It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: LAPD Officer Caught on Video Beating Suspect

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
One of the things we learn from Shoo's story is: don't be of color in the US.

However, an interesting exercise is to substitute the nice guy, always helping out character with a not so nice guy, been in trouble with the police before character. Everything else stays the same.

Does this make you feel different about the "fictional" incident?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
"A lawyer and a fair trial".

I'm sorry, but that kinda makes me laugh. There can be no "fair trial" now that this incident has happened and been caught on video.

But let's assume for a moment that it wasn't. Let's assume that this guy put up his hands... FINALLY... and gave up, was cuffed, Mirandized and taken to jail. I'm willing to bet he has a rap sheet already and this is just his latest offense. So let's say he goes to jail and then gets a lawyer. He will mostly likely not do any appreciable time, will learn all kinds of new tricks in jail from more experienced criminals, and will come out ready to cause even more trouble because most are not rehabilitated. Who is the trial fair to? Not him, he will either get off with probation (and yes, I know from first hand experience because I know a few serious troublemakers who are running the streets right now instead of being out of the way) or he will do a little time and be even worse off. Fair to the community? He will be back out to do this or worse again in no time.

The system doesn't work for the cops, courts, criminals or communities. The problems need to be addressed at a social level for both the law breakers and the enforcers. Here's another case of somebody finally losing it and it will be blown way out of proportion. And I agree that the fact that the other cops tried to bring the situation under control won't be recognized, just like at Abu Ghraib. "The U.S. Military is out of control".... "The LAPD is out of control". Big brush painting, when the case really should be considered on its own particulars.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Is there some reason, so many people are violent-minded barbarians on ATS? "Nuke em all! He got what he deserved! We should beat them all!" *gags* Do you have any idea of the principles this country was founded on? Why are you so eager to turn us into the very kind of people you hate?

It seems like there's always someone to excuse any kind of horrid act here on ATS...

[edit on 6/24/2004 by Flinx]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
what is he implying exactly? that if this isnt handle HIS way that there will be riots? thats what they did the last time isnt it? go ahead, ruin a city and costs it and yourselves millions of dollars in damage. see what violence does for your city when you destroy it. burn down whole neighborhoods for all i care. i dont have to live there and i'm glad i dont.

just another reason to hope that a massive earthquake makes california slide right into the ocean.

You know there's people in California right?

And why did you choose to complain about blacks instead of commenting on the incident itself? You can't seriously expect people to just roll over and take it. As we've seen in the last few weeks with these beheadings, it makes people alot more frustrated and angry when they SEE something happening instead of hearing about it. Also, I don't think what that guy said means that there will be riots if a certain outcome is reached.

All I know is that I saw a cop run up and kick a subdued man in the head. NOTHING the suspect did can justifiy that. Just because you have a gun and a badge it doesn't mean you can do whatever you want.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:01 AM
link   
These posts cover a broad spectrum from those who think the police should act on the scene as judge, jury, and executioner (the police state mentality) to those who understand the proper role of law enforcement (identify, arrest, and detain suspects for charging, arraignment, and judicial / jury determination of guilt/innocence, and punishment if guilty). I wonder what the ratio is between those who favor a police state and those who understand the importance of and reasons for limiting the police to their proper role. The former seem to favor the police state only until they or one of their own is tried and punished on the spot in the street by someone with a badge whose qualifications don't rise above their position as a beat cop (no pun intended).

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Well..it looks like they haven't learned their lessons. Although I don't condone what the guy did...it certainly doesn't give the cops the right to beat the heck outta him. Just what we need in this country more crazed cops with a superior mentality but very little in the way of brains. They guy must have taken them away from their donut break!

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
..., guilty till proven innocent...

Its innocent till proven guilty, sorry couldnt hold me back in this one. But I can completely understand what you say, as a child I grew up in part of Bogot/Columbia that wasnt the best (it wasnt the worst either but there it can get peaty bad) part of tow and this in the time of narco-terrorism. Imagine one part of a population being stamped as a threat and treated likewise. Even as a small child I felt police oppression on my own body but thats an other story.

People ho think that police should play the judge and kick every ones a that runs away are either blood thirsty or very afraid o criminals. The first is a flaw in an character and the second is fear of the unpredictable/ bad guy behind you And like I said before fear and ignorance lead to violence and hate.

Remember our motto, DENY IGNORANCE (not embrace).

[edit on 24-6-2004 by TheDarkFlame]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The system sounds good on paper, in theory, but if you've ever had any dealings with it beyond a traffic ticket, or seen what people can be put through both fairly and unfairly, you'd see that maybe the reason so many are frustrated and angry is because the system does not work.

It does not work.

Corrupt officials from the beat cop to the Supreme Court make it impossible to trust the justice system just as corrupt politicians make it impossible to trust government. I don't condone beating a suspect, but it's going to happen when someone has finally had enough. Maybe this guy just doesn't go around beating up suspects. Maybe he's tired of seeing the same garbage he takes off the streets waltzing right back out onto the street with a slap on the wrist to lead another high speed chase. Maybe he's tired of busting the same dealers, same hookers, same criminals in general. Maybe he's tired of being on a first name basis with the people he's handcuffing because he takes them in over and over and they get out over and over. Does it justify the beating? No. Does it explain it? Possibly. The cop is guilty before anyone hears HIS side of the story, and suddenly this criminal is just a poor guy getting beaten up. I keep hearing Rodney King... please! After his problems, he was arrested for beating up his woman, so apparently learned NOTHING about being victimized. Not the best role model to hold up. Bottom line, the cops shouldn't be beating up controlled apprehended suspects. They shouldn't be beating up anyone, merely using whatever force is necessary to control them for arrest.

BUT....

Cops are human. I know there are many corrupt ones, but there are many good ones too, and they have to not only take s**t from the criminals, but from the community as well. The first ones cussed for a ticket and the first ones cussed for not showing up quicker to save our butts. They can't really win in many instances. So the guy blows a gasket. I'm not worried that one cop lost it. I'm encouraged that 7 others didn't join in to REALLY make it another Rodney King incident. The glass is half full if people would stop bi****ing long enough to see it.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Net Chicken has some excellent ideas on how to avoid the "should we beat them or not" question. It involves prevention at an early age, clear visual recognition of anti-norm individuals, and eventual reduction in the numbers of said individuals.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
You break the law, you pay? There are specific consequences for breaking the law and they don't include a beating by the local police.

"But who police the police when they
beat brothers to the ground like - everyday"-Paris

"To protect and to serve is a myth to us
They protect their s*** and serve sticks to us"-Paris

"To protect - they servin' us with sticks and shots
But who protect us from these murderous cops"-Paris

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone
The former seem to favor the police state only until they or one of their own is tried and punished on the spot in the street by someone with a badge whose qualifications don't rise above their position as a beat cop (no pun intended).

Yes, exactly. It's easy for them sit back and say "yeah beat that guy, he's just a criminal anyway" now. But I bet they'll be singing a different tune when a bunch of cops start wailing on them for no good reason.

Sorry, my idea of a free and just nation is not one where cops can get away with what I saw on that video. Actually....it's not the actions of the cops that piss me off so much as the reactions of people to it. Kicking people in the head is NOT NICE.

Maybe we need to replace human cops with robots. Cold, unfeeling, perfectly unbiased machines. I bet Robocop never kicked anyone in the head.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bangin

"But who police the police when they
beat brothers to the ground like - everyday"-Paris

"To protect and to serve is a myth to us
They protect their s*** and serve sticks to us"-Paris

"To protect - they servin' us with sticks and shots
But who protect us from these murderous cops"-Paris

Yeah, that's great. Treat me as an individual, but it's fine to generalize and stereotype cops.

The cop was excessive, but I have more of a problem with the criminal.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
Maybe we need to replace human cops with robots. Cold, unfeeling, perfectly unbiased machines. I bet Robocop never kicked anyone in the head.

Well a bit of topic but don't forget the 3 golden rules.
Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics

But hell robocop is preaty cool, until it starts running xp.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDarkFlame

Originally posted by Flinx

Well a bit of topic but don't forget the 3 golden rules.
Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics

But hell robocop is preaty cool, until it starts running xp.

Well if you've read I Robot or seen the previews for the movies, you know the goldern rules can be tampered with.

A robot cop obviously wouldn't have those rules programmed in. "He" would have to be able to harm a human. Nonlethaly of course, since there's no danger of a person hurting him. Of course if they become sentient they might actually start to fear for their own lives and act emotionally and irrationally (ie kicking someone in the head). Great, now we're back where we started...

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I don't care what the alledged criminal did. In this country you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

There is no excuse for a Cop beating a suspect in that way. A police officer is the only person in the country who is allowed to shoot you or take away your most important possession, which is your freedom. With this power comes the responsibility to use it fairly. Police should be held to a higher standard than normal citizens. If you as a cop are going to stand in judgement over the rest of us, then you have no business disregarding our civil rights just because you got a little pissed off.

If you can't hold your temper, don't be a police officer. I hope they throw away the key on that guy as a reminder to other potential stormtroopers out there.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
I don't care what the alledged criminal did. In this country you are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

There is no excuse for a Cop beating a suspect in that way. A police officer is the only person in the country who is allowed to shoot you or take away your most important possession, which is your freedom. With this power comes the responsibility to use it fairly. Police should be held to a higher standard than normal citizens. If you as a cop are going to stand in judgement over the rest of us, then you have no business disregarding our civil rights just because you got a little pissed off.

If you can't hold your temper, don't be a police officer. I hope they throw away the key on that guy as a reminder to other potential stormtroopers out there.

I agree completely.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpamBurger
I terribly disagree with what you said. I'm not sure how old you are or how much you have lived, but unless you drop the attitude that the odds are against you and you have no choice but to take what you have been 'given', I can tell you where you will be in 20 years. You say that you are in a poor neighborhood. The fact that you are on this board tells me you have access to a world of information. Take advantage of this resource for something other than to point out how life is unfair to 'poor uneducated' people. You can learn about anything you would like here. Not everyone who makes something of themselves was born into it. I was born into anything but a comfortable middle class home. However, myself, and my 2 younger brothers put ourselves through college and our family is much better off than a generation ago. Did I sit around and wait for someone to give me what I deserved? Not a minute! I decided that the only way to better myself was to use my own brain. It wasn't easy but no one held me down in the least. I will agree that the people need to be educated to change their lifestyle, but before they do that they need to WANT to be educated. Sometimes it won't happen.

And to have respect, you have to start with fear. No 2 year old behaves out of respect. It is out of fear, until they learn to realize they will be treated fairly, then it is respect. If the authority is not fair, then this is a different issue, but I don't buy that as an excuse.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by SpamBurger]

I wasn't saying you have to take what you're given I was just trying to point out that not everything is black and white, and where I live is not the reason for my view, I was just pointing out a fact...I did not grow up in this heighbourhood I moved here by choice (reason not relevant). For some ppl the odds really are against them but I wasn't talking about me personaly, I just see it everyday...
I agree not all ppl who grow up poor become criminals and not all succesfull ppl were "born into it". There's a lot more to it than just being poor, it starts with the parents, uncaring indiferent to their kids, more interested in thier own personel pleasure than teaching them to believe in themselves and to be self confident and be loved...Kids look for those things in other places, gangs drugs thrills etc...
And education IS the answer, but who's education, the states? You really think the state wants to eradicate crime, look again. The jails are full of drug effenders yet drugs are sold openly a block away from a cop station and nothing is done. Cops stand and whatch a guy, knowing he was going to commit a crime, but wait till he does it before doing anything. Shouldn't they be preventing crime, not waiting for it to happen so they can get an arrest.
And fear is a big part of it, fear is used to control and devide and does not ultimatly turn into respect. You're right our kids from a very young age are taught to fear those in authority not respect...
We have a tendency in this society to fix the symptoms and ignore the causes.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
After reading some of the posts on this thread, I am a little surprised. Violence solves nothing. Violence is ignorant. Deny Ignorance.

What do you hope to accomplish having cops beat people? You think it will lower criminal rates? No way. Giving cops the power to beat us....sounds a bit like Saddam and his regime? Is this what we're turning into? A dictatorship where the people are terrified of the government and the authorities? And I thought some of you people had intellegence...

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
insanity, there they go again taking out their anger from some crackhead just because they have problems at home. its great when they ge their filth on tape.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
And education IS the answer, but who's education, the states? You really think the state wants to eradicate crime, look again. The jails are full of drug effenders yet drugs are sold openly a block away from a cop station and nothing is done. Cops stand and whatch a guy, knowing he was going to commit a crime, but wait till he does it before doing anything. Shouldn't they be preventing crime, not waiting for it to happen so they can get an arrest.

So, let me get this straight. You think something should be done because someone looks like they are about to do something illegal? I doubt you think that but that's what it sounded like from the above comment.

Unfortunately, for the poor kids born into bad homes, they are not taught to play by the rules. There is only so much that can be done though. If kids are taught to earn what they want and not to take it, the world would be a better place. These things can't be taught at school if they aren't demonstrated at home. By the time kids can make the decision for themselves it may be too late. Some people just shouldn't have kids. That's all there is to it.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by SpamBurger]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join