It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aldous Huxley was correct not George Orwell

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Hi..S&F good post .I just finished watching this doc ..It might go well with this ..peace www.youtube.com...

Psywar is a doc that is 1 and a half hour long . Its the evolution of propaganda ..

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

S&F

Nice post

When we see it like that you can clearly see it has already happend.
But the fear of an orwell world in the back of our minds has pushed us to the huxley view.
We live in Huxley's world with the fear of living in orwells.

They both are chess pieces in the big game if you ask me.

We are now entering the cyber materialism of games like world of warcraft and other mmorpg.
The value on the items in game have become things you can purchase on ebay.

They have sweat shops in china that have people farming gold to sell in the real world for real money!!

edit on 24/9/10 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

edit on 24/9/10 by Ezappa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Orwell and Huxley were both right in so many ways. I think Orwell's writings are more hard-core and stark, but Huxley's are just as scary. I love them both. To think their respective masterpieces, 1984 and Brave New World were written over a half century ago!
Orwell coined the phrase
"Big brother is watching you.

Huxley said
"Cynical realism is the intelligent man's best excuse for doing nothing in an intolerable situation. "

Regarding our society here in America.:
When I observe, with sadness, many of my friends (and their children as well) who appear by all accounts to be healthy and happy, but are addicted to video games and teevee, I'm reminded of something Krishnamurti once said, which really hits close to home:

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I'm reminded of something Krishnamurti once said, which really hits close to home:

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Among my favorite quotations to provide at business meetings were people declare their firm belief that "This is the way it has always been done, we know it's wrong but it will never change."

Usually, depending on the speaker I follow up with:

"But I happen to know that it can, and most definitely will change."

Invariably the question comes back "Why?"

My answer is consistent: "Because those who make it stay 'this way' will eventually die."

edit on 24-9-2010 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

My answer is consistent: "Because those who make it stay 'this way' will eventually die."

The corporations and dynasties who profit from "making it this way", won't die. They live and continue on through the profit and power-grabbing of the institutions they establish and embody.

--airspoon

edit on 24-9-2010 by airspoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

True... which is why corporate 'citizenship' must be amended to compensate for their immortality. Corporation used to be bound by the charters certifying their legitimacy; that now is reduced to pro forma irrelevancies.

But corporations cannot exist without human direction and one day - somewhere - a corporate leader or board member, can invoke a change in their operational model...

It can happen. When it will happen is another matter entirely.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
This is an incredible and eye opening view of how the world works. It is sickening that everything discussed in those pictures is true, but I, like most of us on this site, can probably say we are more or less not part of the problem Huxley describes.

A well deserved S&F, even if you just are a messenger, and didn't come up with the concepts themselves.

edit on 24-9-2010 by inivux because: S&F

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhistpunk

well, it's not that people are complaining that their life is not good enough, or that when they are busy living life that they aren't happy

the problem is that tactics of control such as those mentioned in "a brave new world" and "1984" ARE BEING USED. they should never be used. they shouldn't even be real, and yet the world we live in is governed by both.

you might live in america where the huxley version of control, sensory and information overload, can easily be ignored and bliss can be found living whatever part of that simple life you might find yourself in

but their are people on the other side of the world experiencing the george orwell version of things, whose suffering cannot be ended because there is no knowledge of any other way

edit on 9/24/2010 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
both systems seem to be in effect around the world, anouther grand experiment. but to what purpose?

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Thanks for a most insiteful post! SnF!

My wife and I just went out for an evening smoke and were discussing your points.

Your right and wrong.

Huxley and Orwell were BOTH right.

There is both positive and negative stimulation at work. You get both sets of folks that way and the middle ground ( we "Winstons") are left to figure it all out.

Different mindsets must be attacked differently.

posted on Sep, 24 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

This video need to go to front page.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
We have been made ignorant by our plush lifestyles.. Ignorance isn't bliss it's death

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

you've fallen for the trap set by you by the mind forming forms of manipulation and controll that were engineered in sumeria. In that you've equated being human with being a member of a civilization. Can not you're form exist without the context which you are currently relating your existance to?

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
They were both wrong.

We win.

They loose.

Get up off your knees.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Excellent post!
Aldous Huxley was convinced that we would get a Scientific Dictatorship, try to listen to his "The Ultimate Revolution" lecture form Berkeley Language Center in '62.
Both systems are in effect, depending on where you live and your social status, locally and globally.
And yes, most of you forget the proles and the delta-epsilon accounted for most of the population in both books

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
What a brilliant cartoon! Thanks for this, I love both writers and their works. After reading both books (and only in the last two years did i do this), I have thought for a long time on which is more accurate or which I find more fearful. Like has been said, both are in effect in different elements, and orwells image angers me more, but huxleys is like a nightmare for me.

I hate the feeling now that I am the only one in my 'socaial' circle that sees things as I do, like the savage. The difference being that for now I cana ctively communicate with people of a similar mind through websites etc.

If I was alone like the savage, god I don't know what I would do. Just to mix it up, Huxleys' Island was one of my favourite reads of all time and just as relevant and accurate as Brave New World or 1984.

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish
reply to post by joechip

what exactly are you correcting or trying to correct?

i said that since the time of the summerians mankind has been under control, summerian civilization is usually agreed apon as the first civilization, i don't beleive i've made any error.

You indid maed a huge errror, and not just in spelling...

Sumer was the first KNOWN imperial civilization, with a top-down hierarchy, and male-dominated, but there were civilizations tens of thousands of years before Sumer, and plenty of others while it existed. Even the sumerians themselves, in the few stories they left behind, like in the "Songs of Gilgamesh", talk about earlier, ante-deluvian civilizations that where not much related to theirs. Like the one on Crete and the modern Santorini, or Atlantis, or the very old ones in India, China and Africa... The farther you look back in History the darker and lesser certain it gets.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
But if we live happily till the very end, what does it matter?

If we get to eat what we want and play on our iPhones, then why should something else prevent me from being distracted?

I think what we fear most is the "transition" from the Brave New World to Nineteen-Eighty Four.

People's feeble minds won't be able to take it so they are left in a catatonic state.

Well, depends on how you define "happiness", or it you were born on the "right" side of the social gap, i.e. in some clean, rich European suburb or in a slum in Haiti. If all that you ever learned of existence is a relation of marketing, then I suppose it can fit you... but will you feel happy with your life anyways? Or always running after this happiness, like, say, a dog after a sausage suspended in the air by a machine programmed to enslave him/her?

The rule by alienation is what is defined in these two great books.

People don't have more a feeble mind than those who possess, and live in the constant fear of losing every power they've got, since they were born in the "upper" side of the class war. This is why they use all the tools they have in store to enslave the masses on a daily basis. Without their big circus, their empire would fall, very easily.

Frailty is a fact of mankind.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It was Burma and not India where the hanging I mentioned took place...my mistake. Here's Orwell's account of the scene...

It was about forty yards to the gallows. I watched the bare brown back of the prisoner marching in front of me. He walked clumsily with his bound arms, but quite steadily, with that bobbing gait of the Indian who never straightens his knees. At each step his muscles slid neatly into place, the lock of hair on his scalp danced up and down, his feet printed themselves on the wet gravel. And once, in spite of the men who gripped him by each shoulder, he stepped slightly aside to avoid a puddle on the path.

It is curious, but till that moment I had never realized what it means to destroy a healthy, conscious man. When I saw the prisoner step aside to avoid the puddle, I saw the mystery, the unspeakable wrongness, of cutting a life short when it is in full tide. This man was not dying, he was alive just as we were alive. All the organs of his body were working --bowels digesting food, skin renewing itself, nails growing, tissues forming--all toiling away in solemn foolery. His nails would still be growing when he stood on the drop, when he was falling through the air with a tenth of a second to live. His eyes saw the yellow gravel and the grey walls, and his brain still remembered, foresaw, reasoned--reasoned even about puddles. He and we were a party of men walking together, seeing, hearing, feeling, understanding the same world; and in two minutes, with a sudden snap, one of us would be gone--one mind less, one world less.
Orwell: A Hanging

Orwell was an inhibited man and not given to sentimental displays in his real life. He was against Fascism (fought in the Spanish War against them), Nazism (hated Mosely in Britain), capital punishment and big business. He deplored the reality of so many millions across the world being born into lives where they'd struggle to survive each day.

Although he's a kind of hero in my eyes, he was still human and subject to pride, stupidity and embarrassment. A couple of private anecdotes made me PMSL. Still, any person who can watch the execution of another and empathise with them whilst also seeing the act of execution as a poor comment on all humans is heroic in some essence.

posted on Sep, 25 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

you are definitely correct about civilizations that existed before our last "great flood", and i agree it is possible the systems of control talked about in this thread existed during those civilizations, however, i have never found any information regarding these civilizations being under hidden control

but ihave heard rumors around that there was not just one past 'great flood' that there were actually a couple, and i would suspect that would mean the whole process of our race reaching advanced technology and thriving and then being demolished and starting over again has happened more than once

so based on the idea if those rumors were true, then the secret hands that use the huxley and orwell methods TODAY, probably did exist in the last civilizations like atlantis,

but i would reserve the possibility that perhaps this time around could in fact be the first time that the masses are not aware of this cycle and kept in the dark about the true past. this could be the first time that secret societies were formed for whatever reason to keep this a secret for some reason, and if that were the case i beleive the earliest records of masonic-like material or material that bear resemblance in some way to mason paraphenelia would be the summerian civilization

thanks for pointing that out

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join