Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Dostoevsky's "The Possessed"

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Anyone out there in ATS land read this book?

I just want to say that it is the most prophetic and disturbing novel that I have ever read, and I read them all. It's unbelievable to think that one man could have written such a thing and moreover had the testicles to show it to people - I myself would simply have assumed they would take me straight to the madhouse... but anyway.

This was the last of his novels I read after consuming The Brothers Karamazov four times. The Idiot twice. White Nights, A Ridiculous Man, Crime and Punishment, once. House of the Dead twice. Notes From Underground about 7 times. And half of the Gambler.

It being his most overtly political novel and tedious at the beginning is the reason I prolonged reading The Possessed until much later than the rest of his works.

In terms of immorality I found it to be eerily similar to Mailer's "Tough Guys Don't Dance", a little known book about psychopaths in New England. He was actually a lover of Dostoevsky so that could be the reason there.

Anyway, I didn't want to write some long-winded treatise analyzing the book in the Psychology forum. Just want to see if anyone else read it and enjoyed it as much as I do.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
haven't read any of the books you mentioned but will now.

'The psychopaths bible' is an unique read, a bit stupid...but unique...

-B.M

join