It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Understanding the Nation of Islam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
For any of you who ever wanted to know more about the Nation of Islam. Love em' or hate em' they are huge part of African American history and pride. I'm going to summarize the Nation of Islam the best I can and I will answer any question you have about the Nation of Islam.
Let's start of with what the Nation of Islam is and it's beginning.
The Nation of Islam was started by Wallace Fard Muhammad in 1930. The reincarnation of God or God in human form. Here is a picture of him.

en.wikipedia.org...

Allah (God) came to us from the Holy City Mecca, Arabia, in 1930. He used the name Wallace D. Fard, often signing it W. D. Fard. In the third year (1933), He signed His name W. F. Muhammad, which stands for Wallace Fard Muhammad. He came alone. He began teaching us the knowledge of ourselves, of God and the devil, of the measurement of the earth, of other planets, and of the civilizations of some of the planets other than earth.

As soon as he came; he diapered. His life is shrouded in mystery. We would get into that later.
There are rumors that he was a member of the Moorish Science Temple of America which resulted in him later forming the Nation of Islam.

Fard's racialization of Islamic beliefs is part of the widespread preoccupation with racial theory and eugenics among many people from various backgrounds at the time. The common white supremacist idea that black people were somehow less evolved than whites was turned around, making black people the original uncorrupted peoples of the world, of which whites were defined as a degenerate offshoot. According to Fard, Yakub's progeny were destined to dominate the world for 6,000 years before the original black peoples once again assumed power. Fard said this process had begun in 1914, while his followers said he had been sent to proclaim it.

After Wallace Fard Muhammad left his successor Elijah Muhammad took over as the leader of the Nation of Islam.

During his leadership of the Nation of Islam more and more people started to join and the Nation of Islam started to become more of a Black supremacist organization.
A video entitled the hate that produced hate became the rally cry and poster for the Nation of Islam.

Google Video Link

Now this video is two hours long and heavenly controversial.
Current leader Louis Farrakhan has a huge introduction in the video.

Google Video Link

en.wikipedia.org...

I charge the white man with being the greatest liar on earth! I charge the white man with being the greatest drunkard on earth.... I charge the white man with being the greatest gambler on earth. I charge the white man, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, with being the greatest murderer on earth. I charge the white man with being the greatest peace-breaker on earth.... I charge the white man with being the greatest robber on earth. I charge the white man with being the greatest deceiver on earth. I charge the white man with being the greatest trouble-maker on earth. So therefore, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you, bring back a verdict of guilty as charged!

During this part of the time the Civil Rights movement was already on the way. Malcolm as a leading and controversial poster child of the Nation of Islam soon changed his views of the group after his pilgrimage to Mecca. How ever you find yourself. Malcolm X's testimony is filled with spiritualism.

www.colostate.edu...

There were tens of thousands of pilgrims, from all over the world. They were of all colors, from blue-eyed blonds to black-skinned Africans. But we were all participating in the same ritual displaying a spirit of unity and brotherhood that my experiences in America had led me to believe never could exist between the white an d the non-white...America needs to understand Islam, because this is the one religion that erases from its society the race problem. Throughout my travels in the Muslim world, I have met, talked to, and even eaten with people who in America would have been considered white -- but the "white" attitude was removed from their minds by the religion of Islam. I have never before seen sincere and true brotherhood practiced by all colors together, irrespecitve of their color.

Now with this coming out of him changing his beliefs was a surprise to all. Especially the Nation of Islam and Elijah Muhammad. Which led to Malcolm X being killed. Soon Elijah Muhammad passed away and the Nation of Islam split into 3 different fractions.
Warith Deen Mohammed the son of Elijah Muhammad took over where his father started.
Unlike his father he was not racist and allowed Whites to become members of the Nation of Islam.

Of course having the son of one of the most popular Black nationalist promote peace and unity didn't sit well with many members. As well Louis Farrakhan which started to take over the group. Soon he became the current leader of the group and is currently one of the most vocal leaders of Black nationalism.

Since his leadership he has brought back the older traditions of the Nation of Islam; which of course is bigotry.
The Million Man March did have it's benefits for the group.

Now I already know you want to compare both the Nation of Islam and traditional Islamic beliefs. That's good. Because the Nation of Islam couldn't be more different.
en.wikipedia.org...
Here's a link you can check out and see the differences between the two. Now I'm open for any questions!!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   

All Farrakhan and his ilk do is perpetuate the notion that skin color matters.

$0.02

-TheAssoc.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Good post, some may get the Nation of Islam mixed up with Islam in general though. My personal belief is that there are good and bad people in all religions, those who are dogmatic and those who aren't, those who believe and those who wish they truly believed. Then you have those that use it for political purposes (hitler, bin laden etc). No religion is really good and no religion is really bad.

There are also many muslims in Africa, especially in the north (I believe). I believe a lot of the islamaphobia right now in the USA comes from racism. "Muslim lover" is the new "N1gg3r lover".

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Nice topic, explains a lot i never new bout the nation of Islam, including Malcolm X leaving it and that its basically just an Islamic version of a cult.

edit on 30/09/10 by Maccaron.Shakaron because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Maccaron.Shakaron

Well it's not really Islam; but they use their version of Islam. If that makes sense to you.

new topics

top topics

join