It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. welcomes Russia's ban on S-300 missile sales to Iran

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Thread Update

Iran says no relying on Russian S-300 anti-aircraft missiles

TEHRAN, Sept. 23 (Xinhua) -- Iran's Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi said Thursday that Iran has never been relying on the Russian S-300 anti-aircraft missile systems for its defense programs, the state IRIB TV reported.

"A decision has been made not to supply S-300s to Iran. They are definitely subject to the sanctions," Russian Chief of General Staff Nikolai Makarov told reporters in Ramenskoye in the Moscow region.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
One would hope that for all the talk these missiles and systems have been upgraded. They were crummy in Yugoslavia and Iraq. Reports as late as 2006 say they are not really worth the worry. Although reports are that the Chinese soulder helds are good.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism
reply to post by SLAYER69

Following the cancelation Iran announced that it will construct a domestic missile defense system similar to the sophisticated Russian anti-aircraft system.

Tehran’s gamble paid off

The more bans on Iran, the more opportunity for Iran to advance in technological arena.

Such a big fail in Western foreign policy, Iran is already selling weapons to anti-USA South American nations through Syria, and sharing "know hows" also. See the link for more info..

Irans weapon tech is garbage thats why they were trying get these missles that are not very good to begin with. It is also why they still use planes the Shah bought back before the revolution. As expected Irans support from Russia really only extends to using them as a tool to negotiate with the US. This is all more symbolic then anything if the US wanted to attack Iran, and they do not, the S-300's would have added almost nothing to Irans obsolete defences anyway. It is telling that Irans actions since the revolution have damaged itself so greatly that they can not gather any support against the US something that is in general very easy to do.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

This whole mess can be simply defused IMO if Iran cooperated more.
I do not read too much coming out of Washington under Obama other than Asking for Iran to cooperate more.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Iran cautions Russia on S-300 delivery

Iran's Defense Minister says Tehran has cautioned Russia not to cave into Western "pressure" by reneging on a delayed deal to deliver S-300 defense systems.

"A lot of pressure has been exerted on the Russians, and they have so far proven their inability to reach the correct decision," Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi told al-Alam television.

"We have repeatedly said that it would not be in Russia's interests to present itself as an unreliable and undependable partner," he added.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

This is great news, they need to have the heat put on them, I watched the UN speech by Ahdmajamapants yesterday, and there was some interesting things in there that he had to say, a man truly will tell you his intentions if you listen to what hes saying.....

Russia is feeling the sting too, they see things brewing on the horizon and im sure they dont want to be caught up in whats to come , atleast not be responsible for it....

as for OOZI

didnt you say in another thread that there was no proof that Iran was funding terrorism....

But now youre saying that they are funding anti american groups in south america and other areas....

OOz.........you must have some serious wrinkles talking about both sides of your mouth buddy....

I see you change your stance when it fits your needs..........textbook radical islam training....

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Iran cautions Russia on S-300 delivery

Iran's Defense Minister says Tehran has cautioned Russia not to cave into Western "pressure" by reneging on a delayed deal to deliver S-300 defense systems.

"A lot of pressure has been exerted on the Russians, and they have so far proven their inability to reach the correct decision," Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi told al-Alam television.

"We have repeatedly said that it would not be in Russia's interests to present itself as an unreliable and undependable partner," he added.

Iran is going to try to SHAME Russia into breaking sanctions? Many Russians are much like myself - utterly shameless. How to you shame someone like that into doing your bidding? As a matter of fact, in my case any such attempts usually just piss me off that they would even be attempted. When THAT happens, sure, I might go ahead and give you a missile or two... but you'd better watch close so you don't miss it when it's incoming!

Luckily, Russia is probably more restrained and dignified than I am.

Probably.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by palg1
reply to post by Jeanius

Yup, Iran is our enemy. Anyone expounding the destruction of a legitimate state and calling for the punishment any state that supports the first is in fact an enemy of the global village.

If you mean Israel is a "legitimate state", let's wait till they abandon EVERY SINGLE LAST SETTLEMENT THEY CREATED ILLEGALLY. Then we can talk. I mean double standards are OK but let's have some limits on hypocrisy here.

Until Israel withdraws from territories it occupied illegally, I call for end of assistance to that state in all form and shape.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Once again, the point is that, it is better to design and create it yourself, then let someone else do it for you, that is lazy, that is why the Arabs haven't advanced, while you see Iran create its first drone
while Iranians universities are pact with students learning different sciences.

Oh, so persians now learn "different sciences", as opposed to Al Qur'an? That's good news.

Their "drone" is a pathetic knock-off of the German V-1 developed in 1940s. Which means they are 60-70 years behind the curve.

Arabs have enough dough to buy good stuff from us and others.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   

reply to post by MrSpad

This whole mess can be simply defused IMO if Iran cooperated more.
I do not read too much coming out of Washington under Obama other than Asking for Iran to cooperate more.

Iran does not want to defuse the situation anymore then they want to escalate it. When your regime is suffering from instabiility the best way to defuse it is to use an outside threat to focus that attention elsewhere. You can then also blame everything on the outside power. The key is to walk that fine line. Iran learned this when the Iraqi invasion united the counry after the revolution. Iran at that time was fighting to maintain control all over the country and the Iraqi attack changed all that.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
What is Russias endgame?
I'm sure this is because the U.S have cut a nice fat deal with the russians over Oil.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

I think Russia realizes that there is more at stake here than a few billion in arms sales.
The global community is getting pretty tired of Iran's shell game BS.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

It is telling that Irans actions since the revolution have damaged itself so greatly that they can not gather any support against the US something that is in general very easy to do.

Firstly, it is not about fighting face to face, the US can defeat the whole world without any problems, hence its defense budget is more than the world's defense budget combined.

Second, this is about priority, is it worth attacking Iran? What will the US loose if it attacks Iran, what will it gain, if it attacks Iran, will the US be able to occupy Iran after an attack? If the US can't occupy Iran after an attack, what will be the consequences of the attack, what will the Iranian response be? What will happen to US soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan? What will happen to Capital of the US empire Israel>?

All of that being said:

In January 2007, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad led a five-day official visit to Venezuela, Nicaragua, and Ecuador. His visit coincided with the inaugurations of Nicaragua's newly-elected president Daniel Ortega and Ecuador's Rafael Correa. While in Caracas, he signed 11 new agreements and approved a $2 billion joint investment fund to finance projects intended to "thwart U.S. domination."

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Iran now has fully operational embassies in Cuba, Venezuela, Mexico, Brazil, and Argentina, with plans to strengthen its diplomatic presence in Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Nicaragua, and Uruguay.

Iran has reinforced its links with Shiite militias and politicians in Iraq so that successful nation building there requires Tehran’s cooperation. Providing material support for Hezbollah in Lebanon and Hamas in Gaza gives Iran clout among the Arab public.

As part of Iran’s adventurism in the western hemisphere, the IRGC engages in arms sales via its ally Syria to Venezuela and Bolivia. It now expands that activity by sharing “weapons know-how and the finished products” with many other developing nations.

Ensuring robust diplomatic, economic and military ties with Latin American nations is yet one more aspect of the Islamic Republic’s globalizing its influence. Venezuela, Bolivia, Nicaragua, and Cuba are forming alliances with Iran aimed at replacing U.S. visions of democracy and security.

Iran is in a position, which America fears. The US is in no position to attack Iran, it is in no position to attack and then back down. It can either occupy Iran, or not. If it occupies Iran, the resistance will be, well, incredibly strong.

Nuking Iran in to the dark ages won't help either, that won't help the US's world domination agenda.

You tell me one thing that the US can do to Iran which won't have devastating effects to the US empire as a whole.

Even sanctions have failed, because Iran has turned the sanctions in to an opportunity, to advance domestically.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Second, this is about priority, is it worth attacking Iran? What will the US loose if it attacks Iran, what will it gain, if it attacks Iran, will the US be able to occupy Iran after an attack? If the US can't occupy Iran after an attack, what will be the consequences of the attack, what will the Iranian response be? What will happen to US soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan? What will happen to Capital of the US empire Israel>?

You know oozi

I only hear the war drums being beaten by you and many like you. When was the last time Obama came right out and said Iran is on the hit list?

I know it's popular rhetoric here at ATS to keep saying over and over that the US is about to pounce on Iran.

It's true if you say something long enough even if it's BS people will start to believe it,.

edit on 23-9-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   

reply to post by hippomchippo

I think Russia realizes that there is more at stake here than a few billion in arms sales.
The global community is getting pretty tired of Iran's shell game BS.

It still surprises me that Russia would allow the U.S this kind of move in such a strategic region like the middle east.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

My point is that the US is in no position to attack Iran, because Iran has placed itself in a perfect spot in the board.

That is why they are pushing for sanctions, to slow down the Iranian advancement to an extent and to gain time until the environment suffices an attack on Iran without any damaging loss to the American empire.

The creation of that environment, is related to the heavy propaganda they are pushing against Iran. That has also failed, because Iran is countering propaganda with propaganda, hence the human rights violation of the Virginia women who is being executed for adultery. At least that is how propaganda works
[sarcasm intended on the adultery part lol]

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
It still surprises me that Russia would allow the U.S this kind of move in such a strategic region like the middle east.

"Allow"?
How do you figure? Is the Region Russias personal playground? What makes you think that Russia isn't playing both sides in this deal?

edit on 23-9-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo

"Allow"?
How do you figure? Is the Region Russia personal playground? What makes you think that Russia isn't playing both sides in this deal?

Relax.
I'm simply wondering what russias motives are, I never said anything about what I think russia is doing.
And yes, Russia was very active in this region before, so I don't see why they wouldn't be now.

A couple weeks ago we had Russia supplying not only Iran but lebanon aswell, and now it's a sudden stop, so I'm just wondering what gives.

edit on 23-9-2010 by hippomchippo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

My point is that the US is in no position to attack Iran, because Iran has placed itself in a perfect spot in the board.

Well a continuous non stop assertion that the US is on the verge of Attacking doesn't help the FEAR mongering in these situation. Almost every time someone brings up some sort of jab at the US over the topic.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Well Economic warfare usually is the starting phase of a military warfare, do you remember Iraq? The point is, Iran needs to tackle the economic warfare efficiently, and the propaganda warfare, to not allow any openings for an attack, or an invasion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join