It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dieting and Exercise Aren't Effective Fat Loss Tools

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

It's much more than over eating. It's what you are eating, when you are eating it and exercise to burn off the unwanted calories and carbohydrates. It's all a science.

Most people either A). don't want to exert the energy needed to lose weight B). they are uneducated about it or C). they simply can't find the time. (note I said can't find the time as opposed to don't have the time
) The norm usually fall into both A and B.

edit on 23-9-2010 by kimish because: edit

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

I am hated by the fitness industry, because I call them out on their small minded BS.

When I started on this work no-one was behind us.

www.vibration-training-advice.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Note:

(1) We are the ONLY animal that needs to exercise voluntarily to stay healthy. All other animals just respond to their environment .Aka.. Involuntary reflexes

(2) We are also the only animal to suffer from Type2 Diabetes.

(3) We are the only animal that collects large amounts of viscera body fat.

We have to imprison and domesticate animals to simulate any of our health issues.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Because that garbage works, I dont have the best metabolism i can sit around a year eat what i want get up to a soft 240 lbs and in 4 months time be down to a solid 200 easy. It is all about eating right and doing cardio. By cardio i dont mean a slow paced 3.0mph walk for 15 mins a day. I mean busting your butt and busting your butt consistently. Jogging everyday, taking up boxing , hiking, cycling. You gotta really put the work in and most the people i see who say they cant lose weight arent putting forth a REAL effort. They eat half assed and do a few minutes of slow paced cardio every other day and expect the weight to fall off. Its all about consistency and dedication. Heck most people who hire a personal trainer just do so for him to tell them they are doing a great job even when they are slacking and putting forth a half assed effort. Consistently eat good non processed foods, watch your calories and esp carb intake. Eat low GI carbs and sweat sweat sweat cardio it up! Dont expect to walk a 20 min mile a day, cheat every few days, and lose a bunch of weight.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Alora

My doctor says the same thing but offers no real advice past that. He's just getting me warmed up for the money I'd have to spend on a nutritionist.

I got my thyroid checked and the doctor took back what he said! He was like, "Well, you can't lose weight if your thyroid isn't working" and I told him "But you told me all that time to lose weight and exercise!"

What an asshole. I knocked off 10lbs easily but I'm struggling to maintain/lose more. I'm going to try and eat better because I'm already active enough at work.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

You may think your active enough at work but you may not be. I don't know what you do but I'm just throwing that out their because I hear that comment all the time. The key is to maintain an elevated heart rate for extended periods of time, like 20 minutes straight without a break.

I'm sorry to hear about your thyroid, that can really cause havoc. You need to get your nutrition down to a T. I suggest browsing the net before getting a nutritionist unless you have health insurance that covers a nutritionist than I would go with a nutritionist. And cardio, cardio, cardio.

edit on 23-9-2010 by kimish because: edit

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
One more thing that bugs the # out of me would you get dental advice from a dentist who had rotten teeth? Ok why listen to someone who isnt in great shape about losing weight or getting buff?

edit on 23-9-2010 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

hink about this, how many forms of exercise did our grandparents do that were taught at school or Uni and promoted throughout peoples lives that exercise was important, that we do today. Why don't you ask them and see what they say.

You're once again proving my point.

They were hard workers, yes. But how many overweight firefighters have you seen? A lot. Pro-Football players? A lot (linemen). Landscaping dudes? A lot.

You can't sit there and attribute our grandparent's healthiness to their hardworking jobs. That's silly. You're, once again, ignoring the tons of epidemiological data showing populations that are extremely sedentary and slim (Prewesternized Inuit women), and others that are extremely active and overweight (the Pima).

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:44 AM
link   
No food just used to be too expensive for the average person to over-eat. It wasn't until the 1960s when food prices started to drop and over eating even became an option. .

Apart from the odd medical or genetic issue, which only effects a very small % Obesity = Over-nutrition and under- stimulation.

Pointing towards isolated minorities and using that as an excuse
helps no-one.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
Note:

(1) We are the ONLY animal that needs to exercise voluntarily to stay healthy. All other animals just respond to their environment .Aka.. Involuntary reflexes

(2) We are also the only animal to suffer from Type2 Diabetes.

(3) We are the only animal that collects large amounts of viscera body fat.

We have to imprison and domesticate animals to simulate any of our health issues.

And we're animals too!

We also don't need to exercise voluntarily (because of compensatory changes in involuntary movements, heat exchange and metabolism)

Wild animals consume their natural, evolutionary diet. We, on the other had, don't.

No visceral fat, but plenty of subcutaneous fat (body fat) in hibernating animals.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by ker2010

Because that garbage works, I dont have the best metabolism i can sit around a year eat what i want get up to a soft 240 lbs and in 4 months time be down to a solid 200 easy. It is all about eating right and doing cardio.

Don't confuse eating right with eating less. Two completely different ideas.

By cardio i dont mean a slow paced 3.0mph walk for 15 mins a day. I mean busting your butt and busting your butt consistently.

I was very clear that exercise with the intention to burn calories is a joke. Exercise that improves insulin sensitivity works, but not because of a caloric deficit.

Consistently eat good non processed foods, watch your calories and esp carb intake. Eat low GI carbs and sweat sweat sweat cardio it up! Dont expect to walk a 20 min mile a day, cheat every few days, and lose a bunch of weight.

OMG, you just agreed with me. The points I made in the OP were about energy balance. I'm saying that quantity is irrelevant; quality, on the other hand, is VERY important.

Thanks for agreeing.

edit on 23-9-2010 by DevolutionEvolvd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Rev up your thermogenics at the gym and release the hormones.

Work those large muscles Legs Butt and Back.

Goes especially for the fat muscle heads with the stick legs and huge upper bodies, Ya need to move away from the bench and the arm training guys

edit on 23-9-2010 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   

I'm not referring to odd happenstances. I'm referring to the vast amount of data that exists.

People overeat because they're fat, sir. THAT is a fact. You can try and wiggle your way around it all you want, but it's a biochemical fact. This happens because of a metabolic hormone imbalance....usually insulin.

No food just used to be too expensive for the average person to over-eat. It wasn't until the 1960s when food prices started to drop and over eating even became an option.

Well, we did indeed begin to eat more. And food prices went down.

HOWEVER: Almost all of our caloric increase is contributed to industrial seed oils and carbohydrates, two macronutrients that contribute heavily to hyperinsulinemia.

And price went down on....go ahead and say it with me... CORN. And then, tuh-duh....HFCS (also a carbohydrate, if you didn't know)

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
After leaving the military, I started to put on weight. I tried dieting and excercise, all to no avail. No, all the weight is back off and staying off. I still remain very active and cycle the 20 kms to work every day. However, what really changed it for me was buying the CD set from Paul McKenna. He is a famous hypnotherapist. I have a number of his products and the "I Can Make You Thin" set is fantastic. He also advocates that dieting and excercise will not make you lose weight.

It certainly turned my life around.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:18 AM
link   

" visceral fat, but plenty of subcutaneous fat"

Do you understand that viscera ( dynamic ) body fat is what does the damage. Subcutaneous ( static ) body fat plays only a small part.

When you have done a few thousand post-mortems. You will understand.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:27 AM
link   

I understand very well the difference between visceral fat and subcutaneous fat. However, I also understand that if you're storing large amounts of body fat, you're not doing so well.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I guess I must be the exception to the rule. Back in 2005 I weighed in at 269 pounds and was pushing a size 42 pant. I decided to go on a calorie restricted diet with exercise plan. Took about 6-7 months and I went down to 189 and a size 36 pant. I gained back about 10 pounds in the last 5 years and still am in a 36 pant.

With all due respect I disagree with the OP. Diets can and do work and I am living proof. If you follow a good plan you will lose weight. Losing weight is just about taking in less than you burn, plain and simple. The reason most people won't lose weight on a diet is because they lack the will power to truly follow a restricted calorie plan. If you are serious about it you should write down every single thing you eat and add up the calories. By the time you add in all the little stuff you are eating you will find you are still taking in too many calories. We are the fattest nation in the world because we eat more than any other nation in the world.

Insulin does play a role but it is not the entire answer to this problem. The plan you propose of eliminating breads, starches, etc is basically what the Atkins diet does. The reason Atkins works is because you send your body to keatosis (sp). And your body starts pulling the necessary fuel it needs from fat and muscle mass.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
My methhabolism is crap. I have hipothyroidism, and my weight swings from 97/109 lbs to 160/170 when it wants. I don't usually drink soda, I take my drinks without sugar or any edulcorant, i don't eat bread and just use olive oil, I have a very stressful life so I'm moving on all day...I'm just guilty of eating on McD time to time, not everyday (and McD here is a lot healthier than in the US, there's a lot of research on it. Still junk food). I usually cook at home, or eat a salad or a pasta dish on college. The last time my weight gone crazy I went from 109 to 160 in 2 months, my endochrinologyst just said: well, it's all about your thyroid, nothing to do, just wait till it come back to normal...
... and I've waited for like a year.and several visits to the endochrinologyst too. I've lost a nice ammount of weight (127 right now), but still, I want to be tiny again and wear the clothes I like =(! but over that, stop feeling fat.
I feel like a lard ball, I didn't have any pic of myself of the last year fior the same reason... and since is an endochrine reason, no diet works on me, and if I want one, I need to go to a nutritionist with a degree on thyroidal malfunctions who haves a fee that high you can buy a house with just 1 visit.

I agree that everything haves to do with hormones and procesed food. back in the time, there wasn't fat people, at least not that fat as now, because the quality of food they used to eat was completely different as the one we eat now that's is producing failures on metabolic systems on a lot of people.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by utahjay

You may be an exception. Or perhaps by restricting calories you also restricted carbs.

Insulin does play a role but it is not the entire answer to this problem. The plan you propose of eliminating breads, starches, etc is basically what the Atkins diet does. The reason Atkins works is because you send your body to keatosis (sp). And your body starts pulling the necessary fuel it needs from fat and muscle mass.

Insulin isn't the ONLY problem. Yes, the Atkins diet is based on ketosis. Ketosis occurs during periods of starvation and during extremely lowcarb diets. When glucose levels are depleted, the body begins burning fat for fuel almost entirely. The byproduct of which is ketone bodies. These ketones are used by the heart and mainly the brain for energy.

FYI...while you're sitting there reading this thread 70% of the fuel your body is burning should be fat.

posted on Sep, 23 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
i have lost about 20kg in past 5 moths by exercising & eating healthy so saying that these things do not help sounds in my point of view loads of crap. And i don't even have to starve myself i just don't eat candy, drink sodas etc. really easy!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join