It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: LAPD Officer Caught on Video Beating Suspect

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The fine officers of the LAPD have done it again and the act was caught on video. Today a suspect fleeing from police in a stolen car in the early morning of a warm Los Angeles day. The chase ended in the city of Compton. The suspect jumped out of the vehicle and ran on foot. Video shot from a helecopter captured the beating that followed and the images share many similarities with the the 1991 beating of Rodney King...

Full Report Link: CNN.com

Video shot from news helicopters shows the suspect running for a short distance before slowing to a stop, apparently opting to surrender to officers pursuing him on foot. The suspect appeared to raise both arms and drop to his knees. The first arriving officer drew his weapon, but put it back in his holster and then tackled the suspect, forcing him to the ground.

The second officer also jumps on the suspect, who is on the ground in a prone position, while a third officer arrives and appears to kick him in the head. This same officer then drops to the ground, takes out his flashlight and beats the suspect 11 times about the head area and also appears to use his knee to strike the suspect.The video shows other LAPD officers arriving on foot and surrounding the suspect, who remains motionless on the ground.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I thought the LAPD has been through intensive training to avoid these type incidents. But it would seem that little has changed.

We can only hope that this issue does not end the same as the case of Rodney King that resulted in the worst riots in LA history.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   
No, not the LAPD. Can't be. These guys will never stop. Trying to see who's worse, NYPD or LAPD. What's your guess?!

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I saw this Live and he was beating the crap out of the guy after he had visably given up and was on the ground. I could see nothing that justified it at all but it was a helicopter view so more could have been going on that wasn't observed at that distance.

Looks bad for the cop though. You could clearly see the anger in his frame and actions. Body Language says a lot and I think he had lost his temper. That is no excuse though and if it truely is like it looks, I hope they put him away for a while.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
The suspect committed a minor offence the cop blew his lid, maybe it was the cops car?

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I saw the incident live this morning on the TV, and I don't see how this one officer can hope to get away with this abuse.

The suspect appears to surrender and starts to raise his arms and gets tackled by an officer forcing the suspect face down. This part is ok.

At least 4 other officers are on the scene immediately,with 2 of them trying to control the lower body, no beating here just restraint, this is ok also.

The officer in question, brandishes his flashlight, goes for the suspects head repeatedly hitting the suspect with the flashlight, also throwing in some knees to the head and neck area.

At this time it appears there are in the neighborhood of 8 total police officers on the scene. With 2 just standing close but looking confident the scene is in control, but the attacking officer still is kneeing the suspect a few more times.

At this point one of the other officers appears to be trying to calm the attacking officer down by grabbing him and taking him away from the subject and talking to him while grabbing his shoulders as if to say "Hey you need to get under control here, etc."

You would have to see the whole video to catch that part of the arrest.

I hope that the networks pick up on this part of the arrest , so far I keep seeing only the beginning of the video while the officer is still using the flashlight.

In this incident it appears to me we have 1 really angry officer losing control while the rest are doing their job the right way.

You know what they say "one bad apple"

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
i LOVE this remark...

"Unless some heads roll, we will return to some dark, bad, old days of the LAPD," Los Angeles Urban League President John Mack said.

what is he implying exactly? that if this isnt handle HIS way that there will be riots? thats what they did the last time isnt it? go ahead, ruin a city and costs it and yourselves millions of dollars in damage. see what violence does for your city when you destroy it. burn down whole neighborhoods for all i care. i dont have to live there and i'm glad i dont.

just another reason to hope that a massive earthquake makes california slide right into the ocean.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
there should just be a law passed that says if you run...they can and will beat the crap outta you...

GOOD FOR THE COPS......

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
"Can't We all Just Get Along"
Oh those infamous words are coming back to me

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I hope that the networks pick up on this part of the arrest , so far I keep seeing only the beginning of the video while the officer is still using the flashlight.

sadly this is ALL you're going to see. the media loves to do this. present the worst most snesational part of any video they get their hands on and then make entire police departments look like jack booted thugs.

they will NEVER show the part you're refering to. they wont show the part where other cops are trying to get him to get it under control and get him away from the suspect. its not sensational enough for the media. it doesnt portray cops in a bad light. the media knows people wont care about that, they'll only see "cop beating suspect" and thats all people need anymore, a blurb. it seems "the full story" is too long for anyone to read anymore and far be it from the media to rpesent the full story any longer. ratings and money is what its all about for the media outlets. the more sensational they make it look the more viewers and advertisers they get. that means more money for them.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Oh don't worry about the cop. He will get awaywith it. I repeat, he will get away with it.

LAPD is an occupying army in the city (see below). Just because you sprinkle a couple of uncle toms and tio pepes into the stormtropers, it doesn't place the LAPD and the community on the same side in the fight against crime.

In Los Angeles there are the honest citizens, the criminals, and the cops. The criminals victimize the honest citizens, and the cops beat everyone.

This is a systemic issue that will plague the city, I dare say, forever. But who really cares. It only affects people who don't matter. Just make sure the Jihadist don't get a hold of the disenfranchised.

www.pbs.org...
www.etext.org...

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
That being said, I will still pay any high school graduate, who wants to deal with the results of our inner city policies, what ever they want to put on a badge, stap on a gun, and ensure that it stays in the inner city.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
And not more than one or two weeks ago i read in the LA Times about the LA PD wanting to get out from under the thumb of the Federal Gov,put there from the last video taped beating. Clearly, nothing has changed, except they look more carefully for video camera's-usually.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Yep I watched it over coffe this morning and well that cop needs to flip burgers after a few years in jail. The guy had obviously given up and I can testify to that as I watched it live. BAD COP PERIOD.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by tad6015
there should just be a law passed that says if you run...they can and will beat the crap outta you...

GOOD FOR THE COPS......

What an ignorant statement. Its not the cops place to decide your punishment. They should only do what they can to take you to jail...the punishment is decided by the jury and the judge. If you shoot them, yes, they should shoot back. If you assault them, they should be able to defend themselves. But thats about it. And there already is a punishment for resisting arrest. More years in prison.

posted on Jun, 23 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by tad6015

GOOD FOR THE COPS......

This was a silly thing to say wasnt it? if you have nothing consrtuctive to say then please dont say anything.

Q

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 02:25 AM
link   
How's this for constructive?

This fool got what he deserved.

How many lives did this idiot endanger in his evasion? Would you have so much sympathy for this 'poor victim' if he had run down a vanload of children in his haste to escape capture? This nobel-prize winner decides to steal a car (felony!), lead the cops on a chase, ditched the car, ran until he couldn't run anymore, realized he couldn't ourtun the chopper overhead, and then decided to give up.

And all anyone can focus on is the fact that the cops kicked the s___ out of the guy when they caught up to him? Sounds to me like there's some mixed-up priorities going on here. Personally, if someone steals my car and pulls a stunt like that, I want the police to beat him senseless when they catch him. Firstly, for stealing my car. Secondly, for endangering everyone in proximity to the chase. Thirdly, for still trying to run after the gig is quite obviously "up".

I'm for this proposed law(proposed by me, of course!)--if someone commits a felony (and by this, I mean an obvious, undeniable carjacking, bank robbery, etc), resists/evades arrest, and refuses to stop when ordered by the police--take them down. Not necessarily a killing shot, a limb wound would suffice (although shots do stray...). How many people do you think it would take eating hot lead before others decided that maybe, just maybe, this sort of behavior is a bad idea?

The cops are there to stop the people who would steal your car, or catch them if they can. They do this of their own will--a cop's pay is hardly worth the crap they have to put up with. Let them do their job. They are the only thing standing between you and the low-lifes who would rather kill you and take your stuff rather than work for their own. (Other than crimes of passion and serial killing, this is basically what most crime boils down to at it's simplest.)

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I think this cops actions were dumb but honestly I am really tired of criminals in the USA. Maybe if we could beat criminals a little more then they would stop committing crimes. Sorry, but I have no love for crime or the people that commit them. I think if you don't want to be beaten by cops then don't steal some poor persons car and drive crazy all over the roads.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by zerotime]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 02:36 AM
link   
"The policeman on patrol has got inside our heads and his attitudes continue to be reinforced by the values of a police-loving society." Class War, from 'No Justice, Just Us' 1997

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Q> fair enough but the police are there to up hold the law and to be fair the guy gave up and the cops still beat him after all the victim is human is he not?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Im glad that they gave him the asswhooping of a lifetime. If I was the cop i would have put my flashlight away and used my club. A flashlight is just not painfull enough. I am glad the cops seriously injured him for disturbing their coffee break. Then I would have called for backup just in case, so I could have extra clubs in case mine broke. After that I would pay his mother a visit and probably beat her ass too for not teaching him some morals and then bill her the cost of gas in the chase.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by TACHYON]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join