It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK gay, lesbian and bisexual population revealed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   

UK gay, lesbian and bisexual population revealed

www.bbc.co.uk

Almost three quarters of a million UK adults say they are gay, lesbian or bisexual - equivalent to 1.5% of the population, a survey suggests.

The Office for National Statistics says 480,000 (1%) consider themselves gay or lesbian, and 245,000 (0.5%) bisexual.

London has the highest numbers polled and Northern Ireland the lowest.

The ONS received 450,000 responses in its new Integrated Household Survey (IHS) - the biggest pool of UK social data after the Census.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Well, isn't THIS interesting?

That's 1.5% of the British population that the main religious establishments hate. 1.5% of the population that many right-wing Daily Hate-Mail readers would like to see the back of. 1.5% of the population that supposedly don't 'fit' into traditional British values.

I wonder what our resident religious hypocrites and right-wing nutters will make of this? After all, we in the UK are a DIVERSE, TOLERANT and ACCEPTING nation are we not?

Let the hating begin.

Parallex.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

London has the highest numbers polled

Southern fairies!

I don't think as many people hate homosexuals as you believe, they are definitely not my cup of tea in the sense that I don't agree with their sexuality or what they engage in but the majority of people are happy enough as long as they keep their business to themselves.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
I wonder what our resident religious hypocrites and right-wing nutters will make of this? After all, we in the UK are a DIVERSE, TOLERANT and ACCEPTING nation are we not?

Let the hating begin.

I've been in the rain(england) a few years ago, nice place!

But it seems you want hate to stem from this thread.
Let the hating begin?

Aren't you perhaps enciting animosity before any sign of it even occurs?

In any case i'm sure it's above 1.5%

I am a conservative by the way, and no hating from my side
sorry to dissapoint

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I'm pretty sure it's over 1.5% as well - there will be people who for whatever reason didn't want to be this open about their sexuality.

On the other hand, I don't really care about someones bedroom preferences - if they're a nice person that's all that matters to me, and if they're not their sexuality doesn't make any difference.

On a more anecdotal note, I was doing some volunteer work at a local arts centre, and the lesbian comedian Sue Peerkins was doing a gig there - I was gobsmacked by the number of lesbians who gave me dirty looks are gave me grief simply because I happen to be a bloke.
Acceptance works both ways.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Something similar once happened to me, I was once at some building with many rooms teaching/talking about different stuff, and I was going there for a class on watercolor painting(wife was forcing me to expand horizons) and I ended up in the wrong class, but there was food, so I kinda ended up helping myself because the watermelon just looked so juicy.

Then I looked behind me and there was a roundtable of lesbians...all giving me the evil eye. I swear knives were being shot from their eyes at me, then I realized where I was because of a sign on the wall. So I thought I should make angry people angrier and I just sat down in their roundtable and some of them, their heads started to steam like a kettle.

And I told them something like this "hey did you guys see that simpsons episode where there were a bunch of feminist activists rallying female rights and a construction crew happened to be in the area, then one of the counstruction workers opened up a beer bottled and it all fizzed on the activists and their clothes and picket signs all turned into bikinis and everyone became hot women"

hahaha, that was a day to remember!!!!

But yes I do agree, it does go both ways!
I believe some of them aren't born lesbian but scorned women.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Sorry, but who cares how many people are of a different sexuality?

Why make such a fuss? I've never understood the hatred towards people who are different. If it's not your "thing" then stop worrying, they aren't making it compulsory! If it is your "thing" then relax and try to thrive and survive like the rest of us! If you're unsure, then you've the best of both worlds, and see how it works out for you!

But for the love of (insert deity/belief system of choice) stop fretting about it and get on with your lives!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
You guys are fine - it's all about whatever floats your boat at the end of the day.

I just get fed up of the right-wing gay-bashing that goes on here at ATS. It's nice to see that some proper demographic based research has been done to establish facts and genuine figures.

Now let's get some research like this going on in other areas.

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I find it hard to believe that is an accurate document
what percentage of the people surveyed responded as gay or lesbian would be acceptable, I find it doubtful they surveyed the entire population of the UK.
and I bet .05% were closet cases in an anonymous survey as well

edit on 23-9-2010 by GummB because: spelling

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Thought it would be higher than that.

But really, who cares?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Sounds like a small minority,although there are probably more I guess.
If the 1.5% figure is accurate-are there any other groups of folks of a similar percentage who have a whole set of laws and education programs set up just to protect them?

Now that may sound as though I am prejudiced against homosexuals-I ain't really,its just I am not sure I would want a small child of mine being taught about such matters in schools.

Nor do I think its fair for someone to get locked up just for voicing their own opinion,if that opinion happens to differ with the state.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
quick question

why does everyone say who cares but doesn't say who cares if it's a census?

if it's population demographics, or nationality census or different age groups that buy a specific product... how come nobody says who cares in those cases?

Is it just to be politically correct even though you wouldn't be politically incorrect if you actually didn't say that?

I mean.... what's wrong with everyone?

We want people to be more tolerant and accept people with different lifestyles but oh oh we can't talk about it though!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
That can't be right, there are loads more surely.

gays seem to be everywhere these days....

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I genuinely don't care, although I am surprised at only 1.5%

If the survey said 5% of people had ginger hair, I still wouldn't care.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Of course we can talk about why what two, or more, consenting adults get up to behind closed doors is of absolutely no care or concern to me whatsoever.

Do you want me to talk about my suprise that this survey suggests that gay, lesbian and bisexual's only make up 1.5% of the UK population or gay,lesbian and bisexual issues in general?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Now that we've all stated that we don't care - why is it that we care when homosexuals kiss in public, or perhaps when sitting next to them on the bus, or perhaps when they adopt a child?

Does being gay make people any less capable or deserving of freedom to do normal human things?

Parallex.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
or perhaps when they adopt a child?

That's a COMPLETELY different topic!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
That's not the Only thing in Merry Ol' England going Poof.........

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Parallex

I don't particularly like seeing hetrosexuals having a full on snog in public, a peck on the cheek is ok in my book.
Sorry, just the way I am.
Man and the bible belt and all that maybe, I don't know.

Sat next to a few gay people on various modes of transport, can't say I've ever been particularly bothered.
I've sat next to one or two odious hetrosexuals over the years and really wanted to kick the crap out of them though!

Adoption?
I know some people don't like the idea but as long as the prospective parents meet all the required criteria I don't think it is really a problem.

I know some lesbian couples who have children and it can be difficultfor the child at times, suppose that's where parenting come's in.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Same here - it's not that I'm a prude, I'm just not into the whole public displays of affection/foreplay thing.

I don't have a problem with it as such, it's just "not me" if you know what I mean...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join