It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raw food diet - 2nd attempt - this time I stayed on it... and feel great!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Hi, everyone.

Well, I'm not sure if those of you remember me from about 6 months ago (or maybe it was longer) but I tried the 28-day raw food challenge. Unfortunately, I couldn't complete it, because I tried going raw all at once, and it was too difficult.

This time I did it differently, and I feel great. I am now eating about 75-85% raw. And my goal is to go up to 100% raw food diet by October.

Here's how I did it:

On day 1, I gave up: all types of meat, fowl, and fish, sugar, caffeine, soda, coffee, and all dairy products. I had also given up wheat about 2 months ago.

I started out the first week doing lots of steamed veggies and rice and fruit and nuts.

By the second week, I got tired of steamed veggies and transitioned over to green smoothies.

By the 4th week, I was learning how to make amazing kale salads. Before the 3rd week, I could only handle kale in a smoothie. But now, with the right dressing, I actually like it!

By the 6th week, I was tempted to go all raw son.

This is the 7th week, and today, I have eaten all raw, except for some supplements, which I will stop after the end of next week.

How I felt:

I was quite hungry all the time the first week, but it went away by the second week.

Most cravings were gone within a few weeks. Before starting this new way of eating, I used to always crave caffeine, chocolate, sweet and sour candy, sugary foods, etc... After I gave up sugar, etc.. I started craving salty things (like popcorn), and garlic. Then that went away, and I started craving jalepenos. I have no idea why, but I am still craving jalepenos. In fact, I've eaten about half a jar in 24 hours, with some raw tomatoes. (I call it a jalepeno and tomato salad.) I have no idea why I'm craving them, but I figure it's better than sugar.

I have tons of energy, without cafffeine or naps.

I only drink water or tea, I never need naps, I'm sleeping well, I'm exercising more, and so far I've lost about 10 pounds, which is a nice bonus! People are commenting on how nice and healthy I look, and I'm getting lots of looks from men lately. (Bonus.)

Oh, and my hair, which had started going gray in my 20's, and was 100% gray on the sides of my head and about 50% gray on top....now seems to be coming in darker. I just had to re-dye my hair today, and it definitely seemed less gray. But it's only been 2 months so far (almost), so I'll see if it's still getting darker 6 weeks from now.

So, going raw is a success this time. I highly recommend the raw diet....but if you do it, I'd recommend doing a transition from cooked steamed veggies to raw veggies, rather than go cold turkey on everything all at once.

It was much easier to go completely cold turkey on sugar, soda, coffee, etc...

I feel great, and I highly recommend going raw by doing a transition from steamed veggies to raw veggies slowly over a week or two, to avoid a total detox all at once.

And hopefully, I have avoided having surgery. (Which is one of the reasons I started this new way of eating.) I'll let you know for sure in a few weeks!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I was actually forced into this somewhat about a year ago. I lost my job and therefore all my money. I ate almost nothing but blueberries, pecans, almonds, and plumbs for about 7 weeks. Of course I would eat a regular meal here and there so I wasn't "true" to it. I wasn't trying to be on a diet or anything.

I didn't give up coffee (I don't think I ever would, even if I was on this diet)

But everything else was pretty easy, I felt good too. Pecans and dried blueberries turn out to be very filling.

I may try something like this for lent this year. I always like to see what my body is capable of.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Congrats! Hope all is well and your diet treats you right.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Congrats! I have been eating vegan for about a year and a half, and have been incorporating more raw foods in my diet. I also recently cut out wheat - but I will have to make an exception for the vegan chinese buffet occasionally

My latest favorite raw food is freshly juiced carrot/kale/ginger. I've been taking it to the office for breakfast and it has been providing me with tons of energy.

Isn't it amazing how different your taste palette becomes after such a drastic change in diet?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyTHSeed

Yes! My taste buds are wanting to try foods I've never tried before. I never thought I'd like kale, but now I love it.

I'll try your carrot/kale/ginger drink. Thanks for the idea!

If you want to try an amazing kale salad, try this:

Marinated kale salad:
-kale
-pine nuts
-red bell pepper (chopped)
-raddish (chopped)

salad dressing:
balsalmic vinegar,
olive oil,
raw agave nectar,
juice of half an orange,
and a pinch of salt
(blend in blender for 15 seconds and pour over salad, then mix)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Oh, and I can't believe I forgot to mention this, but so far I've lost about 10-12 pounds. At first the weight came off slowly, but now it seems to be just melting off my body very quickly. (I was never obese, but I was getting quite chubby.)

posted on Sep, 26 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
You are really strong-minded in insisting on eating raw food,i admire you so much,however i think that 70% of the raw is just fine .

posted on Oct, 16 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
You must be lacking a large amount of protein from your diet and that isn't healthy...

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Plants provide plenty of protein. The vegetarian protein deficiency is a myth.

posted on Oct, 18 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed

They don't provide the full range of essential amino acids....

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

You should of try the www.musclecook.com

it is actually the opposite of raw food, and it's made for bodybuilder who want to perform and be able to like what they eat, but it learn you to count what amount of calories, protein, carbs and fat daily, and what kind of each is good for you. it permise you to eat all the time, to like what you eat and never be hungry. it is as good for woman then for man, and no you are not gonna look like a bodybuilder if you don't train for it.

Personally i'm 5'1, and i weight 125 lbs, i was 24% of fat, and i dropped at 120 lbs with 21% fat, with mean about 5 pounds of muscles add and 15 pounds of fas lost, in about 2 or 3 month.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by nikiano

Hi Niki - Great work! I remember your first raw foods thread and had been wondering how you were making out.

Glad to see it's going well for you. Amazing how energy levels exceed what you thought was even possible isn't it? The other great thing about eating this way is if you are overweight, it's next to impossible to not lose weight just like if you are underweight, you will gain weight eating this way. The extra bonus is that will happen in spite of how much food you eat. You can virtually eat unlimited amounts of food all while benefiting your body as you pack it with nutrients.

No foreign, chemically laced foods to throw our bodies out of whack when we eat like this. Just pure, whole foods packed with nutrients and enzymes allowing our bodies to do the job it was designed to do.

The only recommendation I have, which I probably mentioned in your last thread is, don't be overly concerned about braking the no cook rule. If you want to put something in the oven every now and then to mix it up, by all means; no harm will come of it. After all 85% raw is still raw.

posted on Oct, 22 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
If I was ever going to go on an all raw diet, I would be sure to include lots and lots of hempseed. The complete protein in hempseed gives the body all the essential amino acids required to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

posted on Oct, 23 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Which essential amino acids are only found in the animal kingdom?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I know this is an old post.. but.

Lysine.

Also - Vitamin b12 is a big deal:
www.acu-cell.com...

So you should supplement with that, I used to be vegan (7 months) and vegetarian (2 years) and myself and many friends supplemented with vit b12..

Also, there are 8 essential amino acids, and you need to make sure you get them all for best health. Here is a link that shows vegetarian foods that you can get these all in, though idk if you can find them in a raw source.

www.veganhealth.org...

Basically, you should aim for foods with Lysine in them, and if you do that - all other needs would most naturally be met.

I was also a bodybuilder for a year with great gains in strength and muscle mass, and lots of fat loss - I ate tons of meat and felt miles better than I did while a veg. I learned that really, nutrition is key - not just meeting a label, ie "raw", but instead looking at all the nutritional factors that your body requires. Be it meat or plant matter.

EDUCATE YOURSELF before making such a body-altering decision.

Perhaps if you see this post, you can give us an update on your progress?

BTW, I found this post after searching for "kale". I have been eating more and more raw foods lately, specifically cilantro (heavy metal detox) and now added kale. I'm on a spiritual journey, and read some interesting things about raw food. I would never cut out meat though, I believe too much in turkey, chicken, and fish.
edit on 3-2-2011 by derickonfire because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2011 by derickonfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Originally posted by JohnnyTHSeed

They don't provide the full range of essential amino acids....

ah...that's false, just meat-eaters negative bias nothing more.

Here's but one example among many of what the plant kingdom has to offer in terms of protein and amino acids

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
Hemp Hearts

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/680aa04202a5.jpg[/atsimg]

(I know the lady who packages this particular product, which provides good content for the money)

Hemp Hearts (shelled hemp seed) is the only natural food that is concentrated with all of the required proteins and essential fats. It contains many vitamins and enzymes, and only small insignificant quantities of saturated fats and carbohydrates.

Hemp Hearts in comparison with other foods:
■ Contains more required amino acids (proteins) than milk, meat or eggs.
■ Is a complete protein rich source, much more balanced and digestible than Soy products.
■ Contains about 47% oil, 78% of which is omega 3 and 6 , the essential fats.
■ Has all the essential or omega fats required for human health.
■ Contains several times more omega 3 essential fat than any fish.
■ Provides more energy than energy bars, without their sugar and with much less saturated fat.
■ They are suitable for those unable to eat gluten, sugar, nuts, and meat.
■ Excellent for those troubled with constipation.
■ Perfect for those avoiding carbohydrates.
■ A 42 g serving (4 tbsp) contains 240 calorie energy from 15 g protein,15 g polyunsaturated fats (11.4 g omega 6 and 3.6 g omega 3), 2.7 g mono-unsaturated fats, 2.1 g saturated fats, 2.5 g fiber, 4.5 g carbohydrates,
2 mg iron, 31 mg calcium, 3.8 mg sodium, 3.8 mg vitamin E, 956 IU vitamin D, .42 mg vitamin C, .05 mg B6, .58 mg vitamin B1, 1.6 IU vitamin A.

www.nahanniriverherbs.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

P.S. That said, I haven't yet gotten off meat myself, in truth, and I didn't mean to push back relative to the whole meat vs. vegan debate.. and sound mean, like some sort of meanspirited, hypocritical vegetarian lashing back at meat eaters the world over, nothing like that, and if I came across in that way at all, I hereby apologize, hemp-heartedly I mean wholeheartedly!

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

That's pretty impressive but meat still offers things that plants do not such as creatine for example and besides who would rather tuck into a big bowl of leaves when you could have a nice spicy chill con carne?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

One reason is for increased health and vitality and for those suffering from some level of obesity, since the plant based diet alters the PH levels in the body, allowing the fat to disappear (fat is acidic).
Although I haven't tried it yet, I've heard that negative ionized water will accomplish the same feat.

And i'm into superfood supersmoothies for the nutritional profile and health benefits, relative to which a bowl of chile, although you're right, it tastes good, is about as nutritious as cardboard. My smoothies not only taske good, they FEEL totally amazing, from the moment you take your first sip, sometimes I have to restrain myself from shouting out loud!

NAM's Superfood Supersmoothie

new topics

top topics

join