It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dieting and Exercise Aren't Effective Fat Loss Tools

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by tonypazzo
wow, this is a great thread! awesome job, op, very well written and thought out.

2 weeks ago i began cutting sugars/breads/pastas from my diet and i feel fantastic. its hard, because being italian, i love bread and pasta, but now i treat carbs like poison.

There's nothing wrong with bread & pasta, the human body needs carbohydrates for energy!

As long as your not eating a loaf of bread a day or a kilogram of pasta then you'll be fine, if you want to follow the no carbs after 6:00PM rule then fine but I wouldn't totally eliminate carbs out of your diet.

If pasta was that bad then why do bodybuilders eat tons of it?

Because it gives them energy and is good for you!

You could also switch to brown bread/pasta/rice but seriously, there's so many misinformed people in this thread, having pasta a couple of times a week isn't going to make anyone fat!

Maybe if your layering it with jugs full of creamy cheese sauce then yeah, but pasta in itself is pretty healthy.

A homemade tuna pasta salad can be made to be incredibly healthy...

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Im glad you got to insulin at the end there because I was about to pounce on you thread.Insulin is the main factor to fat loss and gain.Simple carbs trigger an insulin responce placing your body in fat storing mode and you cannot lose fat and gain fat at the same time.Look at a typical bodybuilder diet, it consists of complex carbs,high protein and essential fats.Nothing that would trigger big peaks in insulin and ofcourse having alot of lean muscle tissue maintains a high metabolism.Hence the key to losing weight is to lift weights, eat plenty of lean protein and complex carbs.
In my opinion this is why alcohol is the biggest culprit in getting fat.It has nothing to do with the alcohol calorie content but more to do with what your body does with the alcohol.When drinking alcohol you body converts it to acetate, wich your body switches to for its main fuel source.The simple sugars trigger an insulin responce and all other calories are stored as fat because your body has no other use for them due to the acetate and ofcourse you eat like crap when your drunk.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Alora

You can try walking more than 30 minutes because that is NOT enough! More excuses!

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Originally posted by tonypazzo
wow, this is a great thread! awesome job, op, very well written and thought out.

2 weeks ago i began cutting sugars/breads/pastas from my diet and i feel fantastic. its hard, because being italian, i love bread and pasta, but now i treat carbs like poison.

There's nothing wrong with bread & pasta, the human body needs carbohydrates for energy!

As long as your not eating a loaf of bread a day or a kilogram of pasta then you'll be fine, if you want to follow the no carbs after 6:00PM rule then fine but I wouldn't totally eliminate carbs out of your diet.

If pasta was that bad then why do bodybuilders eat tons of it?

Because it gives them energy and is good for you!

You could also switch to brown bread/pasta/rice but seriously, there's so many misinformed people in this thread, having pasta a couple of times a week isn't going to make anyone fat!

Maybe if your layering it with jugs full of creamy cheese sauce then yeah, but pasta in itself is pretty healthy.

A homemade tuna pasta salad can be made to be incredibly healthy...

Bodybuilders dont eat tons of it.They eat complex carbs such as brown rice and sweet potatoes in controlled amounts.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Alora

I apologise, I didn't read your first post and as such took the post I replied to as meaning that you didn't have a medical condition that's making you gain weight.

The diet you follow wouldn't make anyone without a condition making them fat gain weight. I hope you find a solution for your problems.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Yes, we already know insulin is a cause of fat gain. However, go to any bodybuilding forum or do some research, it has only a minimal effect on fat loss/gain. You can blame insulin all you want, but when it comes down to it, if you eat more calories then you use for energy you will gain fat. And if you eat less calories then you need throughout the day you will lose fat.

For people on this site, i suggest if you want to control insulin. Break your meals into 6 spread evenly throughout the day:
1st three meals of the day Protein, Carbs, Fat, Try get low GI carbs here (oatmeal, brown rice, brown bread, apples etc)
Last three meals Protein and Fats ---------------NO CARBS------------------(carbs from green veggies are ok)

If you do this you feel healthy and most likely will lose weight.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Actually body builders don't eat tons of carbs mate, only pre workout. Most builders these days either Keto diet or follow a 40c/40p/20f diet!

These guys are in the know, not doctors or nutritionists!

edit on 23-9-2010 by tommyb0y because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddhistpunk
Bodybuilders dont eat tons of it.They eat complex carbs such as brown rice and sweet potatoes in controlled amounts.

What's your point?

I've already mentioned brown rice, bread and pasta. I've known plenty of bodybuilders that ate a heck of a lot of pasta.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
If anyone is interested I suggest people look up the Paleo diet, and read up on that. It is the most commonsense diet around.

And to the person to that said bodybuilders eat lots of pasta. Bodybuilders do not care too much what they eat as long as they are getting the required calories in for the day (eg. eating over there daily calories required to build muscle, where a normal person these extra calories would go to fat, for a bodybuilder most of it will go to muscle because they are lifting weights). Then when they want to lose weight (get ripped for summer) they eat under ther daily neccesary calories.

CALORIES IN VS CALORIES OUT!

link   

Yeh maybe they do, when they are bulking and pre workout like i said. But the aim of bulking is to GAIN WEIGHT!You won't see any builders eating loads of carbs when they are on a cut or at least no carbs over protein consumption, i think i know mate because i build myself and have done for ten years!

link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Aren't the majority of carbs are based primarily from plant fruits, grains, and nuts? There's dairy as well. So in your diet plan, you propose eating mainly protein and fat and no carbs. But the thing is, natural foods such as beans contain a balanced ratio of fat, carbs, and protein. What if, down the road, an alternative disease arises from eating too much protein and fat?

Link for more info

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by tommyb0y

Actually body builders don't eat tons of carbs mate, only pre workout. Most builders these days either Keto diet or follow a 40c/40p/20f diet!

These guys are in the know, not doctors or nutritionists!

40 percent of carbohydrates compared to the amount the average individual consumes is still ALOT.

Obviously those carbs don't just come from pasta but I'd still bet my house that a bodybuilder eats more pasta than your average human being off the street. Same with brown, tuna, whey protein, egg yolks, etc

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

What's your point?

I've already mentioned brown rice, bread and pasta. I've known plenty of bodybuilders that ate a heck of a lot of pasta.

The amount they eat will be proportional to their size.I will not be tons of it.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by tommyb0y

Yeh maybe they do, when they are bulking and pre workout like i said. But the aim of bulking is to GAIN WEIGHT!You won't see any builders eating loads of carbs when they are on a cut or at least no carbs over protein consumption, i think i know mate because i build myself and have done for ten years!

Come on mate, I never mentioned anything about said bodybuilder being on a cutting cycle. Of course they limit carbs when trying to shed fat in preperation for a contest or show, the point being is that I didn't need to mention that as the majority of people reading this thread wouldn't know what I was talking about and thus it was an irrelevant point to make and easier to say that bodybuilders eat a lot of pasta.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Oh yeah I ment to add, what is this doing on a conspiracy website.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by socrates271

Heart disease??? I think it already exists.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

The amount they eat will be proportional to their size.I will not be tons of it.

Not true.

Stop arguing over semantics...

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This is a great topic and a good thread. Thanks OP.

I grew up eating bread, fry bread, cheap loaves of white crappy bread. Sometimes that is all we had. And as an adult, I hung on to eating bread due to carb cravings. I once tried an experiment and eliminated alot of white flour and sugar in my diet, including some wheat and brown rice. It only took a week, and I stopped feeling sick. I dropped a few pounds rather quickly. It's also good to mention that the diet soda is just as bad as regular. Took me awhile to get away from it. The diet soda is really a contributor to weight issues, I think.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I have been battling my weight for about 18 years now since my early twenties. Just last year I lost 100 lbs. Now I have regained 70 lbs back. Everything the OP says is true. I have experienced it first hand.

I hike nearly every weekend in mountainous terrain at minimum 4 miles round trip, often much longer. The biggest hike I did was 10 miles round trip with many changes in elevation of 800ft (this I did at 100lbs overweight). People who see me up there hiking are always shocked and usually think its probably my first time - that someone drug me up there on a hike. When in reality its the other way around. I have been hiking for about 4 years now and I am the one who drags everyone else along. The people I meet think I'm doing it to lose weight. They don't realize I used to walk 4 miles a day just to keep from gaining weight
I hike because I like it.

I have done many diets. The last one where I lost 100lbs was the HCG diet. Very rapid weight loss. I know I hear it all the time - its about life style changes not fad diets. I was even a vegan for 2 years. I lost about 30 lbs then leveled out. A fat vegan. Can you imagine? What do think people thought when I told them I was a vegan? Quite frankly they didn't believe me. But let me tell you my wife and I were the strictest vegans.

I have fasted for a week on water only. And I have done many 3 or 4 day fasts. I have very powerful will power. I have done very difficult diets. Most people would cave after only a week or two. Being thin or fat is not about will power. In my opinion I think many who struggle with obesity have much stronger wills because of it.

It is very discouraging to lose all your weight and be thin then regain it. But really what could I do? Not eat? For how long? Ever? You would be absolutely amazed at how little food will cause me to gain weight. Do you think I didn't battle every bit of weight gain on the way back up? Do you know how hard it was to lose it in the first place? Why would I not try my hardest to keep what was so difficultly won? Let me tell you - you can only "just eat less" for only so long. Being constantly hungry and constantly depriving yourself while watching all the thin people around you eat whatever they want as much as they want will really wear at you. Hearing all the "advice" from thin people who have never experienced any weight problem tends to grate after a while. Or even worse hearing the thin people talk about all their restraint and how good they normally are while they eat cake and ice cream.

I know how to be thin. It's a simple formula. I'm a male of 5'9" and weigh 260lbs. To be thin I would have to walk 4 miles a day every day with out fail - miss one and it will be that much harder to keep it going. Then I would have to eat about 1200 calories a day. I know this because I've done it. The only time I have not gained weight while being close to my ideal weight is to be constantly, and I mean constantly, hungry, always, always eating less than I want or need. I also need to be constantly exercising (walking has been the most effective). How long could I keep that up? Months? I have. Years?

I really don't know what to do anymore. It sucks. I hiked much better at 190 than 290. I want to be thin. I have strong will power - if only it were so simple - but I can't starve myself indefinitely. I feel trapped. I am literally trying to fight my own body - and it ultimately always wins. My body wants to be fat and I want to be thin! What I think or consciously decide doesn't matter. I make myself thin despite what my body wants and my body responds by making me feel miserable, weak and crave food. What can I do when my body holds all the cards?

I guess I'll be dieting again soon since all my efforts to just maintain have failed. I hate the way people treat me when I'm overweight - ignored, irrelevant, stupid. You know I went down to 190 just last Christmas. I was "thin" to everyone I met. I was treated like a totally different person - and no it wasn't just me or my confidence - it was them and their perception of me. My whole quality of life is less because I'm 70 lbs overweight. If I really could do it I would starve myself every day just to have those good feelings of being thin - there is just not enough will power in the world for that though. Its called yo-yo dieting for a reason. I can starve for only so long.

edit on 23-9-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

edit: PS - and to all those "its a life style change" - no your kidding right? I mean who that has battled their weight doesn't know that. Who has dieted repeatedly and gained and lost over 500 lbs during their life time doesn't want the change to be permanent? But what "life style" change can lose 100lbs and keep it off forever? I'd really like to know! Can you do it endlessly? Believe me I've been searching and doing. You can do things to lose weight and keep it off but can you do those things indefinitely?

The real problem here is that very few are really interested in finding the real problem of obesity and the real solution. Everyone already knows its just because people eat to much and don't exercise enough

edit on 23-9-2010 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Can't buy into some of this...I teach fitness and have literally reversed the effects of severe chronic asthma with diet and exercise!Also have kept arthritis and bone-loss under control,issues after a certain age.
I have seen the results of lifestyle changes literally transform people mentally physically and socially.
Food IS a drug of sorts in the ways it affects your brain and body and there IS no simple solution for all: you need to find what works for you.Releasing those endomorphins when you work out really enhances your sexy too!
Portion control is HUGE! I stay away from processed foods,meat,wheat,sugar and dairy and workout daily doing something fun and am literally in the best shape of my life.
"The difference between ordinary and extraordinary people is discipline..."
Vince Lombardi
Sorry but diet and exercise DO matter for your overall health and that includes losing or maintaining your weight.
It's dammed hard some days but worth it !

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join