It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stuxnet Computer Worm Targets Iranian Infrastructure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Stuxnet Computer Worm Targets Iranian Infrastructure

www.bbc.co.uk

One of the most sophisticated pieces of malware ever detected was probably targeting "high value" infrastructure in Iran, experts have told the BBC.

Stuxnet's complexity suggests it could only have been written by a "nation state", some researchers have claimed.

It is believed to be the first-known worm designed to target real-world infrastructure such as power stations, water plants and industrial units.

It was first detected in June and has been intensely studied ever since.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Now, the question would seem to be, was this created by CIA, NSA, MI5, Mossad, KGB/FSB, or any number of Government sponsored intelligence services.

It has been widely speculated that the first wave of an attack in the modern era would be a massive cyber attack against infrastructure.

I wonder if this is the beginning of the first salvo in some sort of effort to shut down their nuclear program?

I can't imagine that TPTB expected this to spread quickly if it was only spread through USB thumb drives, it's obviously designed to spread over time and take things down slowly.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
amazing ... it had to be made by one of these organizations

simply amazing ...

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

I don't think it's Russia. Maybe India or China?

But idk you know.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Sorry to correct you, but MI6 rather than MI5.

MI5 deals with domestic issues and MI6 with foreign.

They both come under the umbrella of SIS (Secret Intelligence Service)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I don't think that this was made by the Western powers to go after the Iranian Nuclear plant or industrial infrastucture. Why send something that could easily be used against the US or other western nations. Many in the US industry and private business aren't secured enough for a major Cyber Attack or a super worm that might have been made by the CIA or other western intelligence. The articles are just saying that it has to be aimed for Iran, and having IT people from the West looking at bits of the code and commenting on how sophisticated is just that them commenting on it. They may not know who put it out there. I agree with some that this was made by a nation state, but I also say to that it's a beta test to see how much damage and how far it can infect the industrial systems of a nation.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
This sorta offensive stuff needs to be banned, and kept purely defensive (just like biological and chemical warfare).
Mainly cos tech warfare shares the same “problems”:
I.e. Is relatively easy to do, incredibly cost effective, and therefore far more useful in the hands of our enermies, than the hands of our own side. That said, till someone stands up for what’s right (like before) technologies will be deployed, that we may regret for years afterwards.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Best bet this was put together by Israel - Israel, as a nation, is practically Silicon Vally II. Tons of high tech companies there now. It's a major part of their economy. They have the means, the reason to do it and we know they aren't shy about being proactive in such matters.

Alternately, it could be the U.S. or U.K. It's even possible that it's more than one nation working in concert.

Didn't Russia contribute to building some of Iran's nuclear infrastructure? It strikes me they might have been playing both sides with that - maybe they determined that Iran would build it soon enough with or without their help. So if they go in an help them build it, it would give them some pretty deep insights into the structure and design of their systems - maybe even total access. I honestly don't think Russia wants a nuclear Iran, they are way too close to their border. Help them build what they were going to build anyway and you can make sure it fails or doesn't work when you want it to. Or, you can design a perfect virus to destroy that system in particular...

All seem to be very likely possibilities to me.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Please add any comments to the existing thread found here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thread closed.

top topics

join