It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA: House Leaders Draw up new NASA reform BILL!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   

NASA: House Leaders Draw up new NASA reform BILL!!!

www.orlandosentinel.com

But on Thursday, the chair of the House science committee, Democrat U.S. Rep. Bart Gordon of Tennessee, introduced legislation that closely mirrors a compromise plan supported by the White House and passed by a key Senate committee in July. The Senate bill directs NASA to build a new spacecraft that one day could reach an asteroid while investing about $1.6 billion over three years in commercial rocket companies.
"This is a good, bipartisan, and fiscally responsible bill."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
How is investing 1.6 billion in the next three years in commercial rocket companies a good and fiscally responible?? Im sorry they might say we our out of a recession but if im not mistaken our deficit is still in the trillions right?! But I do understand we can not stop our space exploration, believe me I almost cried when I heard they were shutting down the NASA program until 2021..or 2025.. but is it really a good idea to commercialize it? Who has the money to take a joy ride into space?! And where would you go? We dont have a moon base or anything... what would we be orbiting in space for a week as a vacation?

www.orlandosentinel.com

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
As a resident of the Space Coast of Florida I believe this bill is a good thing, at least for my local economy. Post space shuttle layoffs are to begin next week with Discovery sitting on the pad awaiting the final space shuttle launch. Everyone around here is uncertain of what the future will hold for us but a big down swing in our local economy is certain. This bill will not halt the layoffs ahead but it does offer a glimmer of hope to the future of manned space flights out from Cape Canaveral.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarrGazer25

How is investing 1.6 billion in the next three years in commercial rocket companies a good and fiscally responible?? Im sorry they might say we our out of a recession but if im not mistaken our deficit is still in the trillions right?! But I do understand we can not stop our space exploration, believe me I almost cried when I heard they were shutting down the NASA program until 2021..or 2025.. but is it really a good idea to commercialize it? Who has the money to take a joy ride into space?! And where would you go? We dont have a moon base or anything... what would we be orbiting in space for a week as a vacation?

www.orlandosentinel.com

I totally agree with you. America's leaders should really think where the future will be for our country and our planet, it will be in space. Since we are gutting the old manufacturing styles from the US, why don't we start pushing our industry to the future. Like orbital manufacturing of advanced materials or R and D for better propulsion systems and/or attempts at colonization and exploration. Our planet is getting smaller and smaller, our leaders in the US think that who cares about the rest of the world as long as I'm able to go out and see my nice parks and nice rivers and room to move. But with more people you have more competition for resources (like food and clean/fresh water and industrial minerals and including mind you women (China has 200 million Batchelors and other countries have a more of a male majority than female)). We will be in wars for resources in the near future.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Reading the article makes you lose hope of a logical long-term space plan. Perhaps by intention...but why?
Why Utah for preference in site?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Granite
Reading the article makes you lose hope of a logical long-term space plan. Perhaps by intention...but why?
Why Utah for preference in site?

why do we need rockets
when we have UFO's???
Now u know why Utah

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Now other explaination than UFOs...
Here is a list of what was built in Los Angeles county:
99% of shuttle
99% of icbm's
99% of b2 bomber
99% of stealth fighter
huh...Utah?
All of infrastructure for launches is at Vanderberg AFB and Patrick AFB and Nasa Cape Canavral. Zero in Utah.

edit on 23-9-2010 by Granite because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
THE OCEAN!

Hello?

What is all this insanity about space being the most important thing? We know nothing about our oceans.

Where is logic? Where is reason?

Vanity - it's all vanity.

Resources - in space? What resources are YOU looking for? The earth provides for us food and shelter. What are you even thinking?

You want a nice vacation? Imagine the entire unexplored world of the ocean blue... instead of the incredibly predictable and visible solar system.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
It will take the ocean a few thousand years to recover from the rape of the past 200 years...hello back!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Granite
It will take the ocean a few thousand years to recover from the rape of the past 200 years...hello back!

Oh come on. As if anyone here knows what the ocean requires to keep itself healthy. No one does because NO ONE KNOWS THE OCEAN well enough.

We know the entirety of our universe more intimately than we know our own internal abyss, the ocean.

And we claim to know anything about it?

Space is full of allllllllll the same junk, if not more, as this planet. So... how has the ocean been "raped" (if we don't know what helps or harms the oceans, how can we know what the effects are?) and how has space been "raped" (seeing as how we know that by adding artificial satellites and so many other things into space, we are affecting entire worlds outside of our own without even beginning to understand the effects we're having on a universal scale - because we think not and assume much!)

new topics

top topics

join