It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Posthumous bravery award for crash death Leeds soldier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Posthumous bravery award for crash death Leeds soldier

www.bbc.co.uk

A Leeds soldier who carried on detecting land mines in Afghanistan despite being severely wounded is to be awarded a posthumous bravery medal.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   
This is not Alternative Breaking News, but I urge you, please read the news article.

This is the sign of a true HERO. This brave soldier, regardless of his own injuries and safety, continued to carry out his duty in order to protect his fallen and injured comrades.
How he met his end is tragic.

I salute him and condone his award. This is the mark of a hero.

Ross, I send my condolencies to your family and pray that your soul will rest in peace.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 24/9/2010 by TheLoneArcher because: Edited for further text

edit on 24/9/2010 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Struggling through this only to get hit by a damn Van in a road accident, that's really sad...

I agree, my heart goes out to the family. RIP

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoneArcher

That is so sad, - what a true hero.

I am so sorry and send my condolences to his family and I say to his family "You are so lucky to have known and loved this man."

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
He is not a hero in my book, he is a fool!

I do not support anybody that thinks it is good idea to join an institution to have the potential to kill another human being. It is the powers in the government that force people in to these positions and they are the ones that always sit on the sidelines. If everyone aknowledged this and refused to join the army life on earth would be a much better place.

Peace

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

I agree about the killing, fran,

But this man should be saluted for his heroism, at least.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Such heroic acts happen all of the time, every day. Each soldier who comes back in a box was a man worshipped by his family and it hurts that there isn't enough time to pay homage to each of them.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Soshh

Not all soldiers are heroic, however.

The death of soldiers is a tragedy and war is an abomination and a tragedy, as well has being something that powerful humans will never stop.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

I know, I didn't say that.

War is something that will never stop, it's the most natural thing in the world.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Obviously you have never served.
Regardless of the fact that he was a soldier, even you can understand the sacrifice this young man made in order to ensure the safety of others. If not, then your last word of your post "Peace" is a hollow gesture.

In my opinion, and yes I am ex-military, the highest aspiration any person can achieve is in the service of their fellows. Yes war is an abonimation, however, it has been with us from the beginning of civilisation and will remain with us until we are an extinct race.
It is true, you can object and refuse to join, however, this will never end the violence. We are by definition a hostile race.

I was not hailing Ross for the fact that he was a soldier. I call him a hero for his sacrifice for the sake of his fellow men. He was willing to forfit his life to save others. This is heroism.

If I was half the man he was, I could die content.

S&F Brethren All.

edit on 24/9/2010 by TheLoneArcher because: Additional text

new topics

top topics

join