It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First US woman in 5 years just executed a short while ago in Virginia.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Well, some more great news from the US.

A grandmother was executed tonight for plotting to murder two people.

The people who actually carried out the murder only got life.

To top it off she only had an IQ of 70 and the Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell refused to grant a stay after many people wanted it to be stopped.

Granny Executed

Teresa Lewis was given a lethal injection at 2am BST at the Greensville Correctional Centre in southern Virginia while supporters and relatives of the victims watched. Just outside the prison, a group opposed to the death penalty rang a bell and prayed as Lewis went to her death. She is the first woman in almost 100 years to be executed in Virginia.

edit on 023030p://f18Friday by L1U2C3I4F5E6R because: spelling

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I have followed this story for a while now. What a sad thing.

Although I do not condone murder I think life should be the punishment she got. Especially seeming that the shooters got life. And one apparently confessed to pushing the woman to help with the crime.

The US is no different to the countries it condemns sometimes.

I expect a lot of pro execution people to voice their approval but I can not.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Several minutes and no-one's posted. Maybe people are afraid they'll be abused for their opinions

Well, my take on this is --- If the murdered man had struggled up from the floor and shot the woman, she'd be dead

If police had arrived sooner, they may well have shot the woman dead

In cases such as this, other family members often shoot a killer dead

She'd passed the half-way mark in life anyway and would in any case have died within a few decades

She plotted and carried out the murder of someone who trusted her and who didn't see it coming and therefore had no defence to hand

The fact her accomplices were sentenced to lengthy imprisonment doesn't diminish the woman's crimes

She took a life and was compelled to pay with her own

Lastly, I'm not sorry she's dead. And frankly, death compared with 20 or more years in jail isn't a bad deal

She wasn't stoned to death by an angry mob

She wasn't murdered by members of her family in the same way she murdered another

Her death won't bring back the life she took

She was stupid and greedy and in the Natural world, these deficiencies would have caused her death a lot earlier than her fifth decade

It's over

edit on 24-9-2010 by Dock9 because: correction

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
hmm a touchy subject, the woman in question was manipulated to continue with the deal after firstly bouncing the idea off the actual murderer and she had learning disabilities, in my opinion she should of been sectioned for life without possible release other than into a civil penal system and the actual murderers placed onto the table, believe it or not people with learning disabilities do commit crimes, i know iv worked in secured units with section 37/41's and some should be kept locked up indefinitely even though they may have been manipulated as is easy to do, if they have a learning disability we take their liberty away and care for them if they commit a crime, if they do not have a learning disability then life or if the state wishes it death.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
There is an old saying... "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time".

Im sorry if her IQ is only 72ish, but she was smart enough to decide that her husband's life insurance policy was worth having him killed for. SHe was smart enough to leave the door unlocked knowing that 2 people would enter the home and kill her husband and his 25 year old son.

Sorry but I have no sympathy for this women. None at all. If you are smart enough to see the dollar signs and act on it, then your smart enough to suffer the consequences of your own actions, whatever they may be.

I do find it unfair that the people who pulled the trigger would get life, but it is what it is.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
it's kind of like the case of the women who Iran wants to stone....
the man in that case that killed the husband got something like 3 or 4 years...
and they want to stone her....
this lady didn't kill her husband either, someone did it for her....she got the death penalty...the actual killer or killers got life....

It's "Kill The Adulterers Season" In the World!!

the article I read says she was borderline retarded...
I have a son who I was told was borderline retarded...he is doing quite well in life.
I don't know this lady, maybe she wasn't doing well...
I just know the title in itself doesn't mean much....

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by L1U2C3I4F5E6R

I am sad, shocked, horrified and appalled.

This is the act of murderers - the ones who condemned and the ones who carried out.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
She left the door unlocked so some guy could come in killing a man and his son? They should have killed the hit men to but they should have put her in the chair on low power so she could cook and fry for just a bit....whiel jerking around like a gimp.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 07:15 AM
link   
So she had several affairs, slept with both killers arranged for one of the killers to sleep with her 16 year old daughter and had her husband and step son killed for insurance money. Doesn't sound to handicapped to me, sounds like she planned it out rather well. Let's not forget the other affairs she had as well as her own confession of living two seperate lives, I'd say that adds to the fact she knew what she was doing. She did it, got caught, and payed the price. Did the trigger men desrve death too.I'd say yes, however, it is what it is, and she payed for her crime?

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I think the issue here is more about the fact that she is a woman and not that she is a murderer... How many other MEN have been executed for the same type of crime and not a word is said...

Women have equal rights now no? Doesn't that also mean that they have equal responsibilities, and liabilities? You commit murder in a land which has capital punishment, then too bad for you, man or woman!

What if grandpa would have done this? Oh right! Granny is old and frail and does no harm other than sugar up the grand kids! Why is this even news?

Magnum

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
IMO premeditated murder is just as bad as pulling the trigger.

I watched a show the other night on WE about women on death row. These women did horrible, premeditated crimes and should get the same punishment as a man. Just because they are a mother or grandmother it doesn't mean anything. That man could have been a father or grandfather. You do the crime you do the time no matter what sex you are.

My opinion on death penalties varies. I don't think anyone should be killed but then again they murdered another person and that person didn't have a chance to live out their life so why should someone who murders? Why should they be allowed to live and have another chance when the person they killed doesn't have that option.

One of the women in the show I watched was in prison ONCE already for murder, she got four years! She was released and then killed again. She killed her gf infront of a police station. The woman was going there because she was scared and the psycho followed her and shot her in the stomach, she died days later. The woman who killed her was a career criminal, why did she only get 4 years to begin with for murder? If she had life in prison that other woman would still be alive. They actually met in prison and became lovers but the other one wanted to start her life over and tried but was killed. When she was at her clemency hearing she asked to able to live. Im sorry no sympathy there. Did she give the two people she killed a chance to live? No she didn't. The other woman on the show plotted her husbands murder and was sentenced to death, both these women were in Oklahoma and have since been executed. If you don't want to end up on death row don't kill people! How anyone can beg to be forgiven or for their life when they gave neither option to their victim amazes me. I understand that some yes over time have remorse but at that time it's too late.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Nobody really likes Bob McDonnel... I sure don't. Probably just showing of how "serious business" he is AGAIN. It isn't even super conservatism, it is just WTF antics gone awry.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
What difference does it make that the organizer of the heinous crime was a female?

That's the reaction of my wife, actually. She doesn't see how people are fighting for equality of genders and at the same time attach any significance to that murderer being a woman. Beats me, too.

It's common in the US that whoever issues a contract for killing gets a harsher punishment than the triggerman. It makes 100% sense to me, because the organizer does do the planning over an extended period of time, sometimes much longer than their business relationship with the paid killer.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It's much easier to kill someone when you can compartmentalize the actual killing. When you are able to disperse the responsibility of being the one responsible for taking someones life.
"I am not responsible. I'm just carrying out orders. My duty is only to strap down the convicts left leg, so don't blame me."

I think the governor (who can pardon someone or not) should be the one actually pulling the trigger. Face up to his/her own decisions. Not hide cowardly behind the system where everyone is able to live with themselves because no one has to morally and justifiably carry the responsibility of executing someone.

As long as this things are going on in this world, we will never get anywhere. As a race, as a civilization or as sentient beings.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
The problem here is one of the killers is serving life. He should be put down as well. I dont believe murderers should be ALLOWED life, they should all be executed after a FAIR appeals process. not after 20 years like in alot of other cases. Male or female. If someone murders someone else, that's that in my opinion. Like another person wisely pointed out, she wasn't stoned to death, she went to sleep. Its nothing compared to being shot by a shotgun.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The most terrible thing about this execution is that it was "humane" and it wasn't done publicly. The problem with our society today is that there are too many "bleeding hearts" who are sympathetic towards "inherently evil" people, that the lines between what is right and wrong becomes porous and fuzzy.

This woman was more than a sinner. She was an evil person that deserved to die for her deeds. Sure people make mistakes but to plan and carry out the killing of another human being is not a mistake.

top topics

join