It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dieting and Exercise Aren't Effective Fat Loss Tools

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Originally posted by buddhistpunk
The amount they eat will be proportional to their size.I will not be tons of it.

Not true.

Stop arguing over semantics...
You don't have a clue what you are talking about.You don't seem to have any knowledge on the subject yet you will argue.Ignorant people like yourself are very irritating.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman
This is a great topic and a good thread. Thanks OP.

I grew up eating bread, fry bread, cheap loaves of white crappy bread. Sometimes that is all we had. And as an adult, I hung on to eating bread due to carb cravings. I once tried an experiment and eliminated alot of white flour and sugar in my diet, including some wheat and brown rice. It only took a week, and I stopped feeling sick. I dropped a few pounds rather quickly. It's also good to mention that the diet soda is just as bad as regular. Took me awhile to get away from it. The diet soda is really a contributor to weight issues, I think.

Again, not true.

Eating bread will not make you fat, unless your eating a loaf a day. One can of diet soda a day will also not make you fat, it's that you americans drink it all day, everyday.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I weighed 200 pounds in June of 2008 and with right amount of exercise and self control of eating, I was weighing 143 pounds the next June.

If I could do it, anyone can.

SO yes, dieting and exercise does indeed burn fat.

However, there is an obesity epidemic in this country due the cheap prices of fast food and the high severe prices of organic foods not affordable to low income families...but that's a whole different topic as it's an economic one.

Oh and I have to mention I hate the folks who blame it on genetics. It's a lazy cop out for being irresponsible for your own actions. It's genetic because fat parents feed their kids crap, therefore, they take after them and get fat as well. That's how it's genetic.

Eating - it's all about moderation.

Exercise - get some form of it every day.

edit on 23-9-2010 by SeventhSeal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

You don't have a clue what you are talking about.You don't seem to have any knowledge on the subject yet you will argue.Ignorant people like yourself are very irritating.

Really?

You don't seem to have the ability to type more than one sentence replies ...

So a bodybuilder will eat the same proportionate amount of carbs when they are in a cutting cycle as they would when they were on a bulking cycle?

Go grab a copy of Muscular Development and have a read on the basics mate.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunder heart woman
This is a great topic and a good thread. Thanks OP.

I grew up eating bread, fry bread, cheap loaves of white crappy bread. Sometimes that is all we had. And as an adult, I hung on to eating bread due to carb cravings. I once tried an experiment and eliminated alot of white flour and sugar in my diet, including some wheat and brown rice. It only took a week, and I stopped feeling sick. I dropped a few pounds rather quickly. It's also good to mention that the diet soda is just as bad as regular. Took me awhile to get away from it. The diet soda is really a contributor to weight issues, I think.

Again, not true.

Eating bread will not make you fat, unless your eating a loaf a day. One can of diet soda a day will also not make you fat, it's that you americans drink it all day, everyday.

Yet another completely ignornt comment.Do yourself a favour mate and get off this thread you are embarrasing yourself.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Ok you think 40% protein is a lot? I have 150 pound lean mass so i will go for 150g of protein which is 600 calories. I will have 150g carbs which is 600 calories, only 1200 so far! A typical days diet would be.

breakfast : All bran with soy milk or 2 whole eggs and 2 whites with 1 slice how meal! - 20g protein 20g carbs
brunch : protein shake with added actimal - 20g protein 20g carbs
lunch : tuna/chicken breast sandwich/salad - 40g protein 40g carbs
in between : protein shake with slice of wholemeal toast and cottage cheese - 20g protein 20g carbs
dinner : meat and greens with small serving of starchy carbs : 30g protein 20g carbs
before bed : protein shake or 1/2 tin tuna 20g protein

easy!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by tonypazzo
2 weeks ago i began cutting sugars/breads/pastas from my diet and i feel fantastic. its hard, because being italian, i love bread and pasta, but now i treat carbs like poison.

Yea, like I said its a lifestyle change. I used to be the same. I used to have almost no fruit and veg in my fridge and lots of coke and potato crisps. Now I crave salad and coke and chips tastes like crap. Its a learned lifestyle.

Ive also recently discovered low-gi bread. I have that for lunch and it keeps me going all afternoon.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

You should maybe get your hormones checked. Testosterone might be causing it.

1. Do you have a fit day account? If not sign up for one
2. You seem like you have tried everything, maybe you should go to bodybuilding.com go into the forum section, read all the stickies in the nutrition, fat loss sections
3. Do you know how many calories you require each day to lose weight, maintain weight etc. If not you def need to do this.
4. Regarding point 1, when you get into the habbit of recording calories it may seem tediious at first, but after a while it is second nature and you no how many caloris are in each piece of food without checking
5. THIS IS IN BOLD. STOP THE HIKING. Long distances equals massive spike in Cortisol, which depresse testoserone and will cause you toi gain fat easily and lose all you rmuscle.
6. Replace the hiking with hill sprints if you can 3x per week. Hill sprints are very easy on your body, compared to normal sprints.
7. Start weight training, this will boost testosterone, and increase your metablolism.

If you have any questions feel free to email me at [email protected], currently studying nutriin at uni, it is my last year and am more then willing to help you and others that need help. Just email me.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
First of all, not all fitness professionals are ignorant on this subject matter. Controlling insulin IS one of the most important factors in inducing fat loss.

Second for those of you who say that bread and pasta are necessary for our daily energy needs, do your research. Your body can produce glucose from protein for one. Daily carbohydrate intake can easily be met through vegetables and fruits. Not to mention that fruit and veggie sources are MUCH more nutrient dense than any grain product.

Just to make it easy on you, here is a comparison of 200 kcal of fruits and veggie sources to 200 kcal of grains.
hbfser.wordpress.com...

Grain products are enriched with nutrients because their processing makes them void of any nutrient density.

Grains are very pro inflammatory foods and in their natural state grains cannot even be digested by the human body.

Lecthin, Gluten, Phytates. Google.

Now tell me they are necessary for human consumption.

edit on 23-9-2010 by Mav3rick because: Information addition

edit on 23-9-2010 by Mav3rick because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Just as a side note to those that may be unaware.

When a product says "Low Fat" on the label, leave it on the shelf! (Especially milk!)

Here is why:

In most foods that have the fats removed, they simply replace the fats with sugars and salts.

Wait. What?

Think that one through.

They replace the fat with sugar. Why would they do that?

Because the fat gives the food it's flavor. By removing the flavor from the food they have to do something to fix it. So they add sugar.

But isn't that even worse than having the fat?

YES!

Especially in diabetics and insulin resistant people.

It is another way of keeping you SICK.

Lets take the example of milk:
nutritiondata.self.com...

Whole Milk, 1 Cup
Calories 146
Total Fat 8g
Sat Fat 5g
Trans fat 0g
Chol 24g
Sodium 98g
Total Carb 13g
Dietary fiber 0g
Sugars 13g
Protein 8g

Smik Milk:

Skim Milk, 1 Cup

Calories 138
Total fat 5g
Sat Fat 3g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholest 20g
Sodium 145g
Total Carbs 14g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 13g
Protein 10g

So you can compare the two, they reduced the fat and replaced it with sugars and sodium. But one question, where does the extra carb come from?

As you can see there is almost no difference in the nutritional labels, except the added sugars and sodium, but the fat grams are not dramatically changed.

When on a low carb diet the best choice of the two would be the Whole Milk, but better yet, a reduced amount of whole cream would be even better:

Heavy Cream, 1 Cup

Calories 414
Total Fat 44
Sat Fat 28
Trans Fat 0
Cholest 164
Sodium 46
Total Carb 3
Dietary Fiber 0
Sugar 0
Protein 2

Now, you see the difference in calories and fat content, but keeping in mind a few things, lets go forward.

One, higher fat content in low carb is necessary because you will no longer be burning carbohydrates and your stores of Glucagon will be used, so the dietary intake of fat is immediately burned for body fuel.

You will use less because fat satisifies hunger, so you will naturally be sating hunger and reducing intake. This is a happy and pleasant side effect of low carb eating. You will be fuller for longer, thereby eating less. Most people on low carb diets cannot even eat their whole meals before they get full.

By contrast, using the full amount on a non-low carb diet, you are fully taking in all the calories all the fat and all the sugars, which in turn the body will turn most all of it to fat because the cells are starving but closed to the fuel, and the body thinks it is in starvation mode. Most of those foods will go to fat storage.

To worsen the problem, reducing calorie intake and portion amounts, you drive the body further into the fat storage process, which is why a LOT of heavy undiagnoised people will SWEAR they only eat a small amount and usually only once per day. They are not lying to you.

By stark contrast, a ketotic diet will burn dietary intake of fat and not store it, and once that easily available fuel is gone, it turns to the fat stores on the body. Meanwhile, you assure it does not turn to the easily used muscle tissues by miantaining a normal dietary protein level.

Ketone test sticks when used in conjunction with a low carb diet will assure you that your dietary intake of fat is used when testing is done right after a meal. When used a couple hours after a meal, the stick will show the body stores are bing used. Testing consistantly with the sticks will also divulge any problems with the diet, or hidden things in foods you thought were ok.

The main idea here is to learn how to read the Nutrition Labels, and find hiiden problems, like outlined above with low fat, fat reduced foods.

If you yourself go and compare low fat dressings to whole fat ones, along with mayo and a whole host of other foods, you will glaringly obvious times where the low fat means high sugar.

It is deception at it's finest.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

reply to post by Alora

I apologise, I didn't read your first post and as such took the post I replied to as meaning that you didn't have a medical condition that's making you gain weight.

The diet you follow wouldn't make anyone without a condition making them fat gain weight. I hope you find a solution for your problems.

Thank you. I apologize as well. I get defensive.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

You agree with the op?

From reading your story i can see you have tried every diet going, been a vegan and even fasted for a week just drinking water. Well what can i say, you have destroyed you metabolism completely by wasting your fat burning muscle!.

I will guarantee that if you follow this regime you will lose weight!

First find out you DCI (daily calorific intake) and go for no more than a 500 calorie deficit.
Start some HEAVY weight training with 3x 60 minute cardio sessions a week.
Follow a 40/40/20 diet with your protein being 1g per gram of lean muscle mass.
No carbs before bed!

EXCUSES!

edit on 23-9-2010 by tommyb0y because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by kimish

Sorry to say but most of it is psychological. Most people don't want to be as active as needed or eat the right foods now a days.

maybe it is psychological, but i won.t say that people don.t want to eat the right food.
i guess most people already know what the right foods are, but it is one thing to know about it and the other thing is to break with your life style.
we grew up that way.

if a child is sad or hurts herself, most mothers please her with some candy - candy = carbs = insulin

that.s a vicious circle. we are trained like that and we want to give it up, it doesn.t work as we wanted it and so we please ourself with some candy ……… (even potato chips qualify as candy in this regard)

and it seems to me as if the body wants somehow the stuff that is unhealthy for us, the carbs that push up the insulin which high level will block the cells ………

somebody said that people don.t get enough sleep
when this happens to me i have such a desire for energy that i need to eat
i want to eat all the energy i couldn.t gain because of to less sleep - and it has to be carbs

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by tommyb0y

This is exactly what i said, but hill sprints would be even better than 60min of cardio, but if you can't physically do hill sprints the cardio is fine. Just limit it to 3xper week of no more than 60min.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by tommyb0y

I'd say it was alot in terms of carbs compared to what the average person would consume.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by tommyb0y
reply to post by Libertygal

Although not efficient, Protein can be broken down into individual amino acid units which can enter the TCA system and produce ATP as an energy source when no carbs are present, so you will still have insulin spikes whatever you eat!

I have proven it through constant glucose testing. My blood sugars leveled out to a constant, not going below 90 and never above 98. I never get glucose spikes nor drops from a low carb diet. My body consistatly uses dietary fat and body fat for fuel and my ketone test strips stay a nice pretty pinkish to purple.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Of course you need a calorie surplus to gain weight you idiot but you dont need tons of carbs and not in the form of pasta and bread you fool.
Been traing for ten ten years mate and have no use for muscle building mags.I know what works and what doesn't.Its lazy ignorant fools like yourself who buy the mags never get anywhere and develop dumb opinions on the subject.

Well done, you managed to write more than one line!

Your making yourself look stupid, no where have a stated that you need "tons of carbs" or that you need to eat loads of pasta and bread.

This thread isn't about bodybuilding Dorian Yates (do you know who he is???
) it's about general nutrition and diet.

I'm glad you've been training for "ten ten" years, does that make you 100 years old?

It seems you need to resort to name calling and all your doing is making yourself look silly, maybe you should post us pictures of your incredible physique and show us how your "knowledge" has helped you?

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Thats what I love about discussions on fitness.Everyone has an opinion yet very few have put it into practice and achived anything.The, I have tried every diet statement is the best.I heard a personal trainer put it best "fat people dont wan't to be fit they wan't to be comfortable"

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Of course you need a calorie surplus to gain weight you idiot but you dont need tons of carbs and not in the form of pasta and bread you fool.
Been traing for ten ten years mate and have no use for muscle building mags.I know what works and what doesn't.Its lazy ignorant fools like yourself who buy the mags never get anywhere and develop dumb opinions on the subject.

Well done, you managed to write more than one line!

Your making yourself look stupid, no where have a stated that you need "tons of carbs" or that you need to eat loads of pasta and bread.

This thread isn't about bodybuilding Dorian Yates (do you know who he is???
) it's about general nutrition and diet.

I'm glad you've been training for "ten ten" years, does that make you 100 years old?

It seems you need to resort to name calling and all your doing is making yourself look silly, maybe you should post us pictures of your incredible physique and show us how your "knowledge" has helped you?

Yeah you knowledge is outstanding dorian yates and muscular developent.Skim over those in a tv mag.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join