It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: LAPD Officer Caught on Video Beating Suspect

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpamBurger

Originally posted by ANOK
And education IS the answer, but who's education, the states? You really think the state wants to eradicate crime, look again. The jails are full of drug effenders yet drugs are sold openly a block away from a cop station and nothing is done. Cops stand and whatch a guy, knowing he was going to commit a crime, but wait till he does it before doing anything. Shouldn't they be preventing crime, not waiting for it to happen so they can get an arrest.

So, let me get this straight. You think something should be done because someone looks like they are about to do something illegal? I doubt you think that but that's what it sounded like from the above comment.

Unfortunately, for the poor kids born into bad homes, they are not taught to play by the rules. There is only so much that can be done though. If kids are taught to earn what they want and not to take it, the world would be a better place. These things can't be taught at school if they aren't demonstrated at home. By the time kids can make the decision for themselves it may be too late. Some people just shouldn't have kids. That's all there is to it.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by SpamBurger]

Sorry i should have given more details but I was short on time.
What I was refering to was a situation I witnesed where a guy was undoing his pants and was about to expose himself at a street party. Cops were standing close by talking amongst themselves, saying 'This guy is gonna expose himself lets wait till he does it so we can arrest him."...He exposed himself, crime commited, the victim saw him as he intended...
The cops new he was gonna do this, should they not have warned him if he does what he intends to do he would be commiting a crime and would be arrested. Did they consder the victim who had to witness this (colateral damage?...lol)...They were more intent on getting an arrest than saving the victim of a disgusting act.
Arn't cops supposed to prevent crime?

I totaly agree with you about the kids!!
There is no easy answer.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The police are not supposed to prevent crime! They are supposed to enforce the law. I see where you are coming from with your example but they really had no power to do anything until a law was broken. (I guess they could have warned the guy they would arrest him if he continued...)

My point is that I don't want to be harrassed / arrested because a single cop thinks I might commit a crime. That leads to profiling in the worst ways. It's not the job of the police to decide what you might do. The job is to get you in front of a judge and jury for what you have(or most likely have) done.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   
crime prevention is OUR job. neighborhood watches, community involvement, parenting, taking an active role in what goes on in your neighborhood.

in many cases in neighborhoods all over america, be they rich poor or in between, people hardly know who their neighbors are. they dont have a clue whats going in their neighborhood. cops can only enforce the law by arresting the criminal after they commit the crime in order to prevent the criminal from becoming one, you have to take an active role.

lots of criminals DO come from bad neighborhoods as well as broken homes. but they also come from the suburbs. i knew kids that were stealing cars left and right and nary a thing was done to them. no serious time. maybe a year or two and they're right back out there doing it all over again. i lived in such a neighborhood. it was a nice quiet suburb. middle class, nothing rich by any means but it was nice to live in. but some kids...those from broken homes, were commiting crimes, getting high, selling dope, stealing cars, drinking. you name it and they were doing it. kids in the suburbs, teenagers. not some kid from the inner city. i KNOW this is a problem that effects all walks of life and all kinds of neighborhoods. with those i personally knew their parents didnt know and didnt care what their kids were doing. one guy i knew had no mom and his dad was an alcholohic, living in the burbs and he was out stealing cars and getting stoned. his dad didnt seem to care as his dad never lifted a finger to spend any time with him.

if people care then people need to show it and act on it, not talk about it.

now as for this beating.

logically and reasonably thinking. i think the cop was in the wrong. i know his adrenaline was pumping and was probably angry as hell that this suspect was putting other innocent people's lives in danger all because he didnt want to take responsiblity for his own actions but this shouldnt excuse his behavior. this should be taken into consideration when this is reviewed but it shouldnt excuse him.

now on a more personal level....the little punk got what he deserved and IMO, didnt get enough it.

now its one thing if you get caught and get arrested. to me its another matter if you're running from the cops endangering other people's lives, not only did he deserve to get beaten, he should have been beaten harder and longer. fortunately while his wreckless behavior didnt injure anyone else this isnt always the case. innocent people have died from this and california is the car chase capitol of america if not the world. this happens on a daily basis.

while the cop was full of adrenaline and anger this might have been the umpteenth time he's been involved in a car chase and all those memories of all those chases (some of which might not have turned out so well as this one did) probably got the better of him.

now if it had been me i might have beat him until his head didnt resemble its original shape. i find it hard to muster ANY sympathy for people who endanger other people's lives just to try and then fail to get away from the cops. at least 90% of the time the criminal gets caught so statistically speaking the odds are against you for getting away. i dont know if these criminals have TV but cops has been on for a long time now...havent any them caught on to this painfully obvious fact that they're going to get caught???

IMO if you run from the cops like this, you not only deserve to have this happen to you it SHOULD happen to you, mercilessly. endangering other people, john and suzie Q public on the street, just so you can get away from the cops knowing you're going to get caught anyway?

sorry to say but if they dont care about other people lives and well being, why should we care about theirs? there is also the chance that he could have had a wreck and died. he doesnt care about himself obviously, well not enough to simply give up, accept what he did and make ammends for it.

i cant care about someone who doesnt want to care about themselves, you gotta love yourself and care about yourself enough to not even get into this type of situation let alone commit felonies. no remorse for what you do? then i have none for you.

this is just my personal opinion, while a part of me would love to see criminals like this get their just desserts with a night stick another part of me knows it wrong to do that and it is THAT part that i have to agree with here. what the cop did WAS wrong but i think we're all looking at this from the outside in, we might want to put into consideration what that cop has to go through. could any of us do that job? if so then we'd be doing it wouldnt we? its easy to sit back in our chairs and act as if the cop is a racist or a hot head. that guy might be a family man and otherwise is a really nice person for all we know. how would YOU feel if you had to deal with this over and over day after day, the public eye balling everything you do, looking and waiting for you to # up just once so they can scream for your blood and demand you be fired. its no wonder cops have a high suicide rate. its no wonder they do this from time to time. everyone demands perfection and refuses to give them a benefit of the doubt. this doesnt excuse his behavior but there is a context for the behavior that isnt being considered.

maybe he should be fired, or suspended or simply given a desk job away from the streets. but before we simply write him off and demand our pound of flesh lets do to him what many want done for the criminal, lets give him his due process before we presume him to be guilty.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by ThePrankMonkey]

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by tad6015
there should just be a law passed that says if you run...they can and will beat the crap outta you...

GOOD FOR THE COPS......

It would be even better if they'd beat the crap out of people who think like you.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Prank Monkey...I couldnt have said it better myself...I wish more people thought the same way...and did let mass media make decisions for them...

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 06:43 AM
link   
After reading all those replies I come to the conclusion that Americans favour Gestapo-style police forces and just a low percentage is educated enough to understand the full problem.

You guys are sick imho but it's your opinion and I respect it. I wish you all a gestapo for the USA so you have what you desire.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
try living in one of our major cities...youll change your mind...

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

What do you people think that means? I honestly don't understand how some of the same people who constantly rail against our National Government and the control they feel they have taken of their lives can then say they think cops should be allowed to beat people.

It is not for cops to decide what justice is. That is for society to determine. That is why juries are of your peers. That is why we have a legal system in the first place.

No, the type of law enforcement some of you seem to be advocating sounds like more like the way the Talaban or Saddam Hussain would do it.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by BasementAddix
try living in one of our major cities...youll change your mind...

I belief you that downtown LA and other major problem places in the USA would go better with such a force but by that you don't get rid of the problem, you just fight the aftereffect.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Society does not determine justice. Many times it is the decision of the judge, who can even overturn a jury verdict. And as for the jury of one's peers, that's not really true either, though it's how it is presented. I've watched jury selection and that's exactly what it is.... each side tries to stack the jury with people they think will benefit them and keep off people they think will benefit the other side. Then, no matter who ends up on the jury, there will be a lot of vital information that is kept out of the trial and they never even get to hear if one side wins their argument for why it shouldn't be presented. There is often nothing fair about the process from the time the person is arrested (with or without beatings) to the time the gavel drops on the final sentence.

So while things like "innocent until proven guilty" and "fair trial" -sound- good, it is not always what you get from the current terribly corrupt system. I think that the issue of police brutality has been addressed ad nauseum and that's why we saw one cop beating the hell out of this guy and 7 others not joining in rather than a free for all. However, the real focus of Justice System reform should not be aimed solely at cops but at the courts themselves. The court/justice system is much more important than whoever cuffs you and takes you into short-term custody.

No matter how you slice it, the cops can't whip up on people. There are reasons and explanations but nothing excuses it. With that said, people need to channel into the bigger problem of fixing where the real power lies and it ain't the whitehouse.

I recently personally witnessed a case where the judge based a lot of his decision on the fact that he did not like the defendant's attitude and to hell with the facts.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
The suspect committed a minor offence the cop blew his lid, maybe it was the cops car?

Allthough I don't agree with the cop beating the crap out of the guy, I will however disagree with you that this was a minor offense. Since when is grand theft auto and fleeing the police a minor offense? Or better yet, what does it take to be a major offense?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join