It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by wigit
Are mirror image twins opposite on the insides too then?
Sorry, aren't mirror image twins just identical twins or is that a different thing?
Situs inversus is a congenital condition in which the major visceral organs are reversed or mirrored from their normal positions.
The prevalence of situs inversus varies among different populations but is less than 1 in 10,000 people.
The condition affects all major structures within the thorax and abdomen. Generally, the organs are simply transposed through the sagittal plane. The heart is located on the right side of the thorax, the stomach and spleen on the right side of the abdomen and the liver and gall bladder on the left side. The left lung is trilobed and the right lung bilobed, and blood vessels, nerves, lymphatics and the intestines are also transposed.
Situs inversus is generally an autosomal recessive genetic condition, although it can be X-linked or found in identical "mirror" twins.
Mirror Image Twins
If you are mirror image twins it means that you are also identical twins. Mirror image twins are created when the fertilised egg splits quite late (around days 9-12), any later and twins can be co-joined.
Mirror image twins have small mirror image differences but are actually genetically identical; this means you have the exact same DNA!
Some parts of the body are commonly mirrored; mirroring of appendix or heart or other internal organs is rare. We have some examples of our own mirroring:
* We are opposite handed (Flame is left-handed and Lake right)
* We tend to have mirror image dental problems
* Our cowlicks (tuft of hair at fringe) are on opposite sides
* People often have two different size feet; with us the opposite foot is larger
* We look very similar to each other but the resemblance is even stronger if we stand facing each other (as though in a mirror) rather than side by side. Or get both of us facing into a mirror and things start to look very confusing.
* Our finger prints don't seem to conform to being mirror image – instead they are nearly identical (only one pair of fingers has any major difference)
We've had emails from many other mirror image twins who tell us they also have these types of physical similarities. We don't seem to experience mirror image aptitudes and instead we have very similar interests and skill levels.