of this nature would have vaporised the water. It would be interesting to see if the fish left behind had been partially cooked, or flash boiled.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Hi, thanks for your interesting comments. It could have been a possible explnation. However, if you play the video on the slovene news link, you can see the fish still moving.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
It sounds like a natural gas build up in the water due to underground volcanic activity, if I remember correctly. I've heard of this type of thing before. The entire lake/river can sort of "burst" due to the gas build up drifting up through the floor of the lake/river, similar to opening a can of soft drink. I'll find some more info on the phenomena.

It's called a limnic eruption, however I'm not sure if it can happen with rivers.

edit on 24/9/10 by CHA0S because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
The rivers are drilled from beneath and then collapsed into an underground resevoir that is services the secure underground bases to be used by the select few in the upcoming doom. They have happeneed around the world in various places.

edit on 24-9-2010 by Pentothal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Pentothal

Now that's a theory sir. Star for thinking out of the box, that's what I like to see. Keep the "crazy" coming.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

OK- that's a possibility, but how does the river pick up again downstream?

There are no reported quakes nor are there major fault lines even close the the river.

Military testing of a fusion nuke in the dark of night is just as possible.

At any rate, I would be collecting gold nuggets before it fills back in.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I wish they had included pictures of where the water stops and starts again. I know of a stream where the water goes underground and then returns. The path of the water during flood stage is a dry creekbed, but it's kind of obvious what's happening in that case. There's a stream that ends in a still pool, a dry creekbed, and then a spring. That's not the case here?

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Thanks for your input, it's interesting food for thought. However, there is no nearby volcano. Anything else that you think might be causing it?

Originally posted by CHA0S
It sounds like a natural gas build up in the water due to underground volcanic activity, if I remember correctly. I've heard of this type of thing before. The entire lake/river can sort of "burst" due to the gas build up drifting up through the floor of the lake/river, similar to opening a can of soft drink. I'll find some more info on the phenomena.

It's called a limnic eruption, however I'm not sure if it can happen with rivers.

edit on 24/9/10 by CHA0S because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

That is the first thing that popped in my mind as reading this story too! My thought was I bet they were drilling their underground tunnels and something blew and now they have greatly flooded underground tunnels.
We have become true ATSers!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Interesting idea! May seem far fetched to some, but you just never know what might be going on down there! Thanks for posting

Originally posted by Pentothal
The rivers are drilled from beneath and then collapsed into an underground resevoir that is services the secure underground bases to be used by the select few in the upcoming doom. They have happeneed around the world in various places.

edit on 24-9-2010 by Pentothal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Thanks for your input. This river is a normal river, it is not a creek that has just drained after a flood. This river has always been there. It used to be a 31km long uninterrupted river, but now it has a 2km gap in the middle. As I was saying, this river has always been there, all Slovene's know this river and most certainly the local residents (where the river now no longer exists) remember the river as always being there. Don't forget this wouldn't make headlines on the country's main news channel if it was just a small creek that has drained after a flood. This is 2km of a normal river, that is normally flowing like the rest of the river, that has completely disappeared. It's a real mystery.

For those who doubt the local residents, you can always check out the river Iška (in Slovenia) on google earth or the like.

Originally posted by 23refugee
I wish they had included pictures of where the water stops and starts again. I know of a stream where the water goes underground and then returns. The path of the water during flood stage is a dry creekbed, but it's kind of obvious what's happening in that case. There's a stream that ends in a still pool, a dry creekbed, and then a spring. That's not the case here?

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
An interesting update: evidently seismographs detected a tremor (even though residents only heard the loud bang and did not feel anything). Would be interesting to hear your opinions on what might have caused this. Could it be that this phenomena is tectonic related, even though it is not located on or near any major fault lines? Or, could something artificial cause the tremor that showed on the seismograph?

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Scary about the nuke! Useful tip about the gold nuggets ;-)

(About the nuke idea: wouldn't the fish be dead on impact?)

Originally posted by Tribble

OK- that's a possibility, but how does the river pick up again downstream?

There are no reported quakes nor are there major fault lines even close the the river.

Military testing of a fusion nuke in the dark of night is just as possible.

At any rate, I would be collecting gold nuggets before it fills back in.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
With regards observations that the river bed looks very dry, like it has been dry for a while - well the photos were taken the next day. Although it has been sunny there since the recent floods, you wouldn't expect the area to be completely dry like that would you? Surely some small pools of water would remain in places? Makes it even more mysterious. What would suck 2km of a river so thoroughly that not even small puddles remain the day after the river vanished?

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I don't know if I would call this a river. It is more like a small creek at best.

Looks more like a small canal.

Pictures from here.by Tomaz B.

www.panoramio.com...

edit on 24-9-2010 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The river has finally eroded down into a subterranean cave. It now disappears into this and re-emergence 2km downstream. This is quite common in limestone areas though of course we rarely witness the initial event happening. After heavy rain, the volume of water means that some of it continues down the old river bed. Again, as is common in such situations.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Here are the details of the tremor detected by seisomographs that might be connected to this event in some way:

www.arso.gov.si...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join