It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waverly Hills Sanatorium

page: 1

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5ac02a87126b.jpg[/atsimg]

I decided to write an extensive thread on this place because of all the activity and history surrounding it, and it being the number one haunted place Ive always wanted to visit.

Waverly Hills is located in Louisville, Kentucky. Though it was originally built to hold only 50 tuberculosis patients, an outbreak of the disease spread across Jefferson County and prompted them to build a bigger facility. The hospital was known as the best to treat the disease, but at the time the procedures were still very primitive and painful.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5faf0163e701.jpg[/atsimg]

Some of the procedures that were used to treat this disease was removing organs, lobotomy's, collapsing lungs,and using illegal and experimental drugs. All of which were very painful and im sure hard for the patients to go through. The disease would eventually take a hold of the patients mind and cause them to go crazy.

From 1962 till 1981, the building was used as a geriatrics hospital, but was closed because of patient abuse.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4e2038b7c003.jpg[/atsimg]

More than 6,000 patients died during the time Waverly Hills was open. And there are some legends that claim the number is much higher....around 63,000. The most deaths in one year for the hospital according to the records was 152. Of course no matter what the number, with so many deaths and suffering that happened inside the hospital, its bound to have its ghosts.

Room 502

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/99c4bc11d7d9.jpg[/atsimg]

One of the most well known stories from Waverly Hills, comes from Room 502. Legend has it that in 1928, a nurse by the name Mary Hillenburg hung herself in the doorway after discovering she was pregnant out of wedlock. Now this is 1928, so being pregnant and not married was extremely looked down upon. Another twist to the story says that she got pregnant by a doctor that was also working at the hospital, who was married. So the story goes that the doctor attempted an abortion on Mary and something went wrong and she died. To ensure he didnt get in trouble for this, he apparently made it look like she had hung herself, but hanging her dead body in the doorway. And another nurse supposedly committed suicide by jumping out the window of room 502. People have attempted to find documents of this happening, but havent found any. Though paranormal investigators always report activity in and around the room.

Below is an EVP captured outside room 502. When they asked if it ever got lonely, you can hear a faint "Yes" at the 5 second mark.

The Little Girl on the 3rd floor.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/03b02f1dfcb6.jpg[/atsimg]

There has also been reports of a little girl on the 3rd floor. Some say she plays with a ball, while other people say they just hear a ball bouncing around in the hallway. Some people have seen the girl looking out the window from the outside, on the 3rd floor. A man also said that when he was there, he saw a little girl who didnt seem normal, and she kept saying she had no eyes, so he never went back in the building again. Cant blame him for that one.

Old Lady in Chains

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5b726f73163d.jpg[/atsimg]

In the main entrance of the hospital, investigators say they have saw an old lady in chains, running out from the front door screaming for help and blood dripping from her wrists. Those who have seen her think she may be the ghost of one of the residents who was treated badly when the building was used for a short time as a geriatric facility, and the blood from the wrists was because of the chains bound on her arms too tight.

Little Boy Timmy

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2ced1dbcc9b5.jpg[/atsimg]

Another pretty well known story from Waverly is of a little boy named Timmy. He was a patient there who liked to roll his ball down the hallway, and when he died those who visited often said they seen a ball rolling down the hallway on its own. Paranormal investigators usually bring a ball with them when they go to waverly to try and get the ghostly boy to play with it, and have often caught on camera a shadow and the ball rolling on its own.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/23a6d570846a.jpg[/atsimg]

And here is a very cool video of a ball actually being played with. Investigators went in and brought a ball to see if they could get timmy to roll it a bit, so here ya go!

And another, where a ball was thrown.

The Children On The Roof

When the building was being used to treat tuberculous, they often had the children lay in the beds or play on the roof so the sunshine and fresh air would help treat there disease. There are some old photographs that show children on the roof with nurses. Investigators say they hear chanting of nursery rhymes and children's voices playing.

I found this video below of what appears to be two children.

4th Floor

The 4th floor is known to be the most active floors in the hospital. Some claim to see a man dressed in a white medical uniform, doors slamming shut on there own, objects being thrown at them, and shadows of people in the doorways and on the walls. Some even say that while visiting they got hit by somebody, but nobody was around.

Interesting video here, right at the 4 second mark when she takes the camera and goes to point it downstairs, you can see a shadow of someone quickly leaving at the end of the stairs.

Some thermal imaging from TAPS:

The Body Chute / Death Tunnel

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fc65d44a3f4b.jpg[/atsimg]

And now, the most creepy place in there in my opinion, is the Death Tunnel. A tunnel was built going from the main floor to the bottom of the hill near the train station. Originally used so doctors could use the steps to safely get up the hill to the hospital, and a rail cart was built alongside it to easily bring supplies to the hospital, and the fresh air it offered. But when death rates skyrocketed, it was used so doctors could transport the dead bodies out the hospital so the patients would not see so many being taken out the building, that way they wouldn't become depressed and have low morale and lose the will to live. It isn't hard to see why the Death Tunnel would be one of the most haunted places in the building, with people hearing voices and seeing apparitions.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7b4e712657bf.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1b4a7eee252a.jpg[/atsimg]

Heres a video of a group trip through the tunnel:

Other Findings:

Woman in the background. Look closely at the original, and then look at the closeup underneath:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/78c1ef51d002.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d972c5ba77f3.jpg[/atsimg]

And heres a documentary. I really suggest watching this, it has personal accounts, old video from Waverly, and even a living couple who stayed at Waverly for treatment back in the day!

So there you have it! I really suggest doing your own research also because theres so many more videos and personal stories floating around on the web, its really an interesting place.

ghosthauntings.org...
hubpages.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
www.ghouli.org...
paranormal.lovetoknow.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the great collection of files & information. I have friends that have spend the night there and collected their own 'evidence'. From what they have told me the place is interesting and active. I've had my own experiences with the paranormal, but I am really skeptical of what others tell me is evidence. I guess I just have to live it for myself! I hope to go with them next spring, if they make another visit.

I am joining them this weekend for an over night trip to Old Pittsburg Hospital, outside of Chattanooga, TN. I've heard conflicting reports on if it is active or not. I guess I will find out in a few days!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

Awesome thread Jess!

I've always found Waverly Hills Sanatorium pretty creepy. I loved the TAPS episodes when they went there to investigate. The first time was great, especially with the figure they captured running into a room from the hallway. that gives me chills! I'd love to go there but definitely not on my own! LOL!

S&F4U

IRM

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Thanks for replying guys! Ever since I found out about this place a few years ago Ive been fascinated by it! So I was bored and decided to do a thread. Theres no much evidence from this place its crazy. I would love to go there but definitely not spend the night.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Hey Jess,

Nice thread. You did a good job of summing Waverly Hills up with photos and vids. I'll keep checking back to see how it progresses.

R

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Wow, great thread.

Very creepy!

How did you first hear about this place?

When I win the lottery I am going there! Hahaha yeah bad times, when every other sentece begins with "When I win the lottery."

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't like to stay there!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Wow! Thanks for that thread!
I'd love to go there someday for an adventure! One day...it's far! lol
I'm in New York and lately I've been dying to go to Gettysburg PA. I believe it's really active and I definitely have a chance seeing something! It's about 3 hours from me so I can totally start there!
S&F!!

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Very impressive thread. I would love to go there. I have been obsessed with the Winchester Mansion for years but I have to say this place is way more creepy and its alot closer to me so I might very well have a new obsession.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Waverly Hills has always been a favourite of mine as well. Thanks for the awesome thread. Very cool indeed.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Hey Jess,

the 14th picture, has "sci - fi" logo down the bottom right. When I saw the purple ball in another picture, I remembered seeing that show(forget the name). I think those guys are about as authentic as Chris Angel; stage magician and universal BS artist. That "woman in the background" could well be a cross dressing bloke too...
Anyway, that's my 2c, I just wanted to say I think those "investigators" are full of it.. the other pictures i don't know yet.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Inkrinhuminge

I do agree with ya on that one. Some of those paranormal shows are a bit staged, and some of those pictures could very well be explained. There was some other really good ghost photos I saw awhile back but couldnt find the website that had them =[

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I'm a bit of a skeptic, believing most supposed paranormal events can be explained by overactive imaginations,
but I do believe a place like Waverly Hills has such a negative or 'sad' energy, that there could well be
spirits or entities hanging out there. Thousands of people died horrible deaths there.

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Hi all

Great thread and brilliant report , good to see that you put the Waverly hills video from the booth Brothers up there as well , that is very interesting documentary that they made about it , it remains one of my all time favourite locations that i would like to visit.

Thanks for that .

edit on 28-9-2010 by 1972ian because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
That was some cool video. I'v wanted to go there for a while, now I have to go.I would love to stay there all night. Great thread.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
definately very cool place

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
definately very cool place

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
In the photograph just underneath the write up about Timmy it looks like there may be something in the first door on the left, the two dorways after the yellow box and one straight ahead in the background. It may just be the quality and clarity of the picture.

Great work! Thank you!!

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I've been there more than once actually, I live fairly close.
I was lucky enough to have a friend that worked security there for a bit. We got unrestricted access at night once, just a few friends and one of the guards.

For the record: I never saw anything inside. However I will tell you when we went it was the dead of August and it was hot as hell and sticky. The entire building has no windows (they've all been knocked out) and I distinctly remember a few rooms being at least 20 degrees cooler.. enough to start a small chill. It's a really weird feeling to feel that cold and be able to look straight out where the window was.

I dont know if the place is haunted but it definitely doesn't feel normal. I won't go back

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I grew up in hat area and spent many a night in and around he hospital. We did what any teen did and had many a "party" experience there.It sat vacant from about 81 up until about 10 years ago. It was the home to bats, rats possums, racoons and lots of birds. It has always been full of strange noises as it is a very large building with many rooms. We always dismissed the noises off as animals, or other people, as often or not here where more than one group around.

It has a new owner that is trying to restore it and turn it into a bed and breakfast. During the fall i is used for a "Haunted House" promoted by he owners. Many of he windows have now been replaced and some exterior work has been done. I don't know what has been done inside.

One thing of note, a man was found dead in the elevator shaft. He was apparently homeless. His body had been here a long time before he was found. I do not think he was ever id'ed.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

join