It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN probe concludes Israeli raid on Gaza aid flotilla broke law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
"
"The raid on the Mavi Marmara resulted in the deaths of nine pro-Palestinian activists Israel's military broke international laws during a raid on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla, a UN Human Rights Council investigation says.

Its report said the action by commandos, which left nine dead, was "disproportionate" and "betrayed an unacceptable level of brutality".

It said there was clear evidence to support prosecutions against Israel for "wilful killing".

Of course now will come the anti semitic rant. No one outside of Israel felt the attack was justified and that has now been affirmed by the UN HRC,

So now lets determine to what extent war crimes were committed and get on with the prosecutions.
www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 22-9-2010 by gem_man because: (no reason given)

hosted.ap.org...

edit on 22-9-2010 by gem_man because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by gem_man

So now lets determine to what extent war crimes were committed and get on with the prosecutions.

Wouldn't that be nice..It would trap those responsible in their own country through fear of arrest if they venture out..

I think few doubted from the start that this was a crime..

PS:I'd add I'd like to see a few from other countries also charged with war crimes but its unlikely..

s&f, now the pro israelis will come syaying the rest of the world is wrong and the UN are idiots..
The same UN they quote in Iran issues...Its laughable really...

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
nothing will happen and the united states will make sure of that. Israel commits war crimes, and america will defend them. It is a good sign that they actually come out and say Israel committed war crimes, But that will be the end of the story. This will get minimal news coverage, just look forward to some big news to bury the story.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by tracer7

This will get minimal news coverage, just look forward to some big news to bury the story.

I know what you're saying...

Like one Palistinian, displaced by illegal settlers who has the nerve to throw stones at an Israeli...

Ohh, and is accidently shot dead....

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalM

Well, the process is a general debate in the UN general assembly where they will vote on the merits of the report. I am not sure but I think they can refer it for prosecution Fortunately there is no Veto in the General Assembly so even if nothing comes of it Israel is put on notice they are being watched. The funny thing it Israel in it's response to this report remarked that they always follow international law..
I guess no one told them settlements were contrary to the law.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I've just read the story on the Guardian website and this just makes me angry.

"There is clear evidence to support prosecutions of the following crimes within the terms of article 147 of the fourth Geneva convention: wilful killing; torture or inhuman treatment; wilfully causing great suffering or serious injury to body or health," the report said

And what is Israel's response?

"Israel is a democratic and law-abiding country that carefully observes international law and, when need be, knows how to investigate itself," the foreign ministry said in a statement. "That is how Israel has always acted, and that is the way in which investigations were conducted following Operation Cast Lead, launched to protect the inhabitants of southern Israel from rockets and terror attacks carried out by Hamas from Gaza."

Grrrrrr!! **tears lumps of hair from head**

No Israel, you do not observe international law. You seem to have done everything you can since your moving outside of the agreed 1948 borders to actually laugh in the face of international law, while simultaneously pointing the finger at every other country around you about how they don't follow international law, when most of them do.

When will the world wake and actually do something about this??

top topics

join