It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Thousand by Kevin Guilfoile

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
reply to post by plutoxgirl

a good story will suck you in, regardless of your connection with the characters but there's nothing better than closing a book and wanting more, not because the story was incomplete but, rather, because you've become attached to the characters in such a way that the ending almost feels like you've lost a friend. every so often I'll see a movie or read a book and I'll spend time afterward thinking of where they go from there, what happens etc.

Agree.

And, I did find myself quiet sometimes thinking where they go from there, what happens next, etc.
The imagination of water sun signs is too vast.
(Oh astro mumbling ;D)

Moreover, I think a really good book is the one you can pick on several times, discover something new and enjoy it like the first time.
(Movies as well, the ones you never get tired of watching over and over again...)

Oddly enought I'm not always a fan of series books so, when an author I like writes a book and then follows it up with another about the same characters, if I don't totally love the style and writing, I'm done with them. Very few authors have managed to keep me going with series types books, mainly because they become the same thing in a different location. I think those attempts at capitalizing on a character's popularity tend to reduce the quality of work, resulting in formulaic stories that are pumped out as quickly as possible.

Oh agree as well...

Not fan of series books.

I think, the characters lose the magic of their limited existance to one story.

On the other hand, if you are really attached to the character (this had happened to me quiet a very FEW times), you want to keep it alive and going on for ever, but on the long run the author is making you a favour, when they "kill" it before the character wears out and destroys what once was a captivating story...
(I meant the author "kills it"- as a metaphor of putting and end to the story and not produce more series of it)-

Truth is good characters are immortal-

It happens the same with movies.

Actually, trying to remember what really got me pinned u was Lost (the tv. serie). Oh god, I wanted it to never end! =( lmao.. However I realized later, an end- was a necessarly "evil".
I miss it... is my fav serie of all times- but I see, that if it was kept on for longer, the enchantess would be obscured by trivial simplicity.

I ramble, therefore I am.

Well, very nice ramble. .

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I never watched a single episode of lost. I've been told, numerous times, that I'd have loved it. For whatever reason, it didn't interest me enough. I like shows like that to have a pre-planned path. When someone creates a show, they want it to run forever but, in reality, a show like lost cannot run on too long and the networks won't pick it up if it's stuck with a finite life thus, the story is altered and the crazy puzzling plotlines become convoluted in an effort to keep the show on the air.

Prison break was a prime example of that. The first season was, by far, one of the most inventive, interesting and exciting first seasons I'd ever seen. Of course, they broke out and were on the run by the end of the season and, I'm guessing, the concept was to not drag the break out too long and to have them on the run for a period of time. It worked great as a prison break show but, on the run, the series faltered so they put them in a new prison. It was increasingly less interesting from that point on.

Heroes was another one. The original premise was incredible. Follow a group of ordinary people who are slowly discovering they have "super" powers. Those characters became so popular that the second season had to involve them and the concept of new "talent" went out the window. Normally, that'd be cool but they went for the grand prize by using a nuke in the first season. Where can you go from there?

Serial type books are very similar. They follow the formula and each book becomes a touch more mundane.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

You should totally watch Lost!...you'll be hooked up instantly. There's no going back after you "get lost" in the first episodes. It's addictive- ;D

In my opinion 1st and 2nd season are awsome.
3rd season to me was the most boring- 4th was ok- and 5th was incredible.
A really enjoyable puzzling rollecoaster.

WITH very interesting messages to decode, and a brilliant ending.....

Oh Prison Break... I watched that too. I loved the 1st season!- of course, but after 2nd it really started to fade away.
I don't know what happened but the drugjunkie- CIA agent ended up being one my fav character.?

lmao
The show started to lose flavour as time went by-... and the ending was not good

However still considered among my favs after Lost.

And with that said- I almost never watch TV... and most series do not capture my interest.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by plutoxgirl

the only reason I opted to watch The Event was because I read somewhere that the show is mapped out for 5 years.

If I had the time, I'd watch Lost. I just don't have the time.

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Oh The Event-
Dunno- didn't pay much attention.
Maybe I should had?

and Lost. Yes, well, someday. Just keep it on the future 'to do' list.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join