It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The burqa mural: should it be painted over?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   

The burqa mural: should it be painted over?

www.thepunch.com.au

It was painted by the owner of the property, shop owner Sergio Redegalli who also, apparently, has a ban-the-burqa bumper sticker.

Locals have complained and council officials have visited the owner to talk to him about removing but have said in a statement that legally their hands are tied. There’s a pretty simple freedom of speech issue at play here: should it be painted over?

Redegalli told the local newspaper, The Inner West Courier: “This mural has come from frustration that political correctness has gone so far you can’t say anything about Muslims without getting in trouble,
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
inner-west-courier.whereilive.com.au

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
This is interesting, its seems this smear campaign and distraction is working with people so concerned about the burqa that the governement can go ahead and do what it likes with out people noticing. These distractions seem to be timed so well, especially with a desire for a war with iran. I am all for this mans freedom of speech but at the same time I cant help but think of the saying ''if you dont have any thing nice to say, dont say any thing at all''. This whole issue is creating further division amongst the people rather then educating and creating understanding. Back to Australia in the 50's again it seems. Funny, australia paid for migrants to come over to support industry in the early 70s. If it wasnt for migrants australia wouldnt be where it is.

www.thepunch.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 23-9-2010 by q_ball because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Eh?

Sergio Redegalli

Back to the 50's?

It's his wall and he can do with it as he pleases yet they're still trying to work out how to force him to get rid of it.

Yep, PC madness..

edit on 9/23/2010 by 12m8keall2c because: removed unnecessary quote of entire previous post - Quoting - Please review this link

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
who the freak CARES about Islam!!!! i'm sick of hearing about it!!!!!

it's nothing but a distraction.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I'm not familiar with the rights alloted to Austrailians by law, but if a similar mural appeared in the US, I would be appalled that someone is wondering how to censor this person's right to freedom of expression. It's his property, his view, his work.....it would have no reason to be taken down. If people are offended, they would need to examine the "why".
If you believe burkhas are okay, he has a different opinion. Get over it.
And it's not racist, as all races are members of the Islamic religion.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Banning the Burqua is not racial hatred, it's not wanting a piece of clothing covering the face and head of anyone who wears it.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I say ban the burqa. It degrades and humiliates women as if somehow their physical features are something to fear and despise. The reason for the burqa is simple. Their men have a fear about their manhood and women in general. They fear their ability to control themselves around women. This is my opinion. Why else would they need to cover up their women in sheets of cloth lest they should look at them.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The Burqa is not actually a part of Islam, its a Middle Estern culture thing

so by banning it they are not "opressing islam" or being "racist"

The Koran just says women (and men but we know it dont apply to them!) should dress modestly and cover their hair (like a headscarf)

so all the Muslims who screaming "your are opressing Islam" by banning the burqa are actually wrong and need to study their own religion a bit more

Its an extremists weapon of opression and control, nothing else

so its not racist or opressing islam by banning it

edit on 23/9/10 by Smiler74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Smiler74
The Burqa is not actually a part of Islam, its a Middle Estern culture thing

so by banning it they are not "opressing islam" or being "racist"

The Koran just says women (and men but we know it dont apply to them!) should dress modestly and cover their hair (like a headscarf)

so all the Muslims who screaming "your are opressing Islam" by banning the burqa are actually wrong and need to study their own religion a bit more

Its an extremists weapon of opression and control, nothing else

so its not racist or opressing islam by banning it

edit on 23/9/10 by Smiler74 because: (no reason given)

Well said Smiler74!

It has nothing to do with Islam and a bit of news: ISLAM or Muslims are NOT a race. Therefore, how can you be called racist by opposing them?

Secondly, here is an interesting article from the Middle East which my friend from Syria sent me:

abcnews.go.com...

ME custom, not Islam....not religious in any respect.

Thanks and 73's,
Tom (KC5ILU)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove

I say ban the burqa. It degrades and humiliates women as if somehow their physical features are something to fear and despise. The reason for the burqa is simple. Their men have a fear about their manhood and women in general. They fear their ability to control themselves around women. This is my opinion. Why else would they need to cover up their women in sheets of cloth lest they should look at them.

Hmm...Religious political correctness vs. gender-based political correctness...who will win? Pit them against each other, stand back, and watch the sparks fly...

new topics

top topics

join