It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: LAPD Officer Caught on Video Beating Suspect

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:
Q

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Human, yes. I'm not saying criminals should be treated like animals. I am saying that if this guy might've considered the beating he was going to get afterwards, he might not have stolen the car in the first place. Obviously, the thought of jail time didn't deter the man one iota!

Also...he didn't just "give up". That would have precluded the car chase, the foot chase...the chase in general. He only "gave up" when it became painfully obvious he wasn't getting away. That really doesn't count as "giving up" in my book.

The case comes to mind from several years back where some cops injured a guy when they jammed a lamp up his, ahem, backside. The cops were sent for sensisivity training. As the infinitely wise George Carlin pointed out(put this man on mount Rushmore, please!)--if you have to tell them not to sodomize someone with a lamp and a broomhandle, maybe they shouldn't have been given a badge in the first place!

That is police brutality...it is torture, and it is most certainly inhumane. An officer who beats the crap out of someone who pulls a stupid stunt like this guy did...well...that's different. Using these to incidents to compare is the best way I can show the difference between police brutality and police dispensing the immediate on-site whoopass we pay them to.

This guy will have his day in court, same as any other accused criminal. (Although in this case, I don't think there's much question of guilt.) Sadly, due to all the media exposure, I predict he'll get basically zilcho for his crime.
Again, not that the thought of jail time holds any apparent threat to the guy.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Q
How's this for constructive?

This fool got what he deserved.

Amen, Q.
Amen.

I saw the video of this non-incident.
It "appears" that one guy might have gone overboard.
Maybe.
It's hard to tell from that distance. Could anyone see if the guy appeared to be reaching for his pockets or his clothes? If he was trying to wiggle away? If he was trying to prevent his hands from being placed behind his back?
Any of those could account for the flashlight being used.

Then again, since no one really respects cops, maybe they should fear them. We'd all be a hell of a lot safer if that were the case.

Guess what?
You break the law, you pay for it.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:27 AM
link   
You freaking elliots, who said that beating prisoners will stop crime. It�ll get the guys stealing cars armed. If I knew that I may not survive the arrest, what the hell, I would shoot until they take me down. AND as for you in the suburbs, GET REAL, crime is not just a problem of the city and can not be kept isolated there either. Ohhhh yes there are criminals in the suburbs maybe not a car thief, but the kind police never catch. I'm talking about the father that beats his wife and children, the kids doing drugs, racism, the father that rape his daughters and there�s enough other crimes that happen in the suburbs(and in the city) and all thanks to the words "necessity crime" and all of the listed above are not of direct necessity. As for GTA is a necessity crime, or do you think the guy enjoys stealing cars? Beating a prisoner is wrong, beating anyone if not in self defence is wrong period, let the judge decide on his ass and may he rot in prison.

Violence can only create more violence
Peace out, Flame

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Ok, let�s make the police �beat you up� guys and see how much respect they get. Fear is not respect. And fear leads to violent actions. You need to build up trust in a pd and acts like these don�t help.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDarkFlame
Ok, let�s make the police �beat you up� guys and see how much respect they get. Fear is not respect. And fear leads to violent actions. You need to build up trust in a pd and acts like these don�t help.

Hey man, I don't break the law.
If I did, especially to the degree this guy did, I'd expect to get roughed.

Like I said, break the law - pay the price.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:39 AM
link   
And he will, in court with a fair trial and a lawyer.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by TheDarkFlame]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Respect? If criminals had any respect then they would not be criminals. Criminals need to FEAR the law.

This is coming from someone who had a car stolen at gunpoint in Pittsburgh. Criminals suck and people who baby criminals suck too.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Let the ones who abuse their authority reap the whirlwind.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I'm down with Anok. I think maybe too soon even the cats that are nestled comfortably in the illusions of Americana will find themselves under the thumb of a police state. There is NO reason for any cop at any time to apply any force above what is absolutely neccessary. Any more is a step toward oppression.:

[edit on 24-6-2004 by hooligan13]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Your a cop, youve been chasing a suspect, you know the news choppers are overhead....your cop buddy has the perp on the ground...you run up and start to wack him in the head?????

This cop is going down...from what ive seen, the suspect layed down himself awaiting arrest AND there was more than enough cops there to subdue him if indeed he was resisting...(hard to see from under the pile, but possible)

Understand that a cops job is not easy and usually they are dealing with scumbags.....i can see where adrenalin and too much zeal can get the best of a cop, but
This was pretty blantant abuse of a detainee

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Nothing is ever solved with violence, cops get more violent so the criminals get more violent, they run harder, they hate more, they become more dangerous...Reactionary violence does nothing but appease your imediate desire for revenge.
We will never ever eradicate crime when we live in a society of haves and have nots, racial and class profling...People (yes they r people) don't just wake up one day and decide to be a criminal (ok there are always exceptions), crime is generaly born out of peoples enviroment, poor uneducated people who buy into the consumer everybody can be what ever they want to be false promises taught in school. Then reality hits, your world is your oyster but your futures a clam. Not everybody is born into middle class comfortable Emerica...I live in a poor inner city neighbourhood and get hassled by cops just for being in this 'hood, imagine growing up with that, you'd run from em too...
It is not the cops job to punish or sentence, thats what courts are for, guilty till proven innocent.
There's a lot more to this than just some dumb criminal getting beat up by a frustrated cop. Another sign of a society gone wrong, that cares more about it's po$$esions than about a human being.

A lot of the replys in this thread leave me feeling very sorry for our future...

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
The suspect committed a minor offence the cop blew his lid,

Grand Larceny Auto and Running from the police arent minor offenses...Yes what the officer did was excessive...but if joe citizen beats someones they are charged with a misd. and usually get time serves and a fine...

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Once, in a fine country called USA, good old boy Michael was enjoying his free day, taking a trip to the local park. Michael is a nice boy, he never did anything wrong, he helps out in community services and is widely known as the nice guy, always offering a helping hand.

It was a nice, warm day and as he was walking in the park he heared a loud scream near him

Suddendly somebody passed him by running like a maniac, a murderer? A thief? Who knows.

The victim, an older woman who was out for a walk with her dog Chubby. The man tried to rob her bag but she managed to shoo him away by screaming loudly. But this bastard has beaten her several times for this!

A policeman approached her:
"What happened lady? Are you okay?"
"This...thief...he tried to rob my bag and has beaten me!
and he scared my little Chubby!"
"I saw him running away, I will try to catch him, stay here and wait!"

The policeman ran into the direction the thief escaped to. He remembered that the thief had a black shirt, white shoes and black skin.

Guess what our good friend Michael is wearing today? Exactly!
The policeman accidently thought Michael was our "wanna-be thief & granny beater"!
Michael was pushed to the ground, has no chance to ask what's going on. Cuffed and on the ground the policeman was yelling at him, "dirty little ***hole, I am gonna show you what we do with people that beat up helpless old women!!!".
One, two, three times Michael was hit by the cop. The cops knee hit his stomach and his fists did some serious damage to his head.

People watched the scene but they didn't care, the cop told them "He has beaten an helpless old woman". Maybe they were thinking: "Right, to do so with him then!"

Michael thought different. With a broken nose, several broken ribs and hematomas everywhere he came to hospital. Same day, other place.
A photo was shown to the old woman....she told the police that Michael wasn't the thief.

Our friend Michael had learned something important those days, I hope we all have.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The last time executive and judical powers have been combined, was back in the 30's and 40's in Germany. The so called Gestapo was allowed to hunt you like the police but they were allowed to use direct punishment which is fair from their point of view.
Like beating or just shooting you, or maybe your family.

Anyway I'd like to thank the people that told us about what happened beside what was covered by the media

- one cop overreacting...maybe his wife just left him or whatever, everybody has a bad day, no excuse but it's human.

EDITED: Changed Banshee to Michael. Did use her name by random as she had the only nickname I remembered of those, who weren't explicitly against the cops action. No bad feelings intended.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by shoo]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Class is an excuse. Now a days it is never the criminal�s own fault. The criminal is never responsible for his or her own actions or the consequences. It's "societies" fault now. Crime is something that happens in ever race and class (not just with the poor) because a percentage of human beings are just immoral, lazy and selfish. I grew up in a poor household and I worked my away up to a good life. I�m not going to let criminals steal what I have earned or threaten the people I care about. A criminal breaks into my house to threaten my family then they better be ready to get a shotgun blast to the gut. That is the fear that a criminal should know.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
We will never ever eradicate crime when we live in a society of haves and have nots, racial and class profling...People (yes they r people) don't just wake up one day and decide to be a criminal (ok there are always exceptions), crime is generaly born out of peoples enviroment, poor uneducated people who buy into the consumer everybody can be what ever they want to be false promises taught in school. Then reality hits, your world is your oyster but your futures a clam. Not everybody is born into middle class comfortable Emerica...I live in a poor inner city neighbourhood and get hassled by cops just for being in this 'hood, imagine growing up with that, you'd run from em too...
It is not the cops job to punish or sentence, thats what courts are for, guilty till proven innocent.
There's a lot more to this than just some dumb criminal getting beat up by a frustrated cop. Another sign of a society gone wrong, that cares more about it's po$$esions than about a human being.

I terribly disagree with what you said. I'm not sure how old you are or how much you have lived, but unless you drop the attitude that the odds are against you and you have no choice but to take what you have been 'given', I can tell you where you will be in 20 years. You say that you are in a poor neighborhood. The fact that you are on this board tells me you have access to a world of information. Take advantage of this resource for something other than to point out how life is unfair to 'poor uneducated' people. You can learn about anything you would like here. Not everyone who makes something of themselves was born into it. I was born into anything but a comfortable middle class home. However, myself, and my 2 younger brothers put ourselves through college and our family is much better off than a generation ago. Did I sit around and wait for someone to give me what I deserved? Not a minute! I decided that the only way to better myself was to use my own brain. It wasn't easy but no one held me down in the least. I will agree that the people need to be educated to change their lifestyle, but before they do that they need to WANT to be educated. Sometimes it won't happen.

And to have respect, you have to start with fear. No 2 year old behaves out of respect. It is out of fear, until they learn to realize they will be treated fairly, then it is respect. If the authority is not fair, then this is a different issue, but I don't buy that as an excuse.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by SpamBurger]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Shoo can i ask you a question? why are you using Banshee in your story?
Beside our Banshee is a female.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
Shoo can i ask you a question? why are you using Banshee in your story?
Beside our Banshee is a female.

That was a random choice, saw many supporters of the cops action in this thread.
And about she being female - it's a story to illustrate something and shouldn't picture something real. Hopefully some people understand it.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   
But really you shouldnt use members names they may find it offensive please do us a favour and use a substitute name like Mr X or something.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by drunk]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Shoo for editing your post back to topic Ladies and Gents

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
When did not caring about what the heck America is all about, become cool? Those prisoners who were not charge with a crime at Abu Gharib, 'had it coming'. Police suspects ' had it coming'. We'd better be very careful, because the next 'had it coming', might be coming for us.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join