It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus >A< Son of God, Not >The< Son of God

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I was made aware that the King James Bible version has a translation that reads:

Matthew 27:43 He trusted in God; let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.

The word "The" is italisized, not for emphasis, but because the translator chose this as a personal preference. However I was made aware that the original greek word is more correctly translated as "A".

So it should read "I Am A Son of God". This does, imo, make more sense when you factor in the following:

John 10:34 Jesus answered them, "Is it not written in your Law, 'I have said you are gods'

Here Jesus refers to Psalms 82:6 "I said, 'You are "gods"; you are all sons of the Most High.'

It seems to me that Jesus is not the only son/daughter of God, rather one of many, and the road to this realization lies within.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by scratchmane

According to Paul, we are sons because Jesus is "his Son";
"God sent forth his son, born of woman...to redeem those who are under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying "Abba, Father""- Galatians ch4 vv4-6
So Paul's account is that our own sonship derives from the sonship of Jsus.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

"God sent forth his son, born of woman...to redeem those who are under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying "Abba, Father""- Galatians ch4 vv4-6
So Paul's account is that our own sonship derives from the sonship of Jsus.

The important point I am making is that Jesus did not call himself the only son of God, someone else did. If Jesus says he is A Son of God, and someone else says he is The Son of God, whom is it better to listen to?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
OP, I would very much appreciate it if you could post where you found your information. As in, the proof that the Greek translation is 'a' son of God. And also, I just want to slightly ask what relevance the greek translation has to the original? Perhaps it was the greek translation that was at fault? I am neutral until I have seen further evidence, but I just wanted to propose those questions.

The Protector

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

If Jesus says he is A Son of God, and someone else says he is The Son of God, whom is it better to listen to?

Both would fit...

I am A son of my father..
You would say I am The son of my father..So is my brother..
I dont see your point...

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Protector
OP, I would very much appreciate it if you could post where you found your information. As in, the proof that the Greek translation is 'a' son of God. And also, I just want to slightly ask what relevance the greek translation has to the original? Perhaps it was the greek translation that was at fault? I am neutral until I have seen further evidence, but I just wanted to propose those questions.

The Protector

I heard it in video with Alan Watts. The Video This of course leaves room for Alan Watts lying, But it seems like that wouldn't be the case.

The greek text, translated in King James as "The" is wrongly translated, says Alan Watts.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by CynicalM

If Jesus says he is A Son of God, and someone else says he is The Son of God, whom is it better to listen to?

Both would fit...

I am A son of my father..
You would say I am The son of my father..So is my brother..
I dont see your point...

Point is Jesus is the same as everyone else. No more no less.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

Wake Up Call: Psalms came before the 13th ROMAN SOLDIER 'Apostle' who never knew Jesus.
Here is The Version Online.

Psalm 82:6

6 "I said, 'You are "gods";
you are all sons of the Most High.'

You don't have to believe in Jesus, you don't have to believe in The New Testament, Look at The Old Testament, at what god has said, we are all gods. So then, we are free to be the guardians of our own futures and destines. We make our own hells out of regret for pain we have caused to ourselves and others.

Romans 8:14

14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Genesis 6:4

4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of men and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown.

(I made 'sons of god' bold for emphasis)

I'm sure we've heard at least that one before. Here is proof that Jesus wasn't "THE" only Son of God. There are many, we are many.

edit on 23-9-2010 by leira7 because: Edit to add more scriptures backing up quote of Jesus about "Son's of God"

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Indeed, Jesjuah was A son of God, not THE son of God. And what he and others wanted to signify by calling himself (Jesjuah) a son of God, was to show he was rightious. Read quotes below to see a scriptual referance:

Deuteronomy 14:1 Ye are the children of the LORD your God: ye shall not cut yourselves, nor make any baldness between your eyes for the dead .

Psalms 82:6 I have said , Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.

Compare with Matt 27:54 and Mark 15:39 where also the Roman soldiers support that Jesjuah was "a son of the gods" ie. a righteous man.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
First off let me please state that my own beliefs are set down by years of experience as i have battled with my own faith and such, the academic stuff can be argued by those more qualified to do it so that part i will leave for the intellectuals out there.
When Jesus or Yeshua stated that he was a/the son of G-d as i understand it he was using a title that the Jews at that time used that we would probably understand more with our Hellenistic view as one very much blessed in knowledge and in relationship with G-d i.e. a damned good Rabbi that stood against roman occupation forsaking the world and its riches rather than selling ones soul to the roman emperor to be able to live comfortably as did various members of the then Sanhedrin, this statement could i guess be backed up by fairly new archaeological finds in Jerusalem that have found the priestly and political elite did live in luxury as the main populace lived in abject poverty at that time. The statement he made was then twisted by his religious elders who felt threatened somehow and understanding the Romanesque/Greek mind turned this title into that which the romans understood as a literal son of G-d accusing the Rabbi Yeshua of challenging the emperors own claims this lead to him being tried,judged and crucified in a roman manner and not stoned to death in the Jewish manner for a breaking of a Mosaic commandment ( though shalt have no other gods before me ).
After that for this small Jewish movement that started to rock the political boat it was all down hill and a new religion was born and sealed at around AD 350 at the council of Nicea when the christian faith was pretty much agreed upon and finalized having borrowed a lot from the pagan religions such as stories of virgin births, deaths and resurrections.
The jesus we know today is sadly a fiction and has no bearing or resemblance to the Rabbinical Yeshua and therefore the understanding of the tital son of god has two very different meanings especially when you compare Greek/Romanesque thinking with the then Semitic way.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
You're wrong. Jesus is the Son of God. When he comes to live inside a person, He becomes the Son of Man and it prooves the how and why He is the Son of God.

He lives.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Myrtales Instinct

In your dream (BTW, this is the second line)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myrtales Instinct
You're wrong. Jesus is the Son of God. When he comes to live inside a person, He becomes the Son of Man and it prooves the how and why He is the Son of God.

He lives.

Im not going to enter a debate on faith other than i respect what you need to believe and im at ease with the conclusions that i have come too through a little questioning, life experience and some study thrown in, i respect the figure of Yeshua immensely and walk a stumbling step towards understanding G-d who for the first time ever i am at ease with as i understand him/her what ever the neutral term is when we use none gendered nouns.
I can safely say that my beliefs have never hurt anyone in any way whatsoever and i mean ever, peace friend and read on even if just a little and dare to know

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   

John 3:16
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[a] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

You said it man! (And btw this is still the second line. Refer and be served.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Neo Christian Mystic

Well, I guess the board now knows you are out of the loop on the true mystical elements of christianity.

Very well.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by weaverre

He lives.

Im not going to enter a debate on faith other than i respect what you need to believe and im at ease with the conclusions that i have come too through a little questioning, life experience and some study thrown in, i respect the figure of Yeshua immensely and walk a stumbling step towards understanding G-d who for the first time ever i am at ease with as i understand him/her what ever the neutral term is when we use none gendered nouns.
I can safely say that my beliefs have never hurt anyone in any way whatsoever and i mean ever, peace friend and read on even if just a little and dare to know

Right. If you don't want to debate no problem, but you are on a theology board stating that the Messiah is just like everyone else. You are saying you have reached a conclusion based on questioning, life experience and study. If people read this I want them to know that I have reached an entirely different conclusion through the same means; questioning, experiencing and a little study.

There is a big difference between believing something and knowing something. I don't need to believe a certain way or another - I know the things I know because of the grace of God. I can't change my experiences, so I'm gonna have to take a stand and say you are wrong.

BTW - I don't hurt people either, I just want others to experience the things they were intended to experience and dare to know the truth.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

He lives.

Straight to the point and Solid.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Ok iv taken the bait and im hooked

Originally posted by weaverre

He lives.

Right. If you don't want to debate no problem, but you are on a theology board stating that the Messiah is just like everyone else. You are saying you have reached a conclusion based on questioning, life experience and study. If people read this I want them to know that I have reached an entirely different conclusion through the same means; questioning, experiencing and a little study.

Yeah iv seen this happen a lot and im really chuffed for you as well as the billions of others that have chosen or walk many different paths and no doubt i will see you and many many others sometime in the next world waving from another mansion, i just feel that all is not quiet what it at first seems and a belief that is solid and unmovable is unhealthy, fluidity and growth just seems a little more natural.

There is a big difference between believing something and knowing something. I don't need to believe a certain way or another - I know the things I know because of the grace of God. I can't change my experiences, so I'm gonna have to take a stand and say you are wrong.

BTW - I don't hurt people either, I just want others to experience the things they were intended to experience and dare to know the truth.

its a funny old world i mean how we both really want the same for each other, ok you choose to follow a religious belief set down by the nicean council and cant by their rules or rather are not allowed to think outside the box of a rubber stamped and acceptable orthodoxy and i try a more independent means and not being an intellectual by any stretch of the imagination a much harder route, you say i am wrong ? why what are your resources ? a book thrown together several hundred years after the actual event ? there where certain people in history who understood that if you shout a lie long and hard enough people begin to believe and this is what orthodoxy did from the very beginning of its own inception a slow process of power centering and people manipulation of a growing religion, but and here it comes i do believe that the mere effort of reaching towards G-d as a child reaches to its parent after tumbling the Father ( for want of a better word ) will reach down like any good parent and help but still encourage us to be self reliant and as independent as possible without being isolated, the way we all imagine a good family to work

one final thing if i come across a little... i dunno snotty i apologize but its a subject i love cause i do love G-d and people and i really do not mean to cause any offense i just want people to have that chance to reach up and really feel what its like ( which i feel you have) when G-d reaches down... a lot of us have taken that first step to a personal salvation/growth which is not monopolized by a set religious belief because by that system already billions of souls are lost into damnation because a childlike and petulant god threw his dummy out of the pram because i/we didn't play his game by his rules .... naaah sorry those are very human reactions and beliefs painted onto the idea of a false god not one of a G-d that all life emanated from.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
It would seem the Bible(NT) is divinely inspired because the vatican says it is. In other words I am required to believe the church and their say so, and that is the only authority the Bible hinges on.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join