It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Ape Species Discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   

The Yeti hasn’t been formally recognized. A new gorilla or chimp species hasn’t been found in deepest Africa. A new species of orangutan has not issued from Asia. But the breaking news today that a new species of ape, indeed, that a new species of gibbon has been recognized, is quite remarkable on its own merits. Like orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees and bonobos, gibbons belong to the apes, man’s closest relative.

German scientists have announced on September 21, 2010, that they had discovered a new rare and endangered ape species in the tropical rainforests between Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. It has been identified by its distinctive song.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b413608e98f3.jpg[/atsimg]

Many species number only around 100 individuals, said Roos. Scientists currently have “absolutely no idea” how many of the new species might be alive, but are conducting further study to determine this, he told AFP.

“Only if we know where which species is found and how many individuals there are can we start with serious conservation actions,” summarized DPZ’s Christian Roos.

News of the discovery was published in the Vietnamese Journal of Primatology.

www.cryptomundo.com...
Theres more information and pictures in the article.

I love when new species are discovered.
Discoveries like this show that cryptids, like the Bigfoot, for example, may exist. (I for one do believe they exist)

I found this part of the article pretty interesting.

The distinctive song “serves to defend territory or might even be a precursor of the music humans make,” the statement added.

Thats pretty neat that they might be making their own music with their "songs", however if I hear them singing a might want to get out of the area, haha.

I cant wait to see what species we discover next.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 22 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by FoxMulder91

Pretty interesting stuff. Just goes to show that there are still a great deal of species to be discovered despite our best efforts at decimating habitats around the world.

And now the BBC continues with our rendition of a Tale of Two Cities specially adapted for gibbons.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a796897fbd85.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
That is adorable

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Thanks Fox, S+F for you

Kyle

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by FoxMulder91
I love when new species are discovered.
Discoveries like this show that cryptids, like the Bigfoot, for example, may exist. (I for one do believe they exist)

I cant wait to see what species we discover next.

Couldn't agree more!

Starred & Flagged

new topics

top topics

join